The Sun: Leafs' Matt Frattin will be better second time around

CBGB

Aug 11, 2005
Matt Frattin was so God awful in L.A. we were all wondering if Lombardi should have his head examined. The guy is fast, I'll give you that but had ZERO playmaking ability.

What I do absolutely LOVE about Matt Frattin?

He was traded for Gaborik which was the missing piece in the Kings 2nd Stanley Cup.

So thank you Toronto and thank you Frattin.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
Matt Frattin was so God awful in L.A. we were all wondering if Lombardi should have his head examined. The guy is fast, I'll give you that but had ZERO playmaking ability.

He was traded for Gaborik which was the missing piece in the Kings 2nd Stanley Cup.

He isn't a playmaker. He is solid on his skates, hits hard and when set up can rip the puck.

Hopefully he figures it out again.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't think Frattin has looked that bad (though I didn't see him in the split-Ottawa game). He certainly hasn't stood out... but I still think he's a good player. I think he's better than Booth, Kontiola, Bodie, Ashton, etc. Even though it's close, I would rather Frattin in our lineup over Kozun and Leivo. Santa, Komorov and Winnik I think are locks over Frattin at this point. I see Frattin, Holland, Leivo, Kozun and Nylander as guys on the bubble... but I would take a 4th line with Frattin and Holland over Leivo and Kozun. I would like Nylander to stay... but that's kind of a separate decision all together.

I just feel like he hasn't gotten much ice time... and the ice time he has got, he wasn't paired with Kadri or our other skilled guys for very long. He was with Bozak and JVR the other night, but he barely got any ice time and those two guys weren't playing well anyways (as was evident by their lack of ability to do anything on the PP).

So I'm not giving up on Frattin yet... I still see a good player in him. He's been very responsible getting back to defend and he's making a lot of quick chip passes that I feel will be effective.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Frattin is a weird player.

He's fast and has a pretty good shot. But he's pretty terrible at everything else, he may be the worst playmaker on the team.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

Thanks for Bernier.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This clip always pops in my head when I think of Frattin. He nearly screws up coming out of his own zone, Kadri kind of bails him out and the two exchange the puck on the way to a weird off balanced goal by Frattin. The thing that amazes me is komarov actually kicks the puck over to Frattin in the crease. This and the last second goal against Buffalo sort of teased us on what he could do. He had a good college career, but has had trouble with consistency. I think a guy like Leivo will become the player we thought Frattin was going to be.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Matt Frattin is a useful asset and like currency in the NHL.

Leafs traded Frattin to acquire Bernier and LA traded Frattin to acquire Gaborik and Columbus acquired D'Amigo.

Everyone one seems happy. :)

So what we are going to get this time around :laugh:

Last edited:

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Matt Frattin is a useful asset and like currency in the NHL.

Leafs traded Frattin to acquire Bernier and LA traded Frattin to acquire Gaborik and Columbus acquired D'Amigo.

Everyone one seems happy. :)

Everyone except Frattin because he is playing his way out the league.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Who did Frattin play with successfully last time he was here?

Who has he yet to have a single shift with in a preseason game?

Kadri? Really, he hasn't had a shift with Kadri yet!

I thought RC keeps saying this camp is all about 'evaluation'.

DoubleDouble*

I am not ready to give up on the kid. He had that incident in college, made up for it, and persevered.

People are so fast to toss him away but the guy has shown nothing but character since his problems and has overcome a lot. Maybe he won't be on the starting squad, but I still think he will be an NHL player.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Pretty sure Frattin has lost his spot to Leivo at this point. Either he's the 13th forward or he's getting traded/waived.

Leafspoison*

So what we are going to get this time around :laugh:

Its funny when you take Frattin out of the equation. We send D'Amigo to Columbus, Columbus sends Gaborik to L.A and L.A sends us Bernier on a 3 way deal. :laugh:

Frattin not exactly the "Key" piece in all the trades. :yo:

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Frattin was solid in our playoff run......Give him more ice time, Randy.

This is a common theme around here nowadays; a player stinks up the joint -> It's because of the coach putting him with "bad" linemates and little icetime.

If you are someone that has dreams of top 6 icetime but you can't string together 4, 6 or 8 mins of decent ice-time, why should you be given the opportunity to play 12,15 or 20mins?

It's funny that nobody argues that Colton Orr or Frazer McLaren are "so bad" because they just don't get more icetime or proper line mates. This makes sense, because...they just aren't very good. Why can't it be valid to say that guys like Ashton/Frattin just aren't/weren't very good?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is a common theme around here nowadays; a player stinks up the joint -> It's because of the coach putting him with "bad" linemates and little icetime.

If you are someone that has dreams of top 6 icetime but you can't string together 4, 6 or 8 mins of decent ice-time, why should you be given the opportunity to play 12,15 or 20mins?

It's funny that nobody argues that Colton Orr or Frazer McLaren are "so bad" because they just don't get more icetime or proper line mates. This makes sense, because...they just aren't very good. Why can't it be valid to say that guys like Ashton/Frattin just aren't/weren't very good?

Exactly ice time is earned not given, on the other hand skilled players should play on the top lines and not some passengers like Frattin

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto

Frattin has demonstrated that he isn't cut out for this role because he was indeed given that opportunity and on three different teams no less.

Ashton, on the other hand, has never been given either the kind of ice time Frattin has seen nor the calibre of linemates. It's worthless to compare his situation to Orr or MacLaren -- they never put up his kind of numbers in the AHL or junior. Ashton has demonstrated potential that these guys never had.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Frattin has demonstrated that he isn't cut out for this role because he was indeed given that opportunity and on three different teams no less.

Ashton, on the other hand, has never been given either the kind of ice time Frattin has seen nor the calibre of linemates. It's worthless to compare his situation to Orr or MacLaren -- they never put up his kind of numbers in the AHL or junior. Ashton has demonstrated potential that these guys never had.

You're missing the point.

Why do you have to have 15+ mins to play well? If you can't manage to string together 6mins of hockey that please your coach, why would your coach think you should move up the lineup?

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012

Why do you have to have 15+ mins to play well? If you can't manage to string together 6mins of hockey that please your coach, why would your coach think you should move up the lineup?

Let's see what Phil does with 6 minutes of ice time per game. I'm thinking not a whole lot.

Sometimes you need more minutes and opportunities. It's silly to argue that if you get 6 minutes of ice time, you should only be moved up to more if the coach likes your play. What are you basing it on? It fully depends on your role on the team. First lines play a lot of minutes and score a lot of points. You don't see them playing 6 minutes for the reason of they won't produce. If you were basing pleasing the coach on scoring, Frattin isn't going to score much with that ice time. When you don't get a lot of time on the ice, opportunities dont present themselves very often. Unless your have insane talent would players be able to score off 6 minutes of ice time. That's roughly 6-7 shifts a game.......

Last edited:

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto

I'm not missing anything. You play a guy with utter plugs for 6-8 minutes and, in all likelihood, he will show you very little and probably be sunk by the trash he's playing with. That's not basis upon which to judge his NHL potential.

Give a guy 15-20 games with reasonably decent NHLers and see what he gives. Until then, you've got very little basis to make any determination about his ability to live up to his junior and minor potential.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
just another marlie that got over-rated in the shortened season because they came out hot, move him for any pick at this point

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm not missing anything. You play a guy with utter plugs for 6-8 minutes and, in all likelihood, he will show you very little and probably be sunk by the trash he's playing with. That's not basis upon which to judge his NHL potential.

Give a guy 15-20 games with reasonably decent NHLers and see what he gives. Until then, you've got very little basis to make any determination about his ability to live up to his junior and minor potential.

He is getting his chances for last 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad