Proposal: Leafs ~ Penguins at the deadline.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
This is a longshot but if Pittsburgh is still somehow bottom 10 by then they might be more open to it. Kessels getting older but hes still a PPG player and he would make are offence even more elite.

We will obviously have to clear cash by either trading one of Marleau, Brown or another piece. This offer is contingent in that we have to be able to make space first.

You're going to love the next part. I'd like Penguins to retain $1.2m on his salary. That would equal out the salary retention we did in the other trade. Of course, you will be compensated.

Kasperi Kapanen
2019 1st lottery protected
2020 2nd pick
Johnsson/Bracco
Andreas Borgman

Am I way off here?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Thats basically more than what Toronto gave up for him.

I would do a 1st plus Johnsson. this scenario is obviously only possible if there is no cap

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Kessel is still extremely good but $5.6 million (actually $6.8 million with our previously retained portion) for a 31 year old right winger who will most likely play behind Marner and Nylander (if not this year, then going forward) likely won't work with our cap situation.

We also wouldn't give up more to get him back than we got to send him there. It would be Kap and a 1st maximum. That's arguably still more since Kapanen hadn't played a single NHL game when we got him.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
2 things:

This is basically what pittsburgh gave up 3 1/2 years ago.

And wouldn't the leafs assume that full 8 million?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If you didn't want salary retention, I'd think hard about that offer. But as long as we believe we're a competitor, then we're not retaining salary for multiple years without getting some serious assets back.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Yeah this deal would never ever happen BUT here is what I wonder, if the leafs traded for him and then traded him again could they unload his entire cap hit and not still retain the 1.2?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Kapanen has developed way too well to deal him at this point.

He is that 2.5ish million dollar bridge guy we need for depth up front. Kills penalties, scores goals, forechecks. Ideal winger for Toronto.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Yeah this deal would never ever happen BUT here is what I wonder, if the leafs traded for him and then traded him again could they unload his entire cap hit and not still retain the 1.2?

I can't find a definitive answer but I don't think so. I believe retained salary becomes a completely separate entity that is not tradeable in any way.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
We got rid of Kessel by retaining 1.2m of his salary; and now you're suggesting we trade the piece we got for getting rid of him back and in addition, Bracco, Borgman and picks?

In essence, we will have loaned him to Pitt by paying his salary and now that he's older, we take him back?

Are you on drugs?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
HF: Leafs have a cap crunch coming up!
Also HF: HEY LEAFS TAKE THIS EXPENSIVE STAR PLAYER.

Can't work. Won't work even without a cap as the Leafs have moved on.

Leafs will go absolutely all in on expiring contacts but nothing that extends beyond this year.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Kapanen has developed way too well to deal him at this point.

He is that 2.5ish million dollar bridge guy we need for depth up front. Kills penalties, scores goals, forechecks. Ideal winger for Toronto.

I don't know why it's so hard to fact-check before you type....in 26 games, you know how much time short handed time Phil has ?

Take a guess and check .... you're going to want to revise your made-up statement about his skill set including "kills Penalties".

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Kappy is a more well rounded hockey player on a ELC. He's more valuable to us then Kessel is No deal.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I don't know why it's so hard to fact-check before you type....in 26 games, you know how much time short handed time Phil has ?

Take a guess and check .... you're going to want to revise your made-up statement about his skill set including "kills Penalties".
Fact check, huh?

Reactions: BillPrep

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Shanahan, fully aware we were getting the short end of the stick, traded Kessel to the first team willing to have him.

His offense was great before, it's not any better now, so we gain nothing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why does Pittsburgh do this? They're not rebuilding or looking for futures...

Shanahan, fully aware we were getting the short end of the stick, traded Kessel to the first team willing to have him.

His offense was great before, it's not any better now, so we gain nothing.

I think you mean the "only team". He had an 8 team trade list and indicated that he wasn't willing to amend it. No one else on that list had the cap space for him (or if they did, they needed it within 12 months to re-sign their own guys).

Which meant Toronto had 2 options. Either trade Kessel to Pittsburgh at a price they were willing to pay, or to hold onto him and hope things change down the road. Do you think you get Marner or Matthews if you had Kessel giving you an extra few wins every season?

Reactions: BillPrep

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
To be honest wouldn't trade Kappy straight up for Kessel when you factor age, cap hit and versatility (Kessel isnt hoping on a PK anytime soon)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

I was obviously talking about Kapanen...read my post again. Jesus Christ.

has developed way too well to deal him at this point.

12.05.2018-14.08.png

The next time you feel like being an asshole to someone, you might want to re-read the post you are quoting.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Bad for Pits
It's easily gonna cost more than that considering the Pacs trade (market value).
Top prospect + 1rst/2nd + roster player equal to tatars value.
So that offer is clearly missing a top prospect. A lot of meh pieces dont equal a top prospect.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

He's obviously talking about Kapanen.

Reactions: BM14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad