Proposal: Leafs ~ Penguins at the deadline.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I was obviously talking about Kapanen...read my post again. Jesus Christ.

12.05.2018-14.08.png

The next time you feel like being an ******* to someone, you might want to re-read the post you are quoting.

@mashedpotato

You just going to ignore this now?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I think there is some league bylaw against trading for a player back you're retaining salary on, but I don't know that for sure. What I DO know is that this is a dumb trade for Toronto. You should keep Kapanen.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Why does Pittsburgh do this? They're not rebuilding or looking for futures...

I think you mean the "only team". He had an 8 team trade list and indicated that he wasn't willing to amend it. No one else on that list had the cap space for him (or if they did, they needed it within 12 months to re-sign their own guys).

Which meant Toronto had 2 options. Either trade Kessel to Pittsburgh at a price they were willing to pay, or to hold onto him and hope things change down the road. Do you think you get Marner or Matthews if you had Kessel giving you an extra few wins every season?

Technically the Leafs already had Marner, so the Leafs would still have him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think there is some league bylaw against trading for a player back you're retaining salary on, but I don't know that for sure. What I DO know is that this is a dumb trade for Toronto. You should keep Kapanen.

You can't trade for players that have been on your roster that another team is retaining salary on if they had been on your roster that season already. So Pittsburgh couldn't acquire Hagelin with LA retaining on him. But because it's been several years, Toronto could get Kessel even if PIT retained on him.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
No. Not even close.

Kessel only goes for a good top 3 Dman. Not spare parts and a pick.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
HF: Leafs have a cap crunch coming up!
Also HF: HEY LEAFS TAKE THIS EXPENSIVE STAR PLAYER.

Can't work. Won't work even without a cap as the Leafs have moved on.

Leafs will go absolutely all in on expiring contacts but nothing that extends beyond this year.
a Leafs fan appears to have started this thread. this reaction is silly.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Are you planning to get JR blackout drunk first? :laugh: that’s a horrible offer and OP already wasn’t enough.

Hows that a horrible offer?

The pens basically gave us Kappy and the latest possible first round pick for a 27/28 year old, retained Kessel.

Johnsson is basically the same player Kappy was in 2015 with his speed and offensive potential.

Trust me, i know Kessel is an awesome player, but hes now 31 and has always been quite one dimensional.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This is a longshot but if Pittsburgh is still somehow bottom 10 by then they might be more open to it. Kessels getting older but hes still a PPG player and he would make are offence even more elite.

We will obviously have to clear cash by either trading one of Marleau, Brown or another piece. This offer is contingent in that we have to be able to make space first.

You're going to love the next part. I'd like Penguins to retain $1.2m on his salary. That would equal out the salary retention we did in the other trade. Of course, you will be compensated.

Kasperi Kapanen
2019 1st lottery protected
2020 2nd pick
Johnsson/Bracco
Andreas Borgman

Am I way off here?

How is it that Kessel is now years older and we are giving them more than they gave us?

Also we have enough right wingers

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Thank god. Because the Leafs want no part of that 90 point winger.

I dont understand why Kessels value has suddenly skyrocketed to Pens fans. Toronto traded him in his prime with retention for Kappy and the 30th overall pick. kappy at the time was nothing special and we knew the pick was going to be later.

Why do people think now that hes 31, he has more value?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hows that a horrible offer?

The pens basically gave us Kappy and the latest possible first round pick for a 27/28 year old, retained Kessel.

Johnsson is basically the same player Kappy was in 2015 with his speed and offensive potential.

Trust me, i know Kessel is an awesome player, but hes now 31 and has always been quite one dimensional.

You wanted to get rid of Kessel no matter what, Pittsburgh doesn’t. You were rebuilding, Pittsburgh isn’t.

Johnsson is a 24 year old bottom six forward, Kapanen was an 18 year old that had recently gone 22nd overall.

Kessel was coming off a ~60 point season and was -34, he’s now coming off a ~90 point season and while still isn’t great defensively he isn’t a green jacket candidate anymore.

Ignoring the additional pieces (Harrington/Biggs/2nd etc) they are wildly different scenarios and the value is horrible for the Pens.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I love me some Kessel, but bridges were burnt in Toronto for the Thrill. I seriously doubt he wants to be back in the blue & white ever again (well, maybe if Steve Simmonds mysteriously vanishes, but even then I'm not sure).

Even then, this seems like a really bad idea for the Leafs unless they were immediately flipping him to get rid of the retention.

And even then, this seems like a worse idea for the Penguins. Why move the guy when he's on such a sweet deal?

They get more then we got for him and he’s older now. No way.

To be fair, we also got hosed in that deal for a variety of reasons.....it absolutely worked out for us in the (not even that long) long run, but if we wanted him back we would almost surely pay more than we got last time around.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
You wanted to get rid of Kessel no matter what, Pittsburgh didn’t. You were rebuilding, Pittsburgh isn’t.

Johnsson is a 24 year old bottom six forward, Kapanen was an 18 year old that had recently gone 22nd overall.

Kessel was coming off a ~60 point season and was -34, he’s now coming off a ~90 point season and while still isn’t great defensively he isn’t a green jacket candidate anymore.

Ignoring the additional pieces (Harrington/Biggs/2nd etc) they are wildly different scenarios and the value is horrible for the Pens.

Yes the scenarios are absolutely different, but i dont see a single team offering more, if not much more than that.

I would love to see though

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes the scenarios are absolutely different, but i dont see a single team offering more, if not much more than that.

I would love to see though

From an Oiler POV the comparable offer is, what, Caggiula+1st / and our first will be a lot better than yours so top 20 protected?

If we had the cap space, done faster than the Pens could blink.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This is a longshot but if Pittsburgh is still somehow bottom 10 by then they might be more open to it. Kessels getting older but hes still a PPG player and he would make are offence even more elite.

We will obviously have to clear cash by either trading one of Marleau, Brown or another piece. This offer is contingent in that we have to be able to make space first.

You're going to love the next part. I'd like Penguins to retain $1.2m on his salary. That would equal out the salary retention we did in the other trade. Of course, you will be compensated.

Kasperi Kapanen
2019 1st lottery protected
2020 2nd pick
Johnsson/Bracco
Andreas Borgman

Am I way off here?
Why would the leafs need their 2019 1st pick lottery protected.:laugh:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Brian Burke ain't the GM here anymore, we don't want or need Kessel. Can't even fit a player like him in our cap at this point without some retention.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: