Sportsnet: Leafs' Nonis: I operate differently than Burke

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/09/leafs_nonis_pts_different_views_burke/

Dave Nonis isn't exactly the second coming of Brian Burke.

While Nonis has been tied to Burke for most of his career in the NHL, the new Toronto Maple Leafs general manager explained some of their differences in leadership style when he joined Prime Time Sports on Wednesday.

"In terms of Brian (Burke) and myself, we think a lot alike about how the game should be played," Nonis told Bob McCown and Damien Cox on Sportsnet 590 the Fan. "How we get there, we're not the same. We had countless arguments and it becomes almost unpleasant. We want the same thing but we don't have the same path getting there. It's not a situation where we're identical and nothing will change. The way I operate is different."

Nonis says he shared some differing views with Burke about certain players and while he may not be hesitant to pull the trigger to better the Maple Leafs roster, the team isn't in the position to give up long-term assets for just a short-term gain.

"We're going to look to make some moves," Nonis said. "It's no different than any other year. We have an excess of forwards and some young players we could look to move. And there are things Brian wouldn't do that I would do. It has always been the case. Not a new scenario."

"I don't think trading long-term assets for one or two years is good for any team. Especially for a team trying to rebuild; maybe for a team trying to get over the hump. Don't think that's prudent for us to do."

Despite the team's unimpressive record the last four years, Nonis was pleased with what he and Burke were able to accomplish in their work together with the Maple Leafs. Nonis believes the organization is on the right track but needs to continue to add pieces to the core of the club.

"Collectively we've done a good job of putting pieces back in the organization. Some are ready but some are years away from playing… We've added young pieces that will help us long term -- Morgan Rielly, Carter Ashton, Jake Gardiner and getting Joffrey Lupul here. We need some patience on our part to bring them along and need to continue to find ways to add."

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
he argued about the kessel trade for sure ....and wasting money on conolly ...and i think nonis wouldve fired ron wilson sooner
and i think dallas eakins would be the guy .....now we got randy carlyle trying to reinvent the wheel here ......his system nevrr did match the players here ,exept in burkes eyes ,and kook where it got burke ,out of hockey likly for good

Burke will be offered a job by the end of this season or the next.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It would be interesting to hear the behind the scenes discussions that went on prior to the Kessel trade. I wonder what Nonis' stance on it was, and how strong a stance that was.

If he was against it from the beginning, then he may not hesitate at all to hit the "reset button" on that move. Not that we have even a remote hope of getting a similar package as what we gave up.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Burke will be offered a job by the end of this season or the next.

There are some suggestions Dallas is targeting Burke.

Which would be a bit strange, because of Joe Nieuwendyk. And, also stranger gives his liberal political views that wouldn't necessarily be viewed with immediate embrace here.

But it would be great to see Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban have a personality competitor here in town.:nod:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope Nieuwendyk comes back to us if he is let go in Dallas.

Anyway, I like what Nonis has been saying in interviews. The one thing that hurts a bit, and it's not a knock against him, is that we may not see any blockbuster trades for a loooong time. As much as Burke didn't bring us a great team, one thing we could expect is a big trade.

Hopefully Nonis values the draft a bit more and we get to see picks get back as we get closer to the draft.

If we are not contending for a playoff spot by the trading deadline, I really hope a mini fire sale is done. Reload for the off-season.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
From everything i knew about Burke before he came here, he assembled a damn soft team. He talked about truculence and testosterone yet his first major move was acquiring Kessel, probably one of the softest forwards in the game.

Liles, Bozak, Connolly. Are you freakin kidding me

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
It would be interesting to hear the behind the scenes discussions that went on prior to the Kessel trade. I wonder what Nonis' stance on it was, and how strong a stance that was.

If he was against it from the beginning, then he may not hesitate at all to hit the "reset button" on that move. Not that we have even a remote hope of getting a similar package as what we gave up.

Agree. But the real story is unlikely to ever come out. I recall Burke saying on numerous occasions that his whole management team was green-lighting the Kessel trade before it was made, even if the draft pick was as high as it turned out....

leafspring*

Who/what team even knows if they need a Kessel yet this early is my thinking on that. We would get a excellent return,but is Kessel insulated enough to succeed here. No he isn't. Lupul with out Kessel could be less effective,and Kessel without Lupul is already less effective.

Kessel can be traded sure,but i wouldn't do it. There isn't even any rumours yet really.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not that we have even a remote hope of getting a similar package as what we gave up.

Pretty sure just about any team, who isn't in the early starges of rebuilding, will give up two undetermined first rounders for a 24 year old who finished 6th in scoring on a **** team last season.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
he argued about the kessel trade for sure ....and wasting money on conolly ...and i think nonis wouldve fired ron wilson sooner
and i think dallas eakins would be the guy .....now we got randy carlyle trying to reinvent the wheel here ......his system nevrr did match the players here ,exept in burkes eyes ,and kook where it got burke ,out of hockey likly for good

Cant say Carlyle's system doesn't work. Some players are thriving and others are faltering. Kadri, Frattin, Kulemin, JVR all seem to be reviving themselves in his style of hockey, while Kessel, Grabovski, Macarthur, Bozak seem to be floundering. IMO if Kessel, Grabovski, Macarthur, Bozak can somehow be turned into a legitimate 1 center, this team will be much better off to play top 6 bottom 6. Most people dont believe Grabovski is a top 6 center on a contender, well i believe Kadri is and will be. I was watching some footage of Pete Deboer on Kadri. to summarize "kid is hungry, will go to the dirty areas, will be a game changer in the NHL. and last but not least, is an absolute beast in the playoffs."

JVR Weiss/Getzlaf/O'rielly/Stasny Lupul
Kulemin Kadri Frattin
Komarov McClement Ashton
Orr Steckel Mcclaren

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Agree. But the real story is unlikely to ever come out. I recall Burke saying on numerous occasions that his whole management team was green-lighting the Kessel trade before it was made, even if the draft pick was as high as it turned out....

I agree. If there was dissent and disagreement, I don't expect it to become public. They're professionals.

But going by Nonis' history, and what he's said in interviews. I don't get the impression that he's the type to think bold aggressive moves like that are good moves during a rebuild.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010

TML g u n n e R s*

Malkin to Toronto.. cmon nonis operate different

kessel
kulie
1st
rielly
finn

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
That is a real hard swallow he does after talking about Phil and Dion and saying no one is untouchable. The other thing I take from this is they are going to play the kids and see what they can do don't have to make the playoffs in the next couple of years just need to show improvement.

He had a number of interesting things to say and I believe he will play the young guys.

It seems that he will be open to trade anyone on the team, if the trade helps us.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
So basically, McCowen and Cox (i wont even get into it) had an interview with someone other than Brian Burke, and they established,

while Dave Nonis is in fact NOT Brian Burke, he even operates DIFFERENTLY than Brian Burke, even though, get this, he isn't the same person?

I read this article recently, and it said, get this,

People who are not the same person tend to, get this, be DIFFERENT

Crazy right?

Keeping it Blue

Dec 13, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yeah whatever,I''ll consider where its coming from

He just posts articles. Everything else you just made up. Does it surprise you that most are negative? It shouldn't, this is the Toronto media.

I will give you that it's odd that he never comments. Maybe he's just a bot.

Anyway, I know it's difficult to understand life outside of Toronto, but for those of us who dobt live there his links are awesome for keep up to date with the media.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Brian Burke and Ron Wilson to Washington, I would love it to see that mess.

Also, Nonis just sounds logical, of course actions speak louder than words but in his interviews, there hasn't been anything yet where I would just shake my head like man this guy is on an ego trip right now like I would usually see for Burke's interviews.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think Nonis is simply a caretaker. He's the GM because the board didn't have time to look for anyone else once they decided to axe Burke.

It makes no sense that they're going to now hand the reins longterm to a guy who was front and centre -- along with Burke -- in putting a team on the ice they weren't happy with...not to mention all the hockey staff, scouts, etc who also produced said team.

I think they'll hire a new President sometime in the next few months, and that person will probably want their own staff in place.

You never know, because this is the Leafs after all, but that's how I see it going down at the moment.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
Brian Burke and Ron Wilson to Washington, I would love it to see that mess.

Also, Nonis just sounds logical, of course actions speak louder than words but in his interviews, there hasn't been anything yet where I would just shake my head like man this guy is on an ego trip right now like I would usually see for Burke's interviews.

Maybe thats when he (Burke) would trade Ovi and a 1st to TO for Kessel
and Bozie. lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I saw the interview on Sportsnet yesterday by Chris Simpson on Nonis and he does come across far more patient and willing to let the youth play and develop.

No quick fix attempts in the future and not willing to sacrifice youth to move the team ahead quickly as in the past.

His early moves of parachuting out Lombardi and Connolly to make room for Kadri and Frattin has paid big dividends early on in his new philosophy of building from within.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: