The Sun: Leafs' Matt Frattin will be better second time around

Tyler Biggs*

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/03/leafs-matt-frattin-will-be-better-second-time-around

TORONTO - You can’t blame Matt Frattin for selective memory loss about his last spotlight moment as a Maple Leaf.

With Toronto up 4-2 in that fateful Game 7 in Boston some 14 months ago, that was Frattin forcing a turnover by the desperate Bruins at the Toronto line, then sweeping in for a breakaway on Tuukka Rask. He went to his backhand, but the puck slid off his stick wide. Less than four minutes remained and unbeknownst to him, the dagger hilt had just slid through Toronto’s hands.

Not that it was Frattin’s fault, but the whole Leaf bench froze in those dying minutes and the devastating overtime that followed. The Leafs were gone, and a few weeks later so was Frattin, as part of the Jonathan Bernier trade to Los Angeles.

Tyler Biggs*

D'Amigo meh...Frattin had more of a nose for the net.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I Like Frattin more then D'Amigo. D'amigo was a great marlies player but low ceiling in the NHL.

Frattin has shown some serious glimpses of what he can do in the NHL. I hope he has a great season, as i do for every Leaf this fall for the first time in awhile.

I think he'll score 20 goals this year, i hope management bringing him back means they want to give him his shot for good this year. His shot is insane and so is his straight ahead speed. Might not be the most agile. I think him and Kadril will have big years together

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think the main thing is going to be his knee. he was crap after that - but he knows he has a second second chance here, so he can parlay that into a great opportunity. I like Matty and i hope he can really do well.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The poor guy and the breakaway. Its not like breakaways are a sure thing. I'd rather blame Grabo and Kulemin who had multiple chances at an empty net but decided to dog it instead.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Meh. We'll see. Right now I look at him as a depth player that can give us a bit of scoring here and there, and while being in and out of the lineup.

Low expectations and we'll go from there.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
My expectations for Frattin are not that high. I expect him to be a good 3rd line player who can move up and down the line, while helping with secondary scoring.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't hold anything against him but that breakaway is burned in my mind. He had Rask down and out but the puck slid away. :cry:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Came here to say that I don't think starting him on the 2nd line would be best..but then I realised what is the harm? If he works out again GREAT! If not he will be good enough for the 4th line.

CalgaryLeaf*

I think Frattin will be bigger and stronger this time around...I see him as a speedy power forward on the 2nd or 3rd line...Hopefully he turns into a better finisher as his shot is outstanding.

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
A big reason grabo was bought out and kulemin gone now is how they played in that game 7. Atrocious and shameful the effort those 2 put in, Grabo esspecially.

Frattin could have solidified it, but a good scoring chance doesn't always mean a good finish. He has great upside and is well liked by his team mates.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
D'Amigo meh...Frattin had more of a nose for the net.

One of the team's best prospects for an older player that has not shown the ability to stick in the NHL with three different teams. You got the meh part right.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
One of the team's best prospects for an older player that has not shown the ability to stick in the NHL with three different teams. You got the meh part right.

Frattin was doing good with the Leafs before they traded him. That's why we got Bernier, because he showed potential. Frattin was behind a lot of depth on the LA squad and had a down year with his injury.

Let's not act like he was horrible on the Leafs. He was driving the play most of the time with his forecheck or north to south speed to the net. If he regains his old Toronto form I'll be happy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Let's hope so, because he was pretty terrible the first time around.

Well he was terrible last year struggling to get in the line-up on playoff teams in LA and Columbus. He dressed for only 44 games and registered 2-5-7 points total.

On a Leafs team in 2012-13 he was actually fairly productive 7-6-13 points in 25 games in a lockout season. [= 43 point pace over 82 games]

I'm sure if he could put up 40+ next year cancelling out Raymond's 45 points essentially lost to free agency then this might be considered a success.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well he was terrible last year struggling to get in the line-up on playoff teams in LA and Columbus. He dressed for only 44 games and registered 2-5-7 points total.

On a Leafs team in 2012-13 he was actually fairly productive 7-6-13 points in 25 games in a lockout season. [= 43 point pace over 82 games]

I'm sure if he could put up 40+ next year cancelling out Raymond's 45 points essentially lost to free agency then this might be considered a success.

I would definately consider that a success.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Frattin started on the 2nd line in LA next to Carter/Richards and was dropped because of poor play.

Getting tired of hearing people say he was "buried." He got a shot at the start of the season and it didn't work.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
Frattin was doing good with the Leafs before they traded him. That's why we got Bernier, because he showed potential. Frattin was behind a lot of depth on the LA squad and had a down year with his injury.

Let's not act like he was horrible on the Leafs. He was driving the play most of the time with his forecheck or north to south speed to the net. If he regains his old Toronto form I'll be happy.

I disagree, this was a bad gamble by Nonis. Frattin was not that good with Toronto and LA. This is one of those trades that should have been easily avoided, D'Amigo is already a much better overall player and younger. Nonis got caught up in what used to be at the cost of one of his best prospects. Stupid move.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Frattin needs to play as if his career depends on it...because it does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad