Friedman: Leafs may offer Marner 2 years at 8 mil and wait until cap goes up

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I don't think Mitch takes this deal but what if he did on the promise that the leafs will make him the highest paid player on the team with an 8 year extension next July 1st when the leafs would be able to negotiate a new contract. As the RFA money continues to rise maybe by next year he can get a 12.5 x 8 extension. It ends up being 116 million over the next 10 years

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't think Mitch takes this deal but what if he did on the promise that the leafs will make him the highest paid player on the team with an 8 year extension next July 1st when the leafs would be able to negotiate a new contract. As the RFA money continues to rise maybe by next year he can get a 12.5 x 8 extension. It ends up being 116 million over the next 10 years

Would the Leafs still offer him that contract if he gets seriously injured next year?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Would the Leafs still offer him that contract if he gets seriously injured next year?
Career ending probably not but any other injury sure. We've seen players like Stone and Trouba sign 1 year deals so I'm not sure if they asked their teams if they would promise an extension if they got a bad injury

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Career ending probably not but any other injury sure. We've seen players like Stone and Trouba sign 1 year deals so I'm not sure if they asked their teams if they would promise an extension if they got a bad injury
Weren't Stone and Trouba's 1 year deals both "get me out of here" arbitration deals?

Reactions: Seanaconda

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
yes hes def gonna take their word on it and sign this deal based on a future promise. totally

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Brian Burke saying no way would Marner's agent go for this due to the chance of injury.

On Nylander "should have kicked his ass until his nose bled"

:laugh:

Said because Dubas gave in on Nylander, Matthews agent was licking his chops. And Now marner's turn who led the team in points the last 2 years.

Reactions: PWJunior

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
The Leafs should also start firing pucks into their own net to keep Andersen's next contract down. I can't believe you are actually proposing tanking your lineup for two years to lower a contract value.

ok...so...you'd move one of the top offensive centers in the league to the wing o_O ...I am just stopping there...not worth it

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Brian Burke saying no way would Marner's agent go for this due to the chance of injury.

On Nylander "should have kicked his ass until his nose bled"

:laugh:

Said because Dubas gave in on Nylander, Matthews agent was licking his chops. And Now marner's turn who led the team in points the last 2 years.
brian burke is an idiot. thats why he doesnt have a job... nylander contract is good.matthews maybe not but nylanders is good

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Pastrnak signed his deal coming off a 70 point season. Before that, he scored 26 points in 51 games.

Gaudreau signed his deal coming off a 78 point season. Before that, he scored 64 points.

Marner is coming off a 93 point season, which is 23 points more than Pastrnak and 15 points more than Gaudreau. His previous season was 69 points, better than both of those guys' previous seasons.

Both of those deals also came when the league cap was lower than it is going into this next season.

Based on what they'd done at the time they signed, why are they better comparables than Matthews?

Your right, Marner is better than Pasta and Gaudreau and deserves a couple million more than them, therefore 9.5 is more than fair.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
how does pro-rating salary work if Marner/Ferris pull a Nylander and sit-out till December or any parts of the season? How much buffer do the Leafs need in space in order to fit him if he signs between Oct-Dec 1?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm 90% confident Marner will not be a Maple leaf at the end of this summer.
I don't know how you can reach 90%, but on Monday, he is a free agent with some restrictions. Any team can sign him to an offer sheet and if it is high enough the Leafs cannot or will not match. I guess a trade being worked out is also a possibility.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I don't know how you can reach 90%, but on Monday, he is a free agent with some restrictions. Any team can sign him to an offer sheet and if it is high enough the Leafs cannot or will not match. I guess a trade being worked out is also a possibility.
I feel like unless the trade for Marner is really that good, I'd much rather take the four 1sts. Worst case scenario, you can trade two of the four 1sts for a top talent defenseman.
Maybe a player like Werenski packaged with a 1st round pick could be something, but I don't see that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad