Leafs - Marlies disconnect

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't know if it's necessarily easier in the AHL or it's just very difficult with our particular group. When you have young guns, perhaps its tougher to convince them of the value of a blue collar work ethic when they feel like they can win by other means...

kind of sounds like why Boston did not move heaven and earth to keep Kessel?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
kind of sounds like why Boston did not move heaven and earth to keep Kessel?

Players change both for the better and worse. He was way to young and had way to much promise to make such a judgment when players like Yzerman before him were able to.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
why not were the 2nd tallest and 10th heaviest team in the NHL this year, were both taller and heavier then the Bruins and they do it just fine. we don't have a single player who plays regularly whose under 6'0

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/10/2013-14-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. That's why they use Pit Bulls in dog fights, not 150 pound Rottweilers. In that world, they call it gameness. The willingness to fight to the death no matter how injured or tired or behind in the score you are. The Leafs are not like pit bulls. They are the Poodles of the NHL. No gameness.

Last edited:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Is Spott always so...honest? I just saw his post game interview after the loss to Rochester and he was calling out so many guys in his interview and specifically called out the leadership on the ice in that game and the poor decisions they were making. I don't know if it's a testament to his abilities as a coach or if it's a combination of the kind of players the Marlies have but the very next game, those same guys came back with strong games and the team ended up winning. Wish the Leafs had guys that could respond like that.

Saw some of his commentary on the players and his assessment of Broll makes me excited (he's one of the guys that I'd love to see get a fair shot at the bottom 6 next year). We need to move away from the Orrs and McLarens on this team. I also like that he seems to be developing Leivo while keeping in mind the expectation is for him to turn into a top 6 player on the Leafs. I've read that Leivo is said to have the potential of a Lupul but Spott has been complimentary of his defensive game and if both areas can translate at the NHL level then it'll be a nice change of pace to have a 2 way style player in the top 6.

mikebel111*

Marlies assistant coach gord dineen mentioned that they use pretty much the system of the leafs but minor details are different
Maybe those are
Heavy fore check?
Wingers not as low in defensive zone?

mikebel111*

I have said this before
The forecheck of the marlies reminds me of the chicago blackhawks forecheck
Up tempo which forces turnovers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad