Post-Game Talk: Leafs loses to Hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Keefe is funny, bragging again how Robertson always shows up after being benched, when it's really just the player giving a huge f*** you to his coach.

For a team that needs secondary scoring, a guy who is on an 18 goal pace, with stupid low minutes and no PP time, you need to find a way to keep him in the lineup. He was struggling last couple games prior to being pulled, but ditto Knies, it's part of the learning curve, stick with it and you'll be rewarded. And his defensive play isn't that and at all, he can hustle win a puck, which was evident several times last night.

View attachment 837387
The leafs don’t use Robertson properly. He should be in a top 6 role with Nylander and Domi where those 3 can use their speed. McMann should play with Tavares and Knies. Bertuzzi should play with Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Pretty hard to believe the Leafs were actually leading this game at any point.

These numbers are 5-on-5 from NST so the refs weren't involved in this stench.

Screenshot_20240317-111435.png

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I absolutely think Auston Matthews is capable of scoring sixty goals without Mitch Marner.

Matthews goal scoring ability is heavily connected to an absolutely invisible and lightning fast release.

He's not one of these guys who cleverly finds seams and gets home and requires a skilled playmaker to take advantage and find him when he's discovered an opening.

Matthews, paired with any decent puck distributor, is a deadly goal scorer.

Pretending that Marner should be getting a ton of praise for Matthews success is completely wrong.
Facts

🎯

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
being more calm this morning I’ve just come to realization that this team ain’t doing shit until Matthews, Nylander, Marner put this team on their shoulders. I was so pissed at the refs last night but once again this team folds closing out a game. Matthews is a f***ing clown. He goes on these super red hot streaks and then he decides to take a whole month off. He looks so disinterested in hockey lately. Treliving could make 100 moves at the deadline, it doesn’t matter. This team needs our core to rise to the occasion.

The playoffs are going to be the same sad story unless Matthews and Nylander wake the f*** up

Reactions: MSZ and Al14

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Keefe is funny, bragging again how Robertson always shows up after being benched, when it's really just the player giving a huge f*** you to his coach.
Putting aside that that's pure speculation, you'd kind of just be reinforcing that Keefe was right and that method works for Robertson.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
The refs weren’t against us. They were incompetent. But one has to question why we are one of the teams with least PPs in the league?
Look at this from the perspective that the referees are not incompetent. That they are actually very good, and there are four of them patrolling a small area so they see everything. (Unlike the lone soccer ref on a huge field by himself). Then trust your own eyes. Remarkable how the whole thing becomes crystal clear.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
being more calm this morning I’ve just come to realization that this team ain’t doing shit until Matthews, Nylander, Marner put this team on their shoulders. I was so pissed at the refs last night but once again this team folds closing out a game. Matthews is a f***ing clown. He goes on these super red hot streaks and then he decides to take a whole month off. He looks so disinterested in hockey lately. Treliving could make 100 moves at the deadline, it doesn’t matter. This team needs our core to rise to the occasion.

The playoffs are going to be the same sad story unless Matthews and Nylander wake the f*** up

It's been like this for years now. You can change up the pieces around them [even add a big player like O'Reilly], but at the end of the day unless our stars are better than the other teams stars we will not win.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

You'd think that hitting 70 goals would inspire him. Guy may not even hit 100 points if he continues to sleepwalk through the rest of the regular season. He must be like many fans who think the regular season is too long and can't wait for it to be over. I know I am ready to watch some playoff hockey so we can see who these guys truely are. The team that made Carolina look terrible in the second or the team that folded in the 3rd.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
On to the next. Leafs are destined for 3rd.

We draw the 2 worst teams either way. The way the seeding works is terrible.

NHL is apparently happy with that.
MLSE happy with that. They've not canvassed the past few years to have an obviously stupid policy changed, have they? Some dummy at NHL headquarters thought this seeding s**t up, so some other dummy could now come up with an alternative.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Leafs also had 3 pp goals . Canes were frustrated and they should have slowed the game right down .
Pretty hard to believe the Leafs were actually leading this game at any point.

These numbers are 5-on-5 from NST so the refs weren't involved in this stench.

View attachment 837411
they had three break away goals. They played a good game but the score was misleading and canes worked their way back and leafs again showing they don't have the killer instinct

Reactions: Burnie97

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You'd think that hitting 70 goals would inspire him. Guy may not even hit 100 points if he continues to sleepwalk through the rest of the regular season. He must be like many fans who think the regular season is too long and can't wait for it to be over. I know I am ready to watch some playoff hockey so we can see who these guys truely are. The team that made Carolina look terrible in the second or the team that folded in the 3rd.
With how he was going you would have thought 60 and 100 were automatic milestones this season but maybe Marner being out is going to torpedo his season. The Rocket race has also tightened imagine how much I will puke if Hyman catches him lol

Reactions: ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs also had 3 pp goals . Canes were frustrated and they should have slowed the game right down .

they had three break away goals. They played a good game but the score was misleading and canes worked their way back and leafs again showing they don't have the killer instinct

Was score watching as I was doing other things and was looking forward to watching the game when I had time. I saw the 3-1 come up and I wondered is this the beginning of the comeback from the dreaded 3-0 lead. Then 3-2. Then 4-2 and was like "gonna be an enjoyable watch". Then the real Leafs showed up at the 18 minute mark. I deleted the saved game. To cheer myself up I looked up mortgage and inflation rates.

Calm today.

Should be upset about how they lost the lead, end of period collapse, not that they lost.

Lost in a shoot-out.

Can we claim the new players haven't adjusted?

Matthews 3 goals in 10 games, that's 24 game pace, that isn't horrible for a play maker.

And Guentzel wins the skills competition.

Got a point, and played evenly through an entire hockey game with the 'Canes.

Tying the 'Canes is pretty good.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he wanted to live in nicer weather, pay no taxes and face zero scrutiny, it's not that complicated
No. Every time a free agent signs with a different team, it's because they despise the Leafs core group on a personal and professional level and there's no other reason

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Inside of 15 feet clear path to the net and hit the boards all 3 times.

It's tough to look at a 5-4so score and somehow think of it as being goalied.

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
This team isn't it. I'll watch them until their season is done (sadist for over 40 years now), but until we can free up a certain contract worth about $11m/yr and/or the keep-failing-clubs-alive cap is removed, we're not winning anything. I'll reserve proper judgement for 2026 when said contract is off the books. Obligatory thanks Dubas.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Putting aside that that's pure speculation, you'd kind of just be reinforcing that Keefe was right and that method works for Robertson.

Yeah, I don't really see what the difference is between him "showing up" after being benched or playing well as a f*** you to his coach after being benched.

Either way, it appears to be an effective way to get the best out of a player, and isn't that exactly what you want your coach to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad