Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in OT: Rule 63.2 Yes it was a penalty

• Thread starter leafstilldeath*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disgruntled Observer*

I'm possibly the most frustrated person in the world at leaf fans making lame excuses and blaming refs and such.
But even I think that was a pretty weak call on Bernier considering it was OT.

And I think the number 1 reason this team is currently sitting in a playoff position is because of the Reimer/Bernier tandem. It's INSANE that some people are critical of one/both of them.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
It's just a major pisser. I like nothing more than raining on the habs parade but it's tough to do when it seems like the refs are looking for every excuse in the book to call something on you.

Well, the habs have a pretty decent team, and games between these teams are usually tight; can't expect to win em all. Though that last call was an odd one to make based on the timing.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Well, the habs have a pretty decent team, and games between these teams are usually tight; can't expect to win em all. Though that last call was an odd one to make based on the timing.

yeah, it was the worst timing. who were the refs, by the way? anyone know?

i think we have a better team than they do, too. if we didn't get destroyed by losing our two most important centres at the same time we'd likely be ahead of them in the standings.

cujoflutie

check my posting history. You'll see 2 common points I bring up
-I was an official in the OMHA for 14 years until a car accident ended my career
-I feel the NHL officiating is generally very fair compared to the OHL, NBA and NFL where it is very obvious there is tampering

You wont find a single post blaming the officials for a result in any given NHL game. Heck I will argue with any leaf fan who attempts to say the Kings series in 1993 was rigged (my thesis is that it was a blown call due to Kerry Fraser being afraid of tossing gretzky)

That being said both times the leafs have headed to montreal have had VERY biased officiating towards the habs. And to be honest while I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, if I did have to point out a negative pattern/bias with respect to the officiating, it is what Shane Doan brought up to get him so much heat a few years back "french refs in montreal....."

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
check my posting history. You'll see 2 common points I bring up
-I was an official in the OMHA for 14 years until a car accident ended my career
-I feel the NHL officiating is generally very fair compared to the OHL, NBA and NFL where it is very obvious there is tampering

You wont find a single post blaming the officials for a result in any given NHL game. Heck I will argue with any leaf fan who attempts to say the Kings series in 1993 was rigged (my thesis is that it was a blown call due to Kerry Fraser being afraid of tossing gretzky)

That being said both times the leafs have headed to montreal have had VERY biased officiating towards the habs. And to be honest while I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, if I did have to point out a negative pattern/bias with respect to the officiating, it is what Shane Doan brought up to get him so much heat a few years back "french refs in montreal....."

it was pretty ****ing brutal. i'll rarely blame the refs for a loss myself, but as soon as the game was over i thought "well the refs won that game." and stormed off.

i rarely get angry like this over a game, but i was LIVID. that said, i should go to ****ing s leep already.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yes ,it was fixed.

That call would never have been made against Budaj and it is high time Leaf nation made a stink as they made another dubious call late in the game in a blatant attempt to fix the game. Carlyle was livid, he knew what happened. What are the names of those refs, anyone know?

About Lupul,he has his money and is 30. Before he was trying to prove himself coming back from injury and spurned by Anaheim. Like all players at 30, once they have their money, they decline quickly, just ask Clarkson. It never works...ever. Yet still we pay them hoping to win the lottery.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
that's two points the refs have won against the leafs this year.

first Malkin in Pitts goalie interference goal, now this.

if they miss the playoffs by two points, ill be pissed, but they also piss away easy points against bunk teams.

cujoflutie

also look at the five minute major given to the Pens against the habs last week. I still remember 2 years ago a game like this where the habs got every call and "Patches" got away with a clear five minute major also against Pittsburgh. The pens won in OT off of one bad call (officials failing to blow it down when Price had it) and the habs cried.

And of course we all know the phantom Gryba/Eller major/suspension in the playoffs last year.

All coincidences? Maybe but it seems every game where something smells of bias, the habs are benefactor.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Guaranteed that exact same play happens vs the Leafs this season, and it isnt called a penalty. In fact it probably happens in the playoffs.

We're always the team that gets the call that no one has seen a in a decade.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
also look at the five minute major given to the Pens against the habs last week. I still remember 2 years ago a game like this where the habs got every call and "Patches" got away with a clear five minute major also against Pittsburgh. The pens won in OT off of one bad call (officials failing to blow it down when Price had it) and the habs cried.

And of course we all know the phantom Gryba/Eller major/suspension in the playoffs last year.

All coincidences? Maybe but it seems every game where something smells of bias, the habs are benefactor.

Let's not forget about Boston. ;)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That call on Berny, ummmmm I can't recall that ever being called like that before.

It's kinda like the call in the summer Olympics and the ladies soccer, in the rules?,yes.

Ever seen it called like that?, no.

This feels like that game against Pitt.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Who was french last night? As far as the conspiracy theorists, it is sad 'cause in the last years where that same "theory" was applied, it has been proven times and times again that we have around the same number of PK than PP at home. This year? 109 vs 109. And look throughout the league....there's plenty of teams who have a much better record. It's just that it's easy to blame it on a language. Luckily for this fanbase, nobody has tried to get a record of Ontarians officiating a Leafs game at home....It is so easy to nitpick the bad penalties called for the Habs....yet nobody will sort the bad penalties against....How is it then possible to make a fair analysis? Unless......that's not the point. Yet, that 5 minutes penalty against Pittsburgh was grand larceny. Unfortunately, the day that "challenges" by the coach isn't here yet, when it will be, it will fix everything. But I guess we are so much better than the refs......in our home.....with 10 replays from all different angles....

Do referees still suck? Yes, I do believe they do. Their fault? The league's fault because of how they want to call it? Don't know. Too many borderline penalties called for my liking. But that would be for EVERY team in this league. To go at it with a "but they favor the Habs" is just totally untrue and it makes everybody's point about officiating totally flawed.

By the way, last game Leafs vs Habs at Montreal....Nov. 30. There was a french referee....Justin St.Pierre. Result? Leafs Powerplays: 4. Habs powerplays: 2.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Forget the refs - bad calls happen

We should be concerned about the team's inability to hold a lead, a lack of any kind of 4th line, and a team that seems to play half a game most nights

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Blame the refs all you want, but if this team could simply hold a lead in the third, it's never a problem to begin with. In the last two games, in the last 10 minutes of the third periods, we've given up a one goal lead on 3 separate occasions, and lost both games in OT. This team is garbage and will go nowhere in the playoffs.

the call on Gleason was a pile of horse-puckey, the call on Bernier was worse, the calls that were let go on the home side were disgraceful. Anybody who has played knows this

It has always been this way for the visitors in Montreal ever since the Richard riots, the NHL needs to get consistent in refereeing games no matter the venue, otherwise it will always be viewed by the precious American audience it craves as a second class sport

Yes, that is a penalty in the rule book!

However, rarely is it called! How can they call it in an important game in OT!

I better never see it LET GO ever again!!!

I remember Toskala being called on that at the beginning of a game once but with no threat around him.

Had Bernier froze the puck just to get a whistle for a change then I get that it's a penalty, however he was one on one as we all saw and was neutralizing a scoring threat.

Either way the Leafs were sluggish and disinterested for most of the first, but then again the tentativeness could have been because they knew where they were and how the game was likely to be called

Sit Gardiner or try him with someone else

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
It was an odd call against Bernier, however, how often do you see a goalie cover the puck that far away from his crease? The answer is never because it's not allowed. Most goalies simply just knock the puck away and skate back to their crease. Oh well, lesson learned. Fun game to watch but both teams were just awful. My god the east looks terrible this year.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
That penalty is called every time, the ones that are not are times when a rebound squirts out and the goalie comes out of his crease and jumps on it which does happen 15 times a game.

You don't see a goalie skating out to the faceoff dot and jumping on it every day. It does suck but it is in the rule books along with that crap putting the puck over the glass one.
...Then make the rule read: When the goalie goes as far as the face off dot there must be said call...As it reads now , freezing the puck outside the crease is a penalty...call it consistently...Refs are like umpires. The most important thing isn't whether they call it tight or loose...it's that they call it "consistently"...I'm talking about referees throughout the league and I'm talking in general i.e. when to call interference on dump-ins, when to call freezing the puck among others.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
...Then make the rule read: When the goalie goes as far as the face off dot there must be said call...As it reads now , freezing the puck outside the crease is a penalty...call it consistently...Refs are like umpires. The most important thing isn't whether they call it tight or loose...it's that they call it "consistently"...I'm talking about referees throughout the league and I'm talking in general i.e. when to call interference on dump-ins, when to call freezing the puck among others.

Technically this is right though the refs seems to call it as when the Goaltender leaves his crease. If the Goalies toes can still touch his crease the refs seem to let it slide.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Rielly actually has a pretty good wrist shot, he just needs to shoot, same with Gardiner instead of curling back against the flow

I know, I feel the same. Rielly and Gardiner aren't shooting nothing. Gardiner will be 4th and Rielly will be the 5th player to shoot the puck from the players on the ice.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
it's a shame that Reimer is unable to handle the pressures associated with being on a team that gets shelled most of the time because it seems like Bernier could use a break. anyhow i hope Bernier plays better next game.

Didn't he just have the Olympic break off? :help: Actually I think that break got the team OUT of their winning groove.

Toque*

The real reason we wont make the playoffs is becaused of the love feast with BurnYay. He cost us another game, yet once again just sweeped under the rug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad