Proposal: Leafs - Pens Intriguing Goaltending deal

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Fine concept but the value of goalies is just really not close to making this a fair proposal.

Leafs have seen Timashov do great things since they selected him and he is trending now higher and higher.

The Leafs have Andersen for the next 5+ years and are openly looking for a veteran backup to provide mentoring.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Leafs would be far better off signing Scrivens, Chad Johnson or Carter Hutton to be their backup. Neither guy will cost much and all 3 are going to be better in '16.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
There is no way the leafs do this for a backup. Just sign a fa. You don't give up a 2nd round pick and good prospect for a guy that will play 20 games probably max next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I thought it was a one for one... but then noticed the 2nd haha.. Leafs wouldn't give up that package

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
:leafs

Jarry

:pens

Timashov

2017 2nd (OTT)

Leafs get a solid goaltender of the future that is currently behind a logjam in Pitsburgh in return for a promising forward prospect with offensive upside and a mid-range 2nd in 2017

thoughts? is value fair? if not, what should be added?

here is the main thing for me. Elliot went for a 2nd and conditional 3rd and he was a decent starter. Jarry is young so that helps his value but he is also a backup goalie at best right now.

With all this in mind we are much better off signing a backup or sending an extra forward we don't need for another team's backup and using the 2nd round pick on a goalie in the 2017 draft while keeping a potential decent NHL player in Timashov.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't see Sparks becoming an NHL backup any time soon. Rather than go out and continually find a stop-gap backups through FA I thought it would be wiser to invest some assets into having someone who can challenge Freddy for the #1 eventually.

The part that is bolded is the solution the Leafs will deploy according to their management. Its actually a pretty common solution amongst NHL GMs and far better that offering prospects/draft choices.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Leafs aren't giving up another 2 prospects for a goaltender in the same off season. Bad asset management.

tbaypensfan

Jul 6, 2016
this is a big no from the Pens, Jarry is going to have way more value after this season either within the organization after they trade fleury or as a backup to murray,
also next season more teams will be looking for the jarry type so no need to do this now

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Anderson was brought in to stabilize the net for the next five years while they develop a few goaltenders.

Only interest I have in bringing in a young goaltender is being part of a much larger trade for other pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad