Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
All the coaches seem to know Keefes issues and or flaws.

He’s massively out coached. Guys doing checkers while most coaches are doing chess.

Guy loses Montreal and CBJ series with a way superior team. Myopic I’m back to back losses with Bolts.

The best army in the world still gets it’s ass kicked with a crappy General.

Tre just didn’t want to rock the boat too much, but no way Keefe is staying…
Guys need a new voice.

Whatever wich coach youre takibg, if your goalie always giving up weak goal every game dansmd never get the job done. You can di the best job of the world and having vest foward/d group... you will struggle to win. Since keefe is in Toronto, leafs goalie had been outplayed on every series except vs tampa last season... and wow surprising, its the only serie won...

When toronto beat tampa, it was because vasilevskiy was just totally trash and cost the series... but when samsonov/ campbell did the same exact thing than vasilevskiy, core 4 was not good enough

The only good goalie leafs had last 20 was Andersen and injuries pull him off toronto ( and his health atill continu to be an issu in Carolina)

until leafs doesn't solve his problem in front the net, it will be hard to have a long playoff run... i dont have any trust in Samsonov to be that guy... so right now all the hope goes to Woll... if its doesn't work, a pretty bad truth is maybe leafs will need to wait until akhtyamov would be NHL ready in 3-4 season. Goalie is the more important position in hockey come playoff time...watch everyteam having succes, they goalie had been a big part of succes...how many goal did leafs won because of their goaltending last 4? I stop at 2... how many game they lost resulting of weak goaltending just last season i count minimum 3 game resulting of bad goaltending.

When your starting every series youre playing like -2 in category game stole/ game cost by goalie... thats meaning you need to win 4 of 5 remaining game

Mar 26, 2010
O'Rielly's opinion is about the last one I care about when it comes to anything Toronto related. Guys a douchebag.
He just knew he would never have a “C” or an “A” on his jersey in Toronto. He Has to be the center of attention, and the number one wherever he plays. He knew he wasn’t even a top-five player on the team here, so that’s right he cried, like a little girl and left.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Taking your time and playing it safe when he had a month and a half before NMCs on the core kicked in and an expiring Keefe was a misread of what the team needed. We needed someone chasing glory at all costs, not prioritizing how long they can get MLSE to pay them.
lol i would agree with the first bolded but the 2nd....I dont get those kind of vibes from Tre. He really didnt have much time or knowledge of what to do when he arrived. He listened to Shanny and to the core guys and made the best decisions he could with what he knew. His wording when describing the new guys he brought in got me excited until I saw them play....sans Reaves the first game....Its still early but so far Domi and Bertuzzi seem anything but full of snot kind of players.

Im ok giving him a chance and what he does from here will interesting as it always is but and its just me speculating ,if its already been decided at the top that Keefe stays and the core 4 remain intact no matter what then it doesnt matter anyway and it really is just shuffling the deck chairs and chances are we end up where we have for a few yrs now which would be unfortunate...At least those SJ teams that never won went deep on several occassions before finally being broken up.

I have this vision of Shanny when hiring Tre telling him that he can do whatever he wantswith the team except trade the core 4 no matter the contract costs and you cant trade Rielly and you cant fire Keefe but other than that its all you...lol

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
one thing we’ve really f***ed ourselves with is the 3C position, minten is no where near ready. Dude is not going to score at all at his current level. He needs to go down. However we have a glaring hole there and I don’t think holmberg fixes that.
Minten being that good in preseason messed up the 'Willy at C' experiment that I think we have to go back to.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Gonna be honest, barely bearing a Montreal team in a shootout, losing in regulation to Chicago and losing to a Florida team without their best 2 d might not be making the playoffs….but hey atleast that should be the final nail in the coffin on the keefe experiment
If something catastrophic happens like that then I would thing Shanny would be shown the door as well.

O'Rielly's opinion is about the last one I care about when it comes to anything Toronto related. Guys a douchebag.
Fair enough but he still a guy who has won a cup and has been in a cup winning environment with a cup winning coach. If he has some thoughts about what he sees or doesnt see in the leafs room, Im at least listening.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Minten being that good in preseason messed up the 'Willy at C' experiment that I think we have to go back to.
Or lets try Nylander (or marner) on Mintens wing. 88 can run the line from the wing and he is more comfortable there. And imo Minten needs to play with a good player for at least a game or 2 to help him out.

Reactions: arso40

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
lol i would agree with the first bolded but the 2nd....I dont get those kind of vibes from Tre. He really didnt have much time or knowledge of what to do when he arrived. He listened to Shanny and to the core guys and made the best decisions he could with what he knew. His wording when describing the new guys he brought in got me excited until I saw them play....sans Reaves the first game....Its still early but so far Domi and Bertuzzi seem anything but full of snot kind of players.

Im ok giving him a chance and what he does from here will interesting as it always is but and its just me speculating ,if its already been decided at the top that Keefe stays and the core 4 remain intact no matter what then it doesnt matter anyway and it really is just shuffling the deck chairs and chances are we end up where we have for a few yrs now which would be unfortunate...At least those SJ teams that never won went deep on several occassions before finally being broken up.

I have this vision of Shanny when hiring Tre telling him that he can do whatever he wantswith the team except trade the core 4 no matter the contract costs and you cant trade Rielly and you cant fire Keefe but other than that its all you...lol

It’s for sure on Shanny/MLSE more than it is on Tre re: the core but I can’t imagine extending Keefe was mandated by them. They wouldn’t have hired him if they thought he’d make a big shakeup trade with the core.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Gonna be honest, barely bearing a Montreal team in a shootout, losing in regulation to Chicago and losing to a Florida team without their best 2 d might not be making the playoffs….but hey atleast that should be the final nail in the coffin on the keefe experiment
Lol come on.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s for sure on Shanny/MLSE more than it is on Tre re: the core but I can’t imagine extending Keefe was mandated by them. They wouldn’t have hired him if they thought he’d make a big shakeup trade with the core.
Without change, nothing changes, or should I say without meaningful change nothing changes……..

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Tre also likely wouldn't have accepted if he wasn't 100% on board with such a plan.

Both sides will and should be judged by how well this team performs between now and next summer

Reactions: Gallagbi

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Tre also likely wouldn't have accepted if he wasn't 100% on board with such a plan.

Both sides will and should be judged by how well this team performs between now and next summer

Of course I’m just curious whether he’s on board because he’s certain he can make this core into a winner, or he just saw it as a safe option to spend 3-4 years tinkering around the edges for a nice paycheck and turning a few 2nd round exits into another GM job later.

After his big moves in Calgary fell flat he was at risk of the small market rebuild GM/assistant GM on a contender down slide like Chiarelli.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't recall too many Leafs "experiments" having gone particularly well over the past number of years. They have no patience to see any idea through.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Last season was about as predictable as you could get. The only thing I missed on was doing a rebuild after the playoffs. I still think that was Dubas’ goal, but he got overridden.
Interesting thought.

So you believe Shanny is and or was the one calling all the shots

Reactions: Nineteen67

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I fully expect them to crap their pants in the playoffs regardless. The regular season means nothing to me.

Through 4 games, the Leafs find themselves in a similar position to how they began last season, playing up and down and compiling a .500 record, 2-2-0, playing down to their opponents in 2 of those games, against a pair of bottom feeders in Montreal and Chicago.

Obviously, it's still early in the season, so we're probably still in the "we shouldn't overreact yet" hemisphere, but when you consider that this team could very well be 0-4-0 right now after trailing in every single game they've played, it's certainly a cause for at least some concern. The Leafs really have no excuses anymore.

Vegas is 5-0-0 to begin the season, Boston is 3-0-0 despite losing both of their top-6 centers in Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci and the Avs are 4-0-0 without their captain in the lineup.

Reactions: Whacky5

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
Keefe is the problem. Always has been. He just does not know how to adjust during games. When he's putting the 4th line out after we score a goal or after a PP situation, its just mind blowing sometimes how he distributes the lines during the game.

When a line isn't scoring, if one of those players are struggling after the first period ends, and we're down by a couple of goals, why does he not rotate some guys and see who clicks for that particular game? Some guys have off nights, I get it, but when they do, rotate them out. It's so frustrating when you see it happening during the game and the same old, same old happens.

We do have good players on this team but the execution of setting them up for success is never there.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

IMG_6682.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Blowfish and Buds17

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
I know Reaves wont score a bunch but his presence on the ice is obvious. It should create a little more space for the skill guys. A guy like Reaves has been what this team has been missing. The lack of heart was obvious vs the Pathers last year, need more this year if they hope to go deep.
As long as Coach Keefe doesn't neuter him like I think he's did with our other tough boys in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad