Waived: Leafs place Peter Holland on waivers [CLEARED]

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Martin is the best, if not one of the best 4th liners in the league when it comes to shot generation/prevention.

That's simply not true. He's actually one of the worst players in the league in terms of shot generation. That's why I get frustrated when I see some people putting him on Matthews line, Martin cannot create any offense.

Story_1.0.png

He is good at shot suppression though. When he's on the ice, shot attempts are reduced for both teams. That's why he needs to be deployed properly, playing around 10-11 minutes per game on the 4th line explicitly to muck up the game against better players.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, I like how Lee Stempniak has been on, what feels like half the teams in the league, yet we are the ones who "dumped" him :laugh:

Also, Stralman was dumped by 2 other teams before finally finding success.

Jimmy Hayes is a 25-30 point 3rd line player.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Dude... what if they score 35 points over the next 3 years like Tlusty has done in the previous 3?

How will we ever live that down?

We simply can't do it. If Tlusty puts it all together he could still be a 50 pt player! It only took 5 years and 4 different teams to do it but shame on the Leafs for letting go of a guy to early!!!

Mad Brills*

Dude... what if they score 35 points over the next 3 years like Tlusty has done in the previous 3?

I know that many on here think new management can do no wrong, but getting nothing for holland would've been a very bad move.

Hopefully he stays and makes the team.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Get value for them instead of dumping them for inferior ones.

WHAT VALUE?!?!?!?

He was put on waivers during the easiest time of year for a team to claim him, and HE WASN'T CLAIMED.

Like come on. This isn't rocket science.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Get value for them instead of dumping them for inferior ones.

He cleared waivers. He has no or next to no value right now. We could do a contract for contract + pick swap MAYBE, but that depends on what his arbitration award comes back as.

I have no reason to believe that Holland would be a better 4th liner than Martin. Not only that but what does Holland produce without the PP time he saw? 5 of his goals and 11 of his point came on the PP.

Want an idea of what Holland's value is? Take a look at Kris Versteeg who is a better player than him.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I know that many on here think new management can do no wrong, but getting nothing for holland would've been a very bad move.

Hopefully he stays and makes the team.

How is it a very bad move? I could see an argument for a poor move or a meh move but how is it a very bad move? What has Holland ever shown with the Leafs that suggests he will be a better player? Maybe one game against Chicago where we blew them out like 9-3 or something like that?

Mr Hockey*

Holland has value but just not at 2 million a season. His self worth is creating no interest.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
If you want my honest opinion right now here is what I will say:

If Holland leaves and becomes a top 6 forward then good for him. I won't fault the Leafs for cutting lose a 25 year old who is performing as a dime a dozen player. That is on Holland for putting in the work and becoming a better player. Congratulations to him then.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Losing players for nothing isn't a good strategy for asset management.

I missed the part where Holland is now on another team..... Oh that's right, he's still within the organization.

If your asset has zero trade value how does one expect to strategize asset management? How do we know he has zero trade value? He went unclaimed through waivers where teams could have pick him up for free.

Yeesh.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

To be fair, I'd much rather see those guys than say McClement, Orr, Maclaren, and some others who have seen regular icetime on the Leafs over the past few seasons.

I also think Holland is a better player than Martin too.

Mad Brills*

To be fair, I'd much rather see those guys than say McClement, Orr, Maclaren, and some others who have seen regular icetime on the Leafs over the past few seasons.

I also think Holland is a better player than Martin too.

Colborne too.

He's mediocre, but a hell a ton better than mcclement/orr/maca

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I missed the part where Holland is now on another team..... Oh that's right, he's still within the organization.

If your asset has zero trade value how does one expect to strategize asset management? How do we know he has zero trade value? He went unclaimed through waivers where teams could have pick him up for free.

Yeesh.

He also priced himself out of a job....

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He also priced himself out of a job....

I think that's more with why no one was interested in claiming him than his skill level.

I do think the asset management is questionable at times, and I do think in some cases we are a little bit harsh on some guys (or give other guys way too much credit), but given the state of the franchise it happens I guess. All you hope is that it balances out or tilts in your favour by the end of the day.

I'm just hoping that after the last few stragglers are out (the UFA's, Holland, a couple of prospects, etc.) that maybe they are able to get more out of the guys who no longer fit in the organization (i.e. what Anaheim did with Holland).

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
I'm not sure what kind of trade return people are expecting for a player that cleared waivers.

Spare me the 'asset management' BS.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I completely agree with everything you've said and it all points to one logical solution:

Put him on the wing. He could be a VERY poor mans version of Bobby Ryan, a lazy, big body with some skill to play on the wing of a solid defensive center(Koma?).

2.1 isn't that far off in terms of value considering his scoring pace last season.

If you pick someone like Greening (& his salary) to compare him to, that's interesting too.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
God to listen to some of you...

Seems people need to look up the word negotiation in the dictionary.

The leafs obviously feel he has value or they would not have tendered him a QO.

I have yet to hear of a player going into arbitration low balling themselves.

But yes, how dare a player exercise their negotiated rights.. :shakehead

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That's simply not true. He's actually one of the worst players in the league in terms of shot generation. That's why I get frustrated when I see some people putting him on Matthews line, Martin cannot create any offense.

Story_1.0.png

He is good at shot suppression though. When he's on the ice, shot attempts are reduced for both teams. That's why he needs to be deployed properly, playing around 10-11 minutes per game on the 4th line explicitly to muck up the game against better players.

Who cares about shot generation? Hes a fourth liner. Their job should be dont get scored on, which he is good at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad