Leafs need more truculence!!!

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
What i have increasingly noticed about this team is the lack of ability to create a cycle in the offensive zone, and lack of ability to stop one in the defensive zone. The only line we have that isn't a one and done rush line is the tavares line. We need a player like Tampa's Yanni Gourde who is skilled, skates well, plays smart, but also plays heavy in both ends.

On defense i think we should target Jake Muzzin. Tough to play against in the defensive zone, throws the body, good skater, good positioning but he can also make an outlet pass.

Say what you want about it being a new era, i agree you dont need to be 6'2 to make it in the league anymore but grit will always have a place in the game and that's why the leafs fold against teams like Boston.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Wilson over Rielly (2012)
Ritchie over Nylander (2014)
Crouse over Marner (2015)

YaY tRuCuLeNcE !!

I would gladly take Ritchie over Nylander. Wilson is also a rare talent, who teams who give a boatload for. These aren’t the best examples to use.

It’s open season on Leafs stars. They need to get a physical forward and 2 physical dmen, one of which can be a #7 guy.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If our boys played with that same intensity against the Bruins as they did tonight I can almost guarantee we would best them in a 7 gamer... problem is we are so inconsistent with that type of effort.

You don't have to big big and slow to play with intensity, you just gotta give a damn about every stinkin play/battle. They did tonight, and look at the result.

Reactions: Cobra777

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Wilson over Rielly (2012)
Ritchie over Nylander (2014)
Crouse over Marner (2015)

YaY tRuCuLeNcE !!

Ya Leafs would have been in much worse shape if we picked any of those guys over Rielly, Nylander, Marner. Without question.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen, Reilly, Marner

All awesome players, but do ANY of them strike fear in the opposition from a physical standpoint?

Not one of these guys has anything to do with a physical game and will be pushed aside in the playoffs. All 6 of them.

The Leafs need to add a few more bigger, stronger tough guys to back up and protect our top players. They don't have to be awesome players, just decent players who get down and dirty and can push their weight around.

otherwise it's "see ya later" come April again.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I would gladly take Ritchie over Nylander. Wilson is also a rare talent, who teams who give a boatload for. These aren’t the best examples to use.

It’s open season on Leafs stars. They need to get a physical forward and 2 physical dmen, one of which can be a #7 guy.
Totally get Chia to trade for them.

Reactions: Liminality

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
What i have increasingly noticed about this team is the lack of ability to create a cycle in the offensive zone, and lack of ability to stop one in the defensive zone. The only line we have that isn't a one and done rush line is the tavares line. We need a player like Tampa's Yanni Gourde who is skilled, skates well, plays smart, but also plays heavy in both ends.

On defense i think we should target Jake Muzzin. Tough to play against in the defensive zone, throws the body, good skater, good positioning but he can also make an outlet pass.

Say what you want about it being a new era, i agree you dont need to be 6'2 to make it in the league anymore but grit will always have a place in the game and that's why the leafs fold against teams like Boston.

YOUR MOM IS TRUCULENCE!

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
From the little I’ve watched Tampa they don’t look like a team that will do much in the playoffs so they might be a good match up for the Leafs. They could both skate around never worrying about getting hit. It’d be boring to watch but it would be fairly safe for everyone but the goalies.

Reactions: rumman

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
the best team in the league is Tampa, who are smaller and more skilled than the Leafs. why not emulate them instead of a bunch of teams that are worse than the Leafs?

Tampa may be smaller but they also play a lot grittier than Toronto. Gourde, Killorn, Sergachev, Girardi, Cernak, Paquette, Hedman, Callahan, Erne are all miles tougher than anyone on the Leafs. So yeah I guess i agree with you we should try to emulate them:sarcasm:

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Everyone seems to hear the words truculence, grit, toughness and just completely lose their minds. I'm not saying we should go back to the m Burke days. But we'd benefit from adding a forward who can put up 35-60 points who is tough to play against and a Jake Muzzin type Dman to pair with Reilly and move Hainsey back to Gards' pairing. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want that on their team..

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Isn't even a topic if Wilson didn't play on the Caps last year.

Was everyone calling for more toughness after Penguins won 2 in a row ?

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Phone Oilers' beleaguered GM Peter Chiarelli who will assume most of Milan Lucic's remaining salary in a trade for a Leafs' 5th rounder.

Reactions: Beaumaris

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad