Proposal: Leafs-Oilers

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Nurse has a good 20 games and now he’s worth more than 40 point dman Gardiner. Good one.

He has his boneheaded moments but nurse can’t hold gradiner’s jock strap in puck moving ability and offensive support.

Nurse might be a larsson 2.0, physical and strong but garbage offensively and in today’s NHL you need offence from your dmen.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nurse has a good 20 games and now he’s worth more than 40 point dman Gardiner. Good one.

He has his boneheaded moments but nurse can’t hold gradiner’s jock strap in puck moving ability and offensive support.

Nurse might be a larsson 2.0, physical and strong but garbage offensively and in today’s NHL you need offence from your dmen.

Really . Look back at Nurse draft year . He has improved every single year . I been saying it for 3 years ( you can look at my post ) that you don't trade Nurse until you know what you have . His defence has improved and his offence is coming along . So you 20 games post shows you know nothing about Nurse

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Really . Look back at Nurse draft year . He has improved every single year . I been saying it for 3 years ( you can look at my post ) that you don't trade Nurse until you know what you have . His defence has improved and his offence is coming along . So you 20 games post shows you know nothing about Nurse

Oiler fans want to dismiss Riellys breakout year but then pump up Nurse.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Nurse does not have top pairing upside, and his “beasting” Is more him playing well while the rest of the D (and most of the forwards to) stroke out all over the ice, making him look better than he is. Just like how you can make yourself appear slimmer by standing next to fat people, he looks good because he’s average but playing with crappy players. On a good team he’s not going to stand out, or possibly even leave bottom pair duty.

On the other side you have Jake Gardiner who is an immensely overrated Offensive defenseman, a guy who is a middle-pair D capable of giving you 30-40Pts a year in a sheltered role with lots of PP time. Oil fans should of noticed him, he got 2 quiet assists against you while being the main reason you were able to get back into the game with his poor coverage around our net and getting stripped of the puck every time he had it.

Then there is Kapanen, former 1st rounder who can easily put up points in the AHL but struggles to when he gets called up. Regardless of what he’s actually done thus far, he has a ton of tools, blazing speed, can dangle and play both ends of the ice... he looks like a homerun top six player. But then he plays on a call up like Zach Hyman on the 4th line for a game or two before getting sent back down. Add several of those up and you get his NHL totals.

I think it favours Edmonton but that they would be stupid to do it, nor do I think they would. Next to Larsson Gardiner could be of some use, and would be their biggest producer from the back end, would be a fixture of PP1, and on the occasion he’s playing well he is capable of actually taking over a game.

Kapanen once given an actual shot, which Edmonton could provide, could be a big steal - think Cogliano with more offense. Or he could be a good two-way 4th liner who inevitably doesn’t produce enough to make him worth the roster spot, in which case he becomes your farm teams best player, or one of them.

Nurse provides no offense, average defense and a mean streak. We don’t need offense, average defense is an improvement on Gardiner and a mean streak would also be a plus because he’d be taking Polak’s spot on the 3rd pair, at least to start. The plus is Toronto, with their coaching, might be able to help Nurse reach his potential, which won’t happen in Edmonton.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wasn’t that Nurse that got absolutely undressed by 38 year old marleau to help set up russell’s game winner last night? :laugh:

Really? You want to throw shade?

Have a look at Jake 'Dude Where's the Puck' Gardiner slowly revolving like a top, covering absolutely no one, while noted offensive wizards Jujhar Khaira and Zack Kassian make mincemeat of him on Edmonton's second goal.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Really? You want to throw shade?

Have a look at Jake 'Dude Where's the Puck' Gardiner slowly revolving like a top, covering absolutely no one, while noted offensive wizards Jujhar Khaira and Zack Kassian make mincemeat of him on Edmonton's second goal.

Listen I’m not saying Gardiner is the second coming of Bobby Orr. He also had 2 assists last night like Nurse. Like I said he makes some mistakes but he provides offence to offset some of those mistakes. He’s consistently put up 30+ points a season and cracked over 40 points last season. Skates like the wind and moves the puck. I value that a lot in today’s NHL.

They’re different type of dmen. Nurse is like a Larsson. I think you need a mix of offensive and defensive dmen when you don’t have a true #1.

If you don’t think Gardiner would flourish with a stay at home dman like Larsson I am suprised. Oilers still haven’t found consistent offensive production from the back end with klefbom’s regression.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Wasn’t that Nurse that got absolutely undressed by 38 year old marleau to help set up russell’s game winner last night? :laugh:

Young guys that are still learning tend to make the odd mistake. Gardiner has been in the league what 7 years now and still gets walked on the regular?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Kapanen is such a nothing prospect. Leaf fans acting like he is fresh off a career year the way they value him.

He's a good prospect. He's one of the top players in the AHL.

He's made an impact at the NHL level already.

The Leafs have a lot of depth, though, and a philosophy of leaving players in the AHL to develop.

He's not a superstar but he's going to be a competent player for a good number of years.

And he's building quite a reputation as a clutch performer, which will only add to his value.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Listen I’m not saying Gardiner is the second coming of Bobby Orr. He also had 2 assists last night like Nurse. Like I said he makes some mistakes but he provides offence to offset some of those mistakes. He’s consistently put up 30+ points a season and cracked over 40 points last season. Skates like the wind and moves the puck. I value that a lot in today’s NHL.

They’re different type of dmen. Nurse is like a Larsson. I think you need a mix of offensive and defensive dmen when you don’t have a true #1.

If you don’t think Gardiner would flourish with a stay at home dman like Larsson I am suprised. Oilers still haven’t found consistent offensive production from the back end with klefbom’s regression.

The big advantage that Nurse has over Larsson is his skating ability. I'll never forget the Oilers skills comp a couple years ago when Nurse skating backwards damn near beat Sekera going forwards. He's always had all the tools you could ever want in a defenceman and now his brain is catching up. Sure, Gardiner would be a nice addition, but I wouldn't do Nurse for him and I wouldn't do OP either. They say you don't really know what you have in a defenceman before they play 300 games - well Nurse looks dynamite and he's not even halfway there.

Pace can be overrated but he's on pace to shatter every career high he's got (with zero powerplay time) and as stupid as plus minus can be he's +8, playing against top competition on a team that is really struggling.

Klefbom hasn't regressed so much as been playing injured. I'd be shocked if he's over 75% right now, and he was dynamite on the PP last season which got him a ton of points, but as you witnessed last night I think Jay Woodcroft is doing meth on the bench. God our special teams suck.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Neither does the two leafs
Oh really? You mean the Gardiner who led the Leafs in icetime in the playoffs last year vs Washington and the Leafs top prospect can't get a bottom pairing dman who has played well in over his head for 28 games? If you think Lamiorello would actually make that kind of trade you must think he's as bad as Chiarelli. Lamiorelli is pleased with his defense as he said in an interview, you offer him Nurse for Gardiner and he will laugh you off. Let alone Nurse for Gardiner and Kapanen.

I of course think its probably a lateral move. Both of them are dumb as bricks but at least I know Gardiner can go beast mode in the playoffs. Adding Kapanen is an easy no.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Gotta love how Oilers fans think all their dime a dozen defensemen are all top 4 D... Nurse makes more mistakes than Gardiner defensively, and has no offensive upside. He isn't even close to being worth this package.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
Playoff Jake is totally different than regular season Jake.

It’s like his brain wakes up on April 1st.

Other wise, he’s like a mix between Taller Cranston and a dumb Gorilla.

I’m still not trading him for Darnell Nurse...probably have better luck with his sister.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No thanks. Does not make this team better now, and I do not think it makes the team significantly better in the future either. I'd rather try to switch up Gardiner-Zaitsev to see if that sparks something than to try someone else.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
There must be something wrong with my monitor, who else do the Leafs add in the deal ?

It surely can't be just Kapanen and Gardiner. Unless it's a typo ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad