Speculation: Leafs/Penguins Mock Trade.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Makes zero sense for Pens to do this. Not a chance.

Also, if TO decided to roll with MM as their starter, they will continue to be a team that struggles to make the playoffs...

hate this for both teams

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Murray isn't even a starter at this point. Look at his numbers the past couple seasons. No chance he's getting a 5-6m contract with term.

Ya last year was a down year but look at the season before.

2018 - 2019 Stats
Murray
29 Wins - 11th in the league
.919 % - 11th in the league
4 S0 - tied 4th in the league
2.69 GA - 23rd in the league

Thats was one year ago and he's still only 26 yrs old.

If he isn't a starter what does that make the other 19 goals with a worse save % than him?

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I don't see why not. I mean I think a three-way of Fleury going to Pittsburgh, Murray going to Toronto and Andersen going to Vegas would make sense.

But I also believe Andersen should be going to Anaheim, but Gibson to Colorado would be a good fit. So there are many cases to be made here.
If HF has taught me anything, it’s that someone is gonna make a 5team trade outta this, and the comments will be glorious

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The amount of idiocy posted about Murray in this thread is astounding. More and more this site proves it doesn't have the slightest clue when it comes to goaltending, the extent of the analysis on here is looking at save% on HockeyDB :laugh:

To answer the OP, no the Penguins don't do it. They need to move Murray's cap hit without taking money back to just get cap compliant.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Teams do "due diligence" by asking about players all the time. His injuries have taken their toll on him, and there is no guarantee he will ever become the Murray from his.....well, partial first season, and his only truly great full season - 4 years ago. I'm sure there is interest, but at what price? He was outplayed statistically by DeSmith in 2017/18 and 2018/19, and soundly outplayed by Jarry this past season. Hardly the platform to command any real return.

What team under these circumstances (flat cap, internal budgets) is going to play Russian Roulette with an arb eligible player who has been statistically the second best goalie on his team each of the past 3 seasons, and whose reputation far exceeds his actual numbers and play over that span?

If teams are asking about him, he has value. Teams don't do their "due diligence" on players who are "nearly worthless". You don't see reports of multiple teams doing their "due diligence" on Micheal Hutchinson because that's an example of "nearly worthless".

I'm not saying Murray's going to land a huge haul, but to say he's "nearly worthless" is stupid when there's this much interest in him. Multiple teams don't show that kind of interest in someone with practically no value.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If teams are asking about him, he has value. Teams don't do their "due diligence" on players who are "nearly worthless". You don't see reports of multiple teams doing their "due diligence" on Micheal Hutchinson because that's an example of "nearly worthless".

I'm not saying Murray's going to land a huge haul, but to say he's "nearly worthless" is stupid when there's this much interest in him. Multiple teams don't show that kind of interest in someone with practically no value.
and yet, teams have traded for him. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean GMs aren't talking about him. Murray just has a lot more name recognition

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
and yet, teams have traded for him. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean GMs aren't talking about him. Murray just has a lot more name recognition

So you don't think Murray's going to go for much more than a 5th or 6th round pick or a like-wise backup goalie or third string goalie?

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
leafs want an upgrade. this isnt that
leafs need cap space. Murray with arbitration rights is likely getting 5 or more

why are the leafs doing this?

Leafs definitely don’t need an upgrade and they almost certainly won’t be starting next season with somebody better. Freddy is one of the best in the league and if they make a move I would be very happy if the goalie they get to replace him is anywhere close to his level.

But of the goalies available they’re not getting an upgrade unless something unexpected goes down. The only reason they’re exploring trade ideas is strictly for cap related reasons and his upcoming UFA status. Leafs would be thrilled to keep Freddy around for the next 5 years if that were doable.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So you don't think Murray's going to go for much more than a 5th or 6th round pick or a like-wise backup goalie or third string goalie?
not sure. All it takes is one team to really like him and betting on him to bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised if that team exists, but I don't think his general value around the league is very high. What do you think his value is?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
not sure. All it takes is one team to really like him and betting on him to bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised if that team exists, but I don't think his general value around the league is very high. What do you think his value is?

Somewhere in the ballpark of very late 1st or a 2nd round pick and middle tier prospect. And even if all he gets is a 2nd or 3rd round pick, the original poster's "nearly worthless" take is still ridiculous because players that are "nearly worthless" don't land that kind of value.

It's asinine that people actually consider Murray "nearly worthless". "Nearly worthless" is the return the Pens got for Nick Bjugstad. That's an example of someone that had virtually no value, not a goalie who has multiple teams talking with Rutherford.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Makes no sense for either team. also if the Leafs had interest in this, you'd think it would have been part of the Kapanen deal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

By the way, you still didn't say what you thought his return/value is. Saying "all it takes is one team to really like him" is hedging your bets. If you truly believe he's "nearly worthless" then you shouldn't worry about one team liking him that much and offering a high price. No team is going to offer Colorado a 2nd round pick for Hutchinson, for example.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Somewhere in the ballpark of very late 1st or a 2nd round pick and middle tier prospect. And even if all he gets is a 2nd or 3rd round pick, the original poster's "nearly worthless" take is still ridiculous because players that are "nearly worthless" don't land that kind of value.

It's asinine that people actually consider Murray "nearly worthless". "Nearly worthless" is the return the Pens got for Nick Bjugstad. That's an example of someone that had virtually no value, not a goalie who has multiple teams talking with Rutherford.
Well I wouldn't say nearly worthless. He won 2 cups and has had success in the past, so there are definitely teams out there who will give up something for him in the hopes he bounces back. But on the other hand, he is coming off a terrible year, has had injury/personal troubles, and will not sign a cheap contract. A lot of teams will consider him to not have value because of those things, and I would hope the Leafs are one of those teams. But then again there are teams who are desperate for a goalie who might be able to rebound in a guy who can win a cup

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pittsburgh wouldn't do it from a cap standpoint either. That is little help.

REAL DOLLARS. JFC.

People are so dense sometimes. If the Leafs pay Andersen's bonus, the Pens get a legitimate goaltender behind Jarry for a million dollars in real cash and the Leafs foot Murray's new contract.

Every move Rutherford has made so far has cut "real dollars" for the organization.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Yeah, probably not. Murray will likely command something similar to Andersen without being a real upgrade and pitt is looking to offload a goalie, not bring another into the fold. Doesn't really work

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I don't think either teams would be interested.

Pittsburgh has two other very capable and cheaper goalies, they don't need Andersen.

For the Leafs, I think if they do move Andersen they'll go after someone cheaper to tandem with Campbell. Murray's cup pedigree and current contract is going to jack up his new contract but I'm very wary of his struggles over the last three years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad