Friedman: Leafs may offer Marner 2 years at 8 mil and wait until cap goes up

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Jeff Skinner, the 27 year old. That's whom you're comparing Marner to? Some people cannot grasp how RFAs and UFAs work. Skinner was negotiating from a position of strength. Marner doesnt have that option. It's either sit out, sign with the Leafs or sign an offer sheet.

Yes I can grasp how RFA vs UFA works. My comment was really more of a critique on how much Skinner got, but that aside, you think Marner gets less than $9M (what Skinner got)? Even as an RFA?

Really?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yes I can grasp how RFA vs UFA works. My comment was really more of a critique on how much Skinner got, but that aside, you think Marner gets less than $9M (what Skinner got)? Even as an RFA?

Really?
My mistake on taking your post out of context. I just dont think they're comparable given their situations and age. Marner already turned down $9 million or so last summer and it's pretty evident that he'll be asking for a lot more now. Whether hes worth that is another question. RFA's have balls now, I'll say that much. They never had this much power 10 years ago.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Sign him first day of the season, 1yr @ 10.5 mil and use Horton LTIR.

Then next season the Leafs will have the room to sign a longer term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad