Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose ... On the brink of elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
I'm thinking the Bruins hold Bergeron out for 1 more game to be safe with hopes of having him 100% for the "next round". Which would open the door for a huge Game 5 win, and even if Bergy is back for Game 6 it's in our barn and hopefully get the dub to force an "anything can happen" Game 7! :nod:

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Isnt pastrnak the same age as nylander?

He has more points than all our young guns combined. No excuses about this young bull****. Some players play under pressure, others dont. Doesnt matter what age they are.

Pastrnak has all-world linemates that have won on so many different levels and it's easy to learn from the best.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I was at the game and up until Boston took the lead, the Leafs were outplaying the Bruins.

This series has been a story of missed chances. Kapanen has had a few breakaways that could've easily changed the outcomes of games 1 and 2. Marner's breakaway would've given TO the lead in 2nd. And a bunch of other chances where the Leafs had sustained offensive zone pressure and just weren't able to finish. There aren't a whole lot of times where I could say Boston has just flat out outplayed the Leafs, outside of when games were already out of hand and their confidence was in the toilet.

It may be 3-1 in the series but it isn't as simple or one sided as the scoreboard may indicate, imo.
We got blown out of half the games in this series. That series score is exactly as one-sided as it looks. There are times you can say the series score doesn't reflect what's going on in the games. But this is one occasion where it absolutely does.

The Leafs had chances in the last game no doubt. It isn't as if they had no hope. But while Marner didn't score on a breakaway we gave Boston more high quality opportunities to score. For every if in our favor there are ifs in their favor that could have made Game 4 an even more lopsided game. We just have to work with what did happen. The Leafs had the puck a lot in the first couple periods and had shots, but they had few high quality chances. Rask did not look burdened in Game 4. If our top guys were all playing as they could, then it would have made for a different game. There was no fight in that third period. No desperation to avoid going down 3-1 and instead tie it up. This was a game where Boston didn't have their all-world top line center.

It's not the end of the world. They've got future chances. But this series has been a disappointment and the team has let themselves down. This isn't a close series. And if they don't find their game it will be over in 5 games. Which is unfortunate.

Reactions: canadon

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Leafs will win the next game.Sometimes only true adversity brings out the best in players/ people. They have got to get to the front of the Bruins net and muck it up.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
While our top line has been garbage, Nylander just looks like hes uninterested. I don't think I have seen him throw a hit or block a shot.. You don't win with players like that. Really expected more out that group.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
While our top line has been garbage, Nylander just looks like hes uninterested. I don't think I have seen him throw a hit or block a shot.. You don't win with players like that. Really expected more out that group.
I honestly think Nylander is scared to get crushed along the boards and Matthews is injuried

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I honestly think Nylander is scared to get crushed along the boards and Matthews is injuried

Not buying this Matthews is injured crap, everyone plays hurt in the playoffs, it is what it is. I also noticed that only started coming up last night after our loss.

Reactions: dsred

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Not buying this Matthews is injured crap, everyone plays hurt in the playoffs, it is what it is. I also noticed that only started coming up last night after our loss.
I was at the game and think he is hurt because he isn't skating right unless he has the puck at which point he will skate a little harder but then try and dish it off while he rests.

He isn't getting into the positions he usually gets into as a result.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'd think about starting McElhinney or Sparks in the next one. Andersen doesn't want to start on time and we can't afford playing from behind in the next game. it's too deflating

Reactions: RCS

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd think about starting McElhinney or Sparks in the next one. Andersen doesn't want to start on time and we can't afford playing from behind in the next game. it's too deflating
Lol, let's start the guy we got on waivers or a guy who has done jack shit. Geezus.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Naz has quite the playoff beard eh

naz.jpg

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
On one game this series, Andersen let in 3 of Boston's first 4 shots. I don't blame the team for losing momentum after that. I would have as well.

Then last game... MUST win, and Andersen lets in a bullshit goal 30 seconds into the game on Bostons first f***ing shot.

I think if we were a team of seasoned vets, the team might've been able to hold it together after all of Andersen's bullshit. But this team of sophomores? No. Andersen's play has been far too deflating.

The only game we won, Andersen had a decent game (not even a "good" game... just decent. An Andersen softie special happened that game as well). Imagine that... when Andersen doesn't start the game by giving the other team a 1-3 goal advantage in the first couple of minutes, the leafs do better. Shocking.

It's of course not just Andersen's fault. There's a lot of blame to go around. But it's more Andersen's fault than any other individual.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
Does DJ Smith actually collect a salary for for doing **** all? H does nothing except hide his mouth talking to B-Cock!!!!!!!!!! What does he actually do because in two years our defense has not improved one bit since he has been the defense coach. Cherry said it and Pee Wee players and younger know you stay in the middle on a two on one and let the goalie take the shooter. What in God's green earth does this A=hole teach the d-fense? The Leafs need a Hall of Famer to teach defense not this guy who barely played any NHL.....DAMN

Thanks for the laugh, I lost it at the bolded :laugh:

I won't speculate on DJ Smith's efficacy as a coach, I mean like you said those are peewee basics that shouldn't have to be repeated to these guys.

If you ask me the real reason he's here is that Hyman is his illegitimate child who he wants to keep a close eye on. The resemblance is uncanny!

(Obvious :sarcasm:, I think Hyman has done a great job this series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad