Speculation: Leafs/Penguins Mock Trade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The purpose of a Murray trade is to move a goalie who is scheduled to make a decent chunk of change and leave space to address other issues while handing the reins to Jarry. How does this accomplish that?

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Pittsburgh is in go for it mode now; Crosby, Malkin and Letang are on the back nine of their careers. Why tie up money in Anderson when they can use that cap space to fill other needs, sure he may only cost $1m in real dollars but the cap space is still gone and they are not appreciably better in net by making this move.

Again if your moving Murray it’s for other assets which make your team better for the next couple of seasons while Crosby and Malkin can still lead them to another cup.

Reactions: qqaz

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is in go for it mode now; Crosby, Malkin and Letang are on the back nine of their careers. Why tie up money in Anderson when they can use that cap space to fill other needs, sure he may only cost $1m in real dollars but the cap space is still gone and they are not appreciably better in net by making this move.

Again if your moving Murray it’s for other assets which make your team better for the next couple of seasons while Crosby and Malkin can still lead them to another cup.

If the Pens wanted to steal a page from the Pirates handbook, they’d move forward with this because it gives the illusion of them competing (spending to the cap), but in reality it’s a way to boost the bottom line (actual salary).

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This will sound bad, but there is no other way to put it. Murray is currently nearly worthless for a few reasons. The last 3 years combined he has been significantly worse than almost any starter, and there are a lot of the UFA goalies on the market. He has a very troubling injury history including at least 3 concussions, and the team trading for him has no cost certainty. If he gets anything significant (ie: $6 million), the team trading for him may be forced to accept whatever he is awarded or they spent assets for nothing. They can't walk away from the arb award after giving up assets.

I can't see any team giving up anything for him without an agreement in place, and even if so....it wont be much because of the injury history and poor play in 2 of the last 3 seasons, including coming off his worst season ever this year.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why wouldn't the Penguins just resign Murray for $5mil?

I would only do this if there was a third party that wanted Andersen and would give that mid 1st round pick value for him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Why wouldn't the Penguins just resign Murray for $5mil?

I would only do this if there was a third party that wanted Andersen and would give that mid 1st round pick value for him.
They can, or they can get Andersen for 1M

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This will sound bad, but there is no other way to put it. Murray is currently nearly worthless for a few reasons. The last 3 years combined he has been significantly worse than almost any starter, and there are a lot of the UFA goalies on the market. He has a very troubling injury history including at least 3 concussions, and the team trading for him has no cost certainty. If he gets anything significant (ie: $6 million), the team trading for him may be forced to accept whatever he is awarded or they spent assets for nothing. They can't walk away from the arb award after giving up assets.

I can't see any team giving up anything for him without an agreement in place, and even if so....it wont be much because of the injury history and poor play.

It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds dumb. The fact there are multiple teams interested in Murray already makes your take that he's "nearly worthless" a horrible take.

1FreakZilla3

Jan 2, 2014
Oshawa
there are alot of teams hoping they can bring murray in and get him back to his cup winning form, this will be a risk reward type of trade, just dont see many teams dropping a 1st for this type of scenario..

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't see why not. I mean I think a three-way of Fleury going to Pittsburgh, Murray going to Toronto and Andersen going to Vegas would make sense.

But I also believe Andersen should be going to Anaheim, but Gibson to Colorado would be a good fit. So there are many cases to be made here.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Pittsburgh would do it because Andersen has more value and they could just easily flip him to a different team. This would be really dumb for the Leafs to do though

Reactions: kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think it’s possible they have similar value, but I don’t think this is the fit either team is looking for. Andersen makes sense in the fact he’s only owed 1 million is real money but they have Desmith, that’s not the asset they need, and it’ll only delay Jarry being the long term number 1. The Leafs aren’t planning on spending more on a goalie, and in arbitration that might be what Murray is awarded. Both teams would just prefer to sell their goalie for whatever value another team will give them

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds dumb. The fact there are multiple teams interested in Murray already makes your take that he's "nearly worthless" a horrible take.
Teams do "due diligence" by asking about players all the time. His injuries have taken their toll on him, and there is no guarantee he will ever become the Murray from his.....well, partial first season, and his only truly great full season - 4 years ago. I'm sure there is interest, but at what price? He was outplayed statistically by DeSmith in 2017/18 and 2018/19, and soundly outplayed by Jarry this past season. Hardly the platform to command any real return.

What team under these circumstances (flat cap, internal budgets) is going to play Russian Roulette with an arb eligible player who has been statistically the second best goalie on his team each of the past 3 seasons, and whose reputation far exceeds his actual numbers and play over that span?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad