Leafs - Marlies disconnect

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They're everything the Leafs are not
They don't play similar styles at all
form the hotstove

- I keep talking about the forecheck and cycle of the Marlies, but for a reason – it’s that good. It’s such a contrast from the Leafs‘ game. The Marlies hem teams in for long periods of time and wear them down. Opponents can’t change, they spend all their energy defending, and punt it into the neutral zone when they finally get it back. The Marlies just dump it right back in, which is so difficult to defend.

- Another team point that’s worth noting: You can always hear the Marlies on both the bench and the ice yelling, more so than usual. It’s minuscule, but I think it helps the team. Communication is key to making the game easier, and this team is on the same page. It shows that Spott and the coaching staff have these players buying in.

- The Marlies d-zone coverage is really solid. A great example came in the second half of the first period in the Bulldogs game, when the Marlies got stuck in their own zone. They did a great job of keeping everything to the outside with lots of hard work, starts and stops and trading off without mistakes, with every player protecting their zone of the ice.

- I love how the Marlies respond more times than not after a bad situation. Be it a goal, a penalty kill, whatever. The next shift they usually come back with a forecheck and have a possession shift to try to regain momentum and stop the opposing team from taking over. It shows mental toughness.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
form the hotstove

- I keep talking about the forecheck and cycle of the Marlies, but for a reason – it’s that good. It’s such a contrast from the Leafs‘ game. The Marlies hem teams in for long periods of time and wear them down. Opponents can’t change, they spend all their energy defending, and punt it into the neutral zone when they finally get it back. The Marlies just dump it right back in, which is so difficult to defend.

- Another team point that’s worth noting: You can always hear the Marlies on both the bench and the ice yelling, more so than usual. It’s minuscule, but I think it helps the team. Communication is key to making the game easier, and this team is on the same page. It shows that Spott and the coaching staff have these players buying in.

- The Marlies d-zone coverage is really solid. A great example came in the second half of the first period in the Bulldogs game, when the Marlies got stuck in their own zone. They did a great job of keeping everything to the outside with lots of hard work, starts and stops and trading off without mistakes, with every player protecting their zone of the ice.

- I love how the Marlies respond more times than not after a bad situation. Be it a goal, a penalty kill, whatever. The next shift they usually come back with a forecheck and have a possession shift to try to regain momentum and stop the opposing team from taking over. It shows mental toughness.

It goes without saying there's a disconnect between both teams. However, the Marlies are developing a brand the we hope to see with the Leafs going forward. We do not have the same players however to execute the system the Marlies do at the NHL level. It will be up to Nonis (or future GM) to bring that into our fold.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it could be something as simple as this.

Leafs get outshot
"well it's from the outside, it's not a lot of chances, it's blah blah blah."

Leafs get outshot 40/50
"well we stopped skating for a time."

Marlies have ONE game where they let 40 shots go
Spott: "I will not tolerate that, and we will be having meetings with the players to make sure it doesn't happen again.

mikebel111*

great point Daisy. Spott did mention it's concerning when they allow 40 shots, he won't accept that nor will he accept it out of that room.

people need to see these marlies, honestly, I wish this team was our NHL team.

I love this team, and no I didn't mean the leafs

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
form the hotstove

most if not all the players down there had been drafted in the range where hard work and coach ability is your ticket to the show.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The irony is that Grand Rapid and Detroit Red Wings are on the same page. They have a proven system that they drill and train their young players.

Also, I hate to say it, Marlies have more toughness. Broll and Devane can both skate and play the game. They are not useless goons. Marlies forecheck with authority.

The disconnect couldn't be so obvious. I am not sure what the record is, but I think all the Marlies player combined that played for the leafs have a better winning record vs when we had less Marlies players

Early in the season we had Leivo, Broll, Smith, D'Amigo, Holland we were winning. Came back Clarkson and.........................

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's down to personnel. The Marlies don't have that elite skill guy to rely on whereas the Leafs have at least three in Kessel, Kadri and Lupul who would like to win a game on a quick strike play. I liken the Marlies to the Blue Jackets in a way. Built on blue collar principles without a star focus.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The irony is that Grand Rapid and Detroit Red Wings are on the same page. They have a proven system that they drill and train their young players.

Also, I hate to say it, Marlies have more toughness. Broll and Devane can both skate and play the game. They are not useless goons. Marlies forecheck with authority.

The disconnect couldn't be so obvious. I am not sure what the record is, but I think all the Marlies player combined that played for the leafs have a better winning record vs when we had less Marlies players

Early in the season we had Leivo, Broll, Smith, D'Amigo, Holland we were winning. Came back Clarkson and.........................

The Leafs and the Marlies need to be better synced in terms of style. Just as it is better to build teams with 3 lines similar in style to better work in the same system as well as moving player between lines. The AHL affiliate should play the same system as the NHL team does. At least the Marlies is a good, hardworking team with no leadership issues.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The Leafs and the Marlies need to be better synced in terms of style. Just as it is better to build teams with 3 lines similar in style to better work in the same system as well as moving player between lines. The AHL affiliate should play the same system as the NHL team does. At least the Marlies is a good, hardworking team with no leadership issues.

Part of is accountability. Steve Spott will rip their heads off if they have lazy nights. Dion wouldn't last a minute under him

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Part of is accountability. Steve Spott will rip their heads off if they have lazy nights. Dion wouldn't last a minute under him

Spott can be a tough guy with the Marlies and when he was in jr. Nhl players on long term big money deals arn't so easily intimated .

Imagine the look Kessel would give him if Spott asked him to play tougher .

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Spott can be a tough guy with the Marlies and when he was in jr. Nhl players on long term big money deals arn't so easily intimated .

You make a good point. I don't think Steve will ask Kessel to play tougher. He doesn't ask Spencer Abbott to play tougher, just be tough to play against. You'll agree there's a difference

The point is that players in the Marlies know what is expected. Repetitive mistakes are not allowed. We got outshot in 70% of our games. Steve will skate them with bags for days if that was the case under him

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

That's a very good trait for a team to have, and points to things about this roster that are lacking.

When we send out Kessel, Bozak and JVR after a goal we better hope we score off the rush because it's not like they're going out there to push back or send a message.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
It goes without saying there's a disconnect between both teams. However, the Marlies are developing a brand the we hope to see with the Leafs going forward. We do not have the same players however to execute the system the Marlies do at the NHL level. It will be up to Nonis (or future GM) to bring that into our fold.

why not were the 2nd tallest and 10th heaviest team in the NHL this year, were both taller and heavier then the Bruins and they do it just fine. we don't have a single player who plays regularly whose under 6'0

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/10/2013-14-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html

mikebel111*

marlies have had terrible nights which happens from time to time, but they seem to always respond the next game.

can't say for the leafs.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
That's a very good trait for a team to have, and points to things about this roster that are lacking.

When we send out Kessel, Bozak and JVR after a goal we better hope we score off the rush because it's not like they're going out there to push back or send a message.

Or worse......... Play Meclement and Kuli on 4 on 4 ( I am still scratching my head on that one )

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
it could be something as simple as this.

Leafs get outshot
"well it's from the outside, it's not a lot of chances, it's blah blah blah."

Leafs get outshot 40/50
"well we stopped skating for a time."

Marlies have ONE game where they let 40 shots go
Spott: "I will not tolerate that, and we will be having meetings with the players to make sure it doesn't happen again.

In the minors its easy, in the NHL with agents involved its a different animal altogether, also the GM's don't like their coaches sitting players they just singed to 7 and 8 million dollar deals, it make the GM's decisions in signing these players look bad.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Exactly! And wouldn't it make sense? You call guys up and they know what the system is, and what's expected.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Seriously. We are the second tallest? I think they took Maclaren and Orr into account. Which is very misleading.

But man are we bunch of pansies

everyone has the 1 or 2 guys that are huge Boston has Chara and Lucic but were still bigger then them. and Orr is only 6'3 that's not big in terms of NHL height.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

theres a difference between asking a player to play in a manner in which they are not suited for and being accountable for their actions on the ice.

as an example that raymond-franson giveaway has been happening all year long. they teach 7 year kids dont pass the puck up the middle. that is an example of 2 players ****ing up, costing the leafs a goal, and going on ho hum. as far as im concerned if it happens once you have the situation explained to you and get called out for making a bone head play, if it happens again you sit the rest of the period, again and the rest of the game, again and you are in the press box.

there are too many leafs who routinely **** up. im not sure where to check the stat but im sure the leafs are at the top of the league in giveaways. we play foolish hockey and make stupid mistakes which is why we arent making the playoffs. it has nothing to do with any one player, it is the entire team making these types of errors all season long.

there is also a way for a coach to get his point across without yelling, embaressing his players, or calling them out in the media.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

For $8.0M cap hit, he needs to do whatever it takes to make us a winner. He needs to GTFO if he has no intention of TAKING a HIT to make a play!

I'm sick of Kessel and his fear of contact!!!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It comes down to the sense of entitlement that the guys with the Leafs have. What are you going to do with guys that have the big ticket? You can't bench them all.

The guys with the Marlies have something the prove and its definitely not easy. Sometimes they are playing 3 games in 3 nights.

That being said, the styles that they play aren't the same as everyone is mentioning. This is a huge problem for when you are calling up players to play a role in case of injury.

For example: Dave Bolland goes down for 20 games, what should the solution be? Call up the Marlies 3rd line centreman that plays more of a shutdown role. But what the Leafs have done is called up a guy that scores a lot and doesn't play that type of role. It doesn't make sense.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
theres a difference between asking a player to play in a manner in which they are not suited for and being accountable for their actions on the ice.

as an example that raymond-franson giveaway has been happening all year long. they teach 7 year kids dont pass the puck up the middle. that is an example of 2 players ****ing up, costing the leafs a goal, and going on ho hum. as far as im concerned if it happens once you have the situation explained to you and get called out for making a bone head play, if it happens again you sit the rest of the period, again and the rest of the game, again and you are in the press box.

there are too many leafs who routinely **** up. im not sure where to check the stat but im sure the leafs are at the top of the league in giveaways. we play foolish hockey and make stupid mistakes which is why we arent making the playoffs. it has nothing to do with any one player, it is the entire team making these types of errors all season long.

there is also a way for a coach to get his point across without yelling, embaressing his players, or calling them out in the media.

I understand what you're saying but installing a system and holding the players accountable for it's execution is much easier done in the AHL where you hold the players career in your hands than in the NHL with players on big money long term deals .

I'll put it this way , Kessel is going to play how he plays and all a coach can do is try to minimize his defensive deficiencies because benching him for any length of time isn't an option regardless of how he's playing.

The same can be said with DP and Lupul as well as even DC who's constantly being bump to a scoring line regardless of how poorly he's playing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know if it's necessarily easier in the AHL or it's just very difficult with our particular group. When you have young guns, perhaps its tougher to convince them of the value of a blue collar work ethic when they feel like they can win by other means...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad