Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose to Sens

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Daft answer.

Some of the same people commending Rielly would be whining for a month if Tkachuk did that to Nylander or Marner. If you take off your Blue and White glasses, it was a cheap shot. I get it, you do not do what Grieg, but the reaction was over the top in game where the team showed little in terms of intensity and emotion. Hopefully he does not get more than 3 games.
It’s hilarious, half the posts are about Sens being cheap shot artists and divers, and than they see no issue with a complete cheap shot.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
David Perron got 6 games for his crosscheck on Zub. This appeared worse as it was at the end of a game and bitter apples for Reilly. The Sens are all irritants and Greig was a showboat idiot. However Perrons came after Larkin was knoxked out by punches to his head and Perron lost temper. I think Reilly gets 6 gams. The bar was set earlier this year.
This didn't appear worse than Perrron.

Reactions: ToneDog

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
David Perron got 6 games for his crosscheck on Zub. This appeared worse as it was at the end of a game and bitter apples for Reilly. The Sens are all irritants and Greig was a showboat idiot. However Perrons came after Larkin was knoxked out by punches to his head and Perron lost temper. I think Reilly gets 6 gams. The bar was set earlier this year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shanny has really changed for da worse since he was a kid .. we used to be sh*t kickin Mimico kids who fought on da daily .. now we have a "Jenn" team with few "Morgan" exceptions .. reality is she probably wouldn't be any worse
I’m convinced if Shanahan showed up at the Blue Goose tavern he’d not be welcomed, the shame of Mimico………

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Rielly incident aside.. is it an error on the game page or did we really get 0 powerplay to the Sens 4? Can someone explain?
Yes, but two of them were the Rielly major and misconduct right at the end, so it was effectively 2-0 in penalties.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Unfortunately, the outcome was predictable given our record against bottom feeders this season. If we end up missing the playoffs, that will be the primary reason.

Reactions: uncleben

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It's not a stretch. The Leafs can beat any team in the league and have proven that. I see the Leafs as the Eastern Conference Champs. Colorado is my pick as the Stanley Cup Champion, but the Toronto is very capable of discarding Boston, Florida, NYR, or Carolina. Of course, any success in the playoffs can be a razor thin margin, need to get some breaks and of course goaltending is key. Let's not forget the Leafs are doing all of this without their #1 goalie. I have complete faith in the Brick Woll.
My only concern with Woll is his health.

Reactions: ACC1224

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
So intentionally trying to physically harm someone who hasn't done any harm to you is within reason because you were embarrassed?
You don't have to understand or like it. I understand your perspective.

I feel it was an appropriate response.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Tavares paired up as did the others. It was 6-4, no one really for Marner to pair up with.

They didn’t need to do anything. Just protect Rielly which they did.

ROFL

Yeah, Senators are lucky there was no one for Marner to pair up with... Mitch was about to show them whats what !

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
How do we possibly continue to get 0-1 PP opportunities a game?

It's like Christmas round here when we get 3 PPs in a game.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
How about drop the gloves like a man? I am all for going after a guy, but a cheap cross check to the head is just a move for a gutless person
In all fairness, the gutless puke probably wouldn't have engaged Rielly. Deep down he knows he shouldn't have done that or that a response would be coming. If you've played the game, you know that you make momentary decisions in the heat of the moment that are sometimes regrettable and the result not as intended. I don't think Rielly was trying to decapitate him or cross-check him in the face. He went a little high and his stick rode up his shoulder to his face. He was trying to deliver a message. Message received much more effectively than Rielly dropping his gloves to no avail.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Based on 1000 simulations, I think the playoff teams are probably set, it's just a matter of what order.

• Boston 100% chance to make the playoffs
  • Florida 99.3% chance to make the playoffs
  • Rangers 99.1% chance to make the playoffs
  • Carolina 95.9% chance to make the playoffs
  • Toronto 80.0% chance to make the playoffs
  • Detroit 75.8% chance to make the playoffs
  • Flyers 74.5% chance to make the playoffs
  • Tampa Bay 73.7% chance to make the playoffs
  • Pittsburgh 41.8% chance to make the playoffs
  • Devils 27.0% chance to make the playoffs
  • Islanders 19.6% chance to make the playoffs
  • Capitals 8.4% chance to make the playoffs
  • Ottawa 2.3% chance to make the playoffs
  • Buffalo 1.8% chance to make the playoffs
  • Montreal 0.8% chance to make the playoffs
  • Columbus 0.00% chance to make the playoffs

Current Match up is:

Boston (A-1) vs Red Wings (WC2)
Florida (A-2) vs Tampa (A-3)
Rangers (M-1) vs Toronto (WC1)
Hurricanes (M-2) vs Flyers (M-3)

If the Leafs beat the Rangers their next opponent would be 'Canes or Flyers. Not the worst scenario in the world to have to go through the Metro. Rangers after being world beaters to start the season have fallen off quite a bit, the 'Canes are struggling to find good goal tending and have had a season very much like the Leafs...up/down super inconsistent. Flyers are oddly good but Tort's already said they are in a win later mode and will be trading off parts before the deadline. Would I like to play the Panthers or Bruins in the 3rd round vs the 1st or 2nd? Hell yeah, let them beat up on each other before we have to play one of them them. Odd that the worse Leaf team of the last 6 years might have the 2nd easiest path in the last 6 years but are not good enough to take advantage... so very Leafy...
I can't see this team beating the Rangers if the Rangers show up but it would be so Leafy if they beat the Rangers and then lost to Carolina. I can't see Philly getting out of round #1.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
In all fairness, the gutless puke probably wouldn't have engaged Rielly. Deep down he knows he shouldn't have done that or that a response would be coming. If you've played the game, you know that you make momentary decisions in the heat of the moment that are sometimes regrettable and the result not as intended. I don't think Rielly was trying to decapitate him or cross-check him in the face. He went a little high and his stick rode up his shoulder to his face. He was trying to deliver a message. Message received much more effectively than Rielly dropping his gloves to no avail.
I hear ya, just wish he would have just ragdolled him than. I just don’t like stick work, it wasn’t super viscous, but a couple punches to the head would suffice. What should have happened is at the next face off, line brawl

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Shanny should be the first to go. I'm just afraid they might replace him with Jennifer Botteril.

Shanny has really changed for da worse since he was a kid .. we used to be sh*t kickin Mimico kids who fought on da daily .. now we have a "Jenn" team with few "Morgan" exceptions .. reality is she probably wouldn't be any worse

I have a feeling she would be kind of like Dubas lite. She sees the game her way, and dammit she's going to achieve that through the draft. At least Mr Jen would prolly get the job of skills coach for the org!

In other news TJ being TJ must have rubbed off on Simone last night.

Lesson for Coach Shelly. Never ever leave a player stewing in the press box when he's capable of playing. I don't care what he did, or what you think he did, but what you did by doing that, took any edge off of him that was developing. Leaving him there while clearly evident that TJ has needed to take a seat for awhile is just negligent.

I'm not saying Lags is the answer but was he going to be worse than Brodies been the last 6 months?

I can't see how firing Keefe is the answer to this teams problems, because it's more than just systems. St Scotty couldn't get these guys on the right path. The total lack of accountability of the past regime has created a team that seems hyper focused on individual achievement.

Case in point, MM finds himself in position A, there is lots of traffic in front of the net. Instead of shooting he hesitates, looks for 34 who btw is not in a good position and is also covered and MM tries to force a pass because 34 called for one.

The team needs Ws more than 34 needs goals, it's time that fact, starts getting stressed to the 1 line, and to PP1. It's not too late to turn it around. As a Leafs fan what would you rather have. AM showing off his 70th goal puck or a drum tight, disciplined, unselfish, positionally sound machine, thats razor sharp and ready for the playoffs.

Also and my last point, the breakout last night looked without structure or discipline, there is no friggin way 16 when in the 2 lane on a carry out should be running up a teammates back, a teammate who wasn't paying attention and crossed his path. That little traffic jamb is what caused the turnover that led to the 2nd goal.

When the Leafs are clicking its only because they are playing sound positionally, too many individuals always lead to poor results.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Scoring on an empty net is being gutless? How about play better, then they can’t score empty netters. Cross checking someone in the face is not going after someone lol. I’m guessing you probably enjoy punching a guy already engaged in a fight too.
You saw that play and thought Rielly went after him for scoring the empty netter?

Lol idk how your mind blocks out the real reason but whatever

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I can't see this team beating the Rangers if the Rangers show up but it would be so Leafy if they beat the Rangers and then lost to Carolina. I can't see Philly getting out of round #1.
The same can be said if the Leafs at their best show up, too often we get the team that's focused on getting "34 to 70" or "70 for 34" whichever is your preferred slogan, and that team doesn't seem to care about winning! Funny that.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I hear ya, just wish he would have just ragdolled him than. I just don’t like stick work, it wasn’t super viscous, but a couple punches to the head would suffice. What should have happened is at the next face off, line brawl
Wonder if Todd Bertuzzi regrets what he did to Moore? Yes, Leafs needed to make a statement and is nothing compared to the Bertuzzi hit but a crosscheck to the head is dangerous. Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me but they told me the initial contact was to the head. Guess I should have another look after I put on my Blue and White glasses.

Reactions: rumman and myleafs

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That may have turned the Leafs year around.

Dirty or not, Rielly absolutely crushing the bullshit slapshot changes everything
Don't count on it. These guys are closer to the guys who did nothing after Marchand slew footed Lily than to the Tkachuk brothers, Bennett, Marchand, DeBrusk, Wilson, Kadri, Gallagher, Perry, Maroon, Perron etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad