Prospect Info: Leafs pick - #65 - Andrew Nielsen (D) Lethbridge WHL 6-3 207lbs

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So he is a RD, I thought he was a LD. That changes things, but he still only has Loov potential. A lot better options available.

EDIT: So I guess he is a RD. Who knows. But if he is, maybe he can become a Schenn or even a Gudbranson. Probably not top pairing, but could be good 2nd pairing. Competition for Granberg, Nilsson and Donaghey at least.

He's a LD but proved capable of playing the right side this year when necessary.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
This is really the only pick I don't really understand. Especially that early. He was our 1st 3rd round pick I believe. Doesn't seem to have much upside. Someone who knows more about him want to chime in?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
This is really the only pick I don't really understand. Especially that early. He was our 1st 3rd round pick I believe. Doesn't seem to have much upside. Someone who knows more about him want to chime in?

All i know is from the interviews on the maple leafs site. Says he got into hockey late, playing 'BB' league 3 or 4 years ago. Seemed to give off the sense that they hope his stock continues to rise.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Pretty obvious that someone with WHL insight advised the Leafs to take him when it seemed right. Not sure if that was a parting gift from Kelly McCrimmon for being offered the job or what.

There was a ton of mediocre defensemen available at this point in the draft - someone knows something.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I watched him play more then a few times this year, Very physical and punishing D man. He has heavy feet but his foot work improved from the start of the season to the end. Strong work ethic, he is a project but not a huge one. Not disappointed with this pick in the least. I seen and spoke with Al Murray at some of the games and seems like Tampa had him on their radar as well. Al is a good judge of talent.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Can't believe we picked this guy over mitchell vande sompel... Something tells me this was a Dave Morrison pick, Hunter prob just wanted to give him 1 to get his crazies out of the way

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Only pick I wasn't familiar (or enthused) with. Thought we could have used a goalie around here and Ryan Pilon was still on the board...

But this was a solid A draft. Elated with the overall results.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
#50 and rising in Central Scouting among NA skaters. Being drafted at 65 is not out of line with that ranking at least. I didn't see Lethbridge play this year so I have no mental picture of him at all.

The one thing I can say with confidence is that the reason they took this guy over Van den Sompel is not because the Leafs are prejudiced against small players in the draft!

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
With #4/#5/#6 D getting up to 4.5 million a season. Its not bad to have a couple guys like Loov, Nilsson, Granberg, Percy, MacWilliam, plus one or two new prospects every year to fight for those spots and create competition.

Someone looks like they will demand to much, trade them at the deadline and promote within.

I.E. Chicago using guys like Runblad, and TVR and not being afraid to trade Leddy. The odds of getting an actual core player in the 3rd round is probably less than 1% (without actually looking into it). Depth picks are necessary in the cap world, they are what allow you to go for the bang or bust types.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
With #4/#5/#6 D getting up to 4.5 million a season. Its not bad to have a couple guys like Loov, Nilsson, Granberg, Percy, MacWilliam, plus one or two new prospects every year to fight for those spots and create competition.

Someone looks like they will demand to much, trade them at the deadline and promote within.

I.E. Chicago using guys like Runblad, and TVR and not being afraid to trade Leddy. The odds of getting an actual core player in the 3rd round is probably less than 1% (without actually looking into it). Depth picks are necessary in the cap world, they are what allow you to go for the bang or bust types.

Interesting point.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
I think the leafs are banking on him being a late bloomer, which considering all the data we can have (started his hockey career late, first year in junior hockey, showed good progress through the year...) is not out of the realm !! ok pick

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I watched him play more then a few times this year, Very physical and punishing D man. He has heavy feet but his foot work improved from the start of the season to the end. Strong work ethic, he is a project but not a huge one. Not disappointed with this pick in the least. I seen and spoke with Al Murray at some of the games and seems like Tampa had him on their radar as well. Al is a good judge of talent.

Thanks for the insight on him.

It's nice to see a post like this rather than some of the other stuff in here.

snizzb0ne

Feb 10, 2015
Really no point in criticizing this pick if we don't know much about him. Until otherwise, have some faith in Hunter, Hofford, Dubas and the rest of the people working in our scouting department. Someone obviously saw something they like about him, and since our prospect pool is deep on defense, let this kid develop.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He has a far better toolkit than people are making it sound here.

He's not just a big bruising guy. He has some offensive skill, even though they're extremely raw. He moves the puck hard and has a big shot. His numbers should climb drastically before making the jump to the AHL.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
He has a far better toolkit than people are making it sound here.

He's not just a big bruising guy. He has some offensive skill, even though they're extremely raw. He moves the puck hard and has a big shot. His numbers should climb drastically before making the jump to the AHL.

With the mess that that team was anybody that played well should be appreciated. I believe that the organization is much better and that he will thrive in a better environment

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
This trend where everyone wants every pick to be a small skill guy is so obnoxious

yea we get it, you're so brilliant.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Nielsen is a big two-way defense man. While his skating doesn’t look overly clean or crisp, he gets around at a decent pace with some power, can move the puck with some efficiency and plays with an edge.

buttman*

Can't believe we picked this guy over mitchell vande sompel... Something tells me this was a Dave Morrison pick, Hunter prob just wanted to give him 1 to get his crazies out of the way

You can be sure that this draft was Huner's draft -- 100%. Look at London. Tons of small skilled players up front -- big bodies on the backend.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Was hoping for Sandstrom, MVS or Cirelli here.

But hey, the way the rest of the draft went, I have no real reason to doubt this pick.

Some people were pretty meh on the Valiev pick. Now, I'd say everyone pretty much loves that pick.

So, we'll see :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Cool story. He was Dion's waterboy at Red Deer.

Waterboy, Phaneuf reunite with Maple Leafs: report

Nielsen, the Maple Leafs' third-round pick (No. 65) at the 2015 NHL Draft, was the waterboy for the Red Deer Rebels in the Western Hockey League from 2003-05. Phaneuf was a top defenseman for Red Deer at the time.

"It was pretty cool to idolize him, watch what he did best and see him grow as a person," Nielsen told the Toronto Sun during Maple Leafs prospect camp this week. "I tried to take in as much as I could from him.

[NHL]832181[/NHL]

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=774549

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad