Leafs Power Play

How should Leafs run their PP units

• Total voters

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leafs PP has not been a force recently that we expected it to be. While some believe that Leaf PP is the "enforcer"; our PP has been figured out in a sense by opposition.

We don't have a one-timer threat on any of our PP units; and no point shot threat (except may be Gardiner on 2nd PP unit). Rielly doesn't have a slapper or wrister that gets on net for rebounds or for tips - he hits more shin pads than Zaitsev.

1st PP unit; play runs through Marner and he gets pressured like there is no tomorrow, both rielly and marner play catch with the puck and then either marner rushes the pass/shot or rielly hits the shin-pads; matthews is well covered always - JT and Kadri are being wasted on that PP unit.

2nd PP unit there really isn't much of a threat except Nylander or Gardiner IMO. We had Leivo for a one timer or a snap shot but he is traded.

AND

Babcock decided to stack one PP unit but then decided to give equal PP mins to both the units.

So here is the poll question?

What do you think coaching staff should do?

1. Give 1st PP unit 1 min 30 seconds on the PP with a stacked unit
2. If equal PP mins are to be given then move Kadri or Matthews to the 2nd unit to have 2 good PP units that get equal time?

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Puns aside the first one. I don't see a problem with stacking your top unit so long as you give them the majority of the powerplay. Giving them 40 to 50 seconds and then swapping in the second unit makes stacking the first one pointless. If you are going to give them even amounts of time then put even amounts of talent on both.

I'd just like to see them do one or the other. He's got a stacked top unit so run with it. If he's not willing to give that unit the majority of the powerplay then don't stack it. The current approach doesn't help anything.

Reactions: PromisedLand

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
My opinion is they need a potent shot from the point. With Rielly sitting up there, teams are begging him to throw his muffin at their shin pads which lets them focus 100% on Matthews and Marner. Gardiner on the #1 unit would be an improvement for his slapper but realistically, they need to address the point shot at some point by bringing someone in who can punish teams for letting them tee it up.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
So when do all the PP, Lineups, systems tinkering end with all you guys, a week before the playoffs start or we never stop, or what?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
My opinion is they need a potent shot from the point. With Rielly sitting up there, teams are begging him to throw his muffin at their shin pads which lets them focus 100% on Matthews and Marner. Gardiner on the #1 unit would be an improvement for his slapper but realistically, they need to address the point shot at some point by bringing someone in who can punish teams for letting them tee it up.

Gardiner is also good at getting shots through to the net either for rebound or tips

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Tavares
Matthews/Kadri/Marner
Rielly

Marleau
Kapanen/Johnsson/Nylander
Gardiner

Johnsson plays middle but Willy takes faceoff.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Gardiner is also good at getting shots through to the net either for rebound or tips

tenor.gif

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy, but I might take Marner off it the #1PP unit, and put Tavares in his spot, with Marleau infront of the net; or maybe just Nylander in that spot.

I think the challenge is -- everyone knows that Rielly isn't a shot, and neither is Marner. With both Kadri & Tavares in traffic, teams can favour that side of the ice and limit their space.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Call me crazy, but I might take Marner off it the #1PP unit, and put Tavares in his spot, with Marleau infront of the net; or maybe just Nylander in that spot.

I think the challenge is -- everyone knows that Rielly isn't a shot, and neither is Marner. With both Kadri & Tavares in traffic, teams can favour that side of the ice and limit their space.
You are crazy

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I don't think it's crazy to switch Marner and Nylander on the PP units once Nylander's back healthy.

Nylander may not have the same level of passing, but they have somewhat similar passing ability (Cross-rink to Matthews, down-low to Tavares, or for a tip by Kadri) BUT also has a lethal shot. That's something would completely open the PP up against teams that have 'solved' our current PP out. Nylander was the better PP player by a large margin 1st year, and then Matthews/Nylander had a low oish% PP year last year. I do think Marner's vision is insane and better, but Nylander is no slouch and provides that extra weapon.

I would run:
Kapanen
Matthews - Johnsson - Nylander
Gardiner

Tavares
Kapanen - Kadri - Marner
Rielly

OR

Tavares
Matthews Kadri Nylander
Rielly

Also, Babcock isn't playing 1PP less than other teams on purpose. Our team's 1PP draws a LOT more penalties than other teams top players. Saw someones tweet that Leafs 4 of the top 6 penalty drawers were on the 1PP (total 32 drawn penalties), while Washington only had 2 of the top 6 (9 penalties drawn). So obviously Washington's able to play their 1st PP right away, while Babcock has to play his 2nd PP right away because Marner/Kadri/Tavares/Matthews were just playing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What a joke of a thread. Rielly hits more shin pads. lol look at his shots on goal stats sure debunks this nonsense. He does not need a slap shot nor does any pp in the nhl from the blue line. Marner rushes his passes etc. He often one touches passes as he is a pass ahead of every one.

Our power play has been fine we are simply getting beat by posts and lucky goaltending right now.

As for what the coaching staff should do...my first thought is to not listen to people who know very little about the game to influence you.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't think it's crazy to switch Marner and Nylander on the PP units once Nylander's back healthy.

Nylander may not have the same level of passing, but they have somewhat similar passing ability (Cross-rink to Matthews, down-low to Tavares, or for a tip by Kadri) BUT also has a lethal shot. That's something would completely open the PP up against teams that have 'solved' our current PP out. Nylander was the better PP player by a large margin 1st year, and then Matthews/Nylander had a low oish% PP year last year. I do think Marner's vision is insane and better, but Nylander is no slouch and provides that extra weapon.

I would run:
Kapanen
Matthews - Johnsson - Nylander
Gardiner

Tavares
Kapanen - Kadri - Marner
Rielly

OR

Tavares
Matthews Kadri Nylander
Rielly

Also, Babcock isn't playing 1PP less than other teams on purpose. Our team's 1PP draws a LOT more penalties than other teams top players. Saw someones tweet that Leafs 4 of the top 6 penalty drawers were on the 1PP (total 32 drawn penalties), while Washington only had 2 of the top 6 (9 penalties drawn). So obviously Washington's able to play their 1st PP right away, while Babcock has to play his 2nd PP right away because Marner/Kadri/Tavares/Matthews were just playing.

Mathews wants to play on the top pp unit. And any unit with Marner and Rielly on it is the top unit.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
What a joke of a thread. Rielly hits more shin pads. lol look at his shots on goal stats sure debunks this nonsense. He does not need a slap shot nor does any pp in the NHL from the blue line. Marner rushes his passes etc. He often one touches passes as he is a pass ahead of everyone.

Our power play has been fine we are simply getting beat by posts and lucky goaltending right now.

As for what the coaching staff should do...my first thought is to not listen to people who know very little about the game to influence you.

having a good slap shot from the point is not needed but it's another threat and a bonus ... c'mon, I know your Rielly is your boy but seriously.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

swint

Nov 16, 2014
PP1

Marleau
Matthews-Kadri-Nylander
Rielly

PP2

Tavares
Marner-Johnsson-Kapanen
Gardiner

Play them equal.

Nylander is way better than Marner at opening space along the wall in order to make the cross-ice pass to Matthews. He also provides an alternative shooting threat if Matthews is covered.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I just was looking at some stats, and I think our defense shoots the least amount of slaps shot in the league, interesting.

• 10`Jake
  • 9`Rielly
  • 8`Dermott
  • 7`hainsey
  • 7`Zaitsev
  • 5`Oz
Jake is # 114 in the league at slap shots taken.

top 5 D in the league
  • 50`Josi
  • 48`dumba
  • 47`yandle
  • 46`burns
  • 44`keith

Last edited:

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I would like to stack the PP units and give them 1:30, and swap Gardiner and Rielly so we have a threat from the point.

However, since Babcock loves to split PP time regardless of the unit's strength, then they should divide the PP units and give each 1 min.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marleau
Matthews-Kadri/Johnsson Marner
Rielly

Tavares
Kapanen-Johnsson/Kadri-Nylander
Gardiner

Let Mo, Marner, and Matthews run the top powerplay

Give nylander, jake great finishers in kapanen, and tavares apong with either kadri/Johnsson and we can have two deadly units

Go 1 minute each approximately.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Mathews wants to play on the top pp unit. And any unit with Marner and Rielly on it is the top unit.

Was Marner/Rielly's PP unit the top unit the year before last year?
It was the Matthews/Nylander/Gardiner PP.

Nothing wrong with switching out Marner for Nylander if opposition teams are blocking all of his passing options. Willy has a lethal shot that teams can't aftord to not block, which leaves passing lanes open for him if needed.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad