Prospect Info: Leafs Pick #125 - Dmytro Timashov - LW/RW - UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Timashov was a victim of the numbers game. With Laich, Michalek and Greening taking up roster spots to begin the year, Timashov was relegated to the 4th line when he saw any ice time at all. After the new year, when the veterans [Laich & Michalek] were relegated to Robidas Island, Timashov improved each month with more icetime. The AHL might be the roughest league in the world and at times he looked intimidated nevertheless once he realized he could slash/hack/cross check/ back, he found the ice began to open up. It's about respect. If a player knows he can crush you with no repercussions, they will do so. Once those players discover Timashov will spear/slash/hurt them back, they have second thoughts.
Timashov should have a break-out season in 2017/18 with the Marlies.

As someone who watched a lot of Marlies games this year, this is bang on.

He stepped up even moreso when Leipsic and Kapanen went down with injuries and played in and around a point-per-game clip for a lengthy period of time (if I remember correctly).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who will be the Marlies centers this season? Last year it was a problem

Well if you draft mostly wingers then having centres will be a problem. ;)

Leafs winger prospects like Nytro will also be victims in their development without playmaking centres to feed them.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Who will be the Marlies centers this season? Last year it was a problem

brooks should be on the marlies next season. but i have a feeling they see him as a winger, is it worth playing him at C in AHL while W is likely where he will play on the leafs (if he ever does play for the leafs)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Was there ever an explanation of why he was scratched from 5 playoff games?

Next season is a whole new season. He was barely 20 at the beginning of this past season. The most disappointing aspect of this season was that his role didn't seem to increase as the season progressed. What we don't know is whether he had some nagging injury issue.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
brooks should be on the marlies next season. but i have a feeling they see him as a winger, is it worth playing him at C in AHL while W is likely where he will play on the leafs (if he ever does play for the leafs)

Maybe Toninato too unless Leafs let him walk into free agency

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Was there ever an explanation of why he was scratched from 5 playoff games?

Next season is a whole new season. He was barely 20 at the beginning of this past season. The most disappointing aspect of this season was that his role didn't seem to increase as the season progressed. What we don't know is whether he had some nagging injury issue.

Marlies needed to add toughness, Clune was dressed.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Ummm, yes? If a guy can develop as a center you develop them as a center. You can never have too many centers on your roster for injuries, and depth. They can play on the wing in the meantime. You don't just develop 3 centers, turn all your other center prospects into wingers because hey we have 3, they're never going to get injured, penalized, or thrown out of a faceoff circle, and we don't want them playing on the 4th line. So we only need wingers.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think you will see Brooks, Gauthier and Aaltonen as 3 of the centres for next season.

I assume Ben Smith will be the 4th, assuming he makes it through waivers. Goat will probably be hurt to start the year so there may be an AHL contract or 2 as depth that starts the year playing, maybe Toninato if he can't get an ELC, who knows.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Is Dakota Joshua a winger or centre? I'm assuming he's back in the NCAA next season, but could be on the Marlies in 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad