McKenzie: Leafs, Muzzin talking extension

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I wonder if this means the Leafs are absolutely not eyeing a Barrie exension.
I dont think Barrie was ever going to be extended here. He was always going to cost too much. Let him be some other GM's mistake. He's going to get 7x7, maybe more, depending on desperation this summer.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
A player of his ilk at his age is probably looking at their last big payday. I doubt he signs a 4/5 year contract. He’d probably take slightly less money but more years. Someone out there will offer him 7 yrs.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
A player of his ilk at his age is probably looking at their last big payday. I doubt he signs a 4/5 year contract. He’d probably take slightly less money but more years. Someone out there will offer him 7 yrs.

I honestly do not see 7 years coming from anybody.

I could see 4 years from us, but not sure on the annual.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if this means the Leafs are absolutely not eyeing a Barrie exension.

I don’t know why they would. He’s been awful and looking for a lot of money

Muzzin is exactly what we’d need to find to replace him if he leaves. He has been very good here

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
But you do keep him for now, you need to fill out a defense next season

Use the cap space on a big fish like Pietrangelo, or go bargain hunting for veterans content to sign a 1 year deal

History has shown us that the worst team contracts are the long term deals in the 5 - 6 million range given out to 30 year olds

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bobby Mack said on insider trading, the Leafs are in the early stages of contract talks.

I am interested to see if this gets done, and if itt does what he signs because they do have spots to fill for next season.

Did McKenzie indicate any potential dollar amount or term?

My guess would be in the $5.5-$6 million per year for 3-4 year range.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Its Dubas, that's the minimum.

Like the Johnsson, Kappy, Holl deals? all much smaller.

I have no doubt somebody will offer him bigger money, but he won't get it here. Dubas signed our bigger ticket players a tad high, but he has not been doing that with secondary players.

The Leafs will not be paying Jake Muzzin almost 6 million a year until he is 35 lol

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
None of those guys had any leverage at all.

A pending UFA has leverage.

I get that, and I am not saying he won't or can't use his leverage. I just don't see Dubas signing secondary players long term and high annual.

I don't even think RFA and UFA matter anymore when it comes to $$$ but yes the leverage is different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad