Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in Boston. This is a recording.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Are you new to Marchand or are you just naive?

If Poitras left the game with a major injury as a result of a 1 v 1 battle you can be sure the offending Leaf would have been fed his lunch next shift.

Ok lets put it this way....If the roles were reversed how do you think Vegas, Tampa, Boston, react?

Its not because marchand had been stupid by the past than every thing hes doing on the ice is trying to injure

He tried to lift stick liljegren stick to win his position like everybody doing in a 1v1 battle. Kind of battle you see like 50 time everygame

Yes its suck it was an uncalled tripping penalty for sur and liljegren fall really hard on the board and seriously injured, but at the end it was just a 1v1 battle with a player losing his footing. It was not a dangerous play where you need to protect your teammate, it was just an unfortunate hockey play for liljegren.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I did think about Minten vs Poitras and it does give me Nam flashbacks about all the prospect yo-yo’ing that has occurred under Dubas and Keefe over the past 3-4 years.

Going back to Robertson in the playoffs, Sandin on PP1, Barabanov, Lehtonen experiments this team doesn’t seem to provide a lot of structure when promoting players to roles. Or the Leaf Marlies development they go through doesn’t prepare them for the real game and real roles, with no small confidence building steps that snowball into success.

It's different culture. Your farm and all the prospects know that at any given moment they might get a real chance to step up.

At the same time, when Pasta struggled at 18 they sent him down to Providence. He came back stronger. Boston can always point to Pasta and tell their young prospects to work hard, anyone can be demoted to AHL, and everyone has a different learning and development curve.

Not to mention their AHL team plays the same: "The second effort is mandatory" system, that's why they transition smoothly.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
While Reaves has limited skill he was brought in to be our bouncer and take care of the dirty business and Ive seen enough of him in the past to know thats what he does and is pretty good at. Its becoming very clear that Keefe doesnt like rough and tumble hockey and has told Reaves to stand down. Its not the first time he has done that and Im sure it wont be the last but I wonder what Tre thinks about that. He stated he likes the tough stuff (snot) and he brought in Reaves so Reaves could do his thing only to have his enforcers wings clipped. Doesnt help that pretty much every single player on the leafs has no desire to get involved that way. The bench where Reaves was chirping Marchand after the can opener was telling and has reaffirmed my belief that this team is a collection of individual players and is def not a team. Im craving a team that will go through the wall for each other....this bunch is not it and never will be.
I agree that the possibility that Keefe has "immasculated" Reaves exists, however it doesn't excuse the fact that he's no longer an NHL player who can contribute on the 4th line. He can't keep up with energy 4 liners he's up against and he's a minus 6 with an avg of 7:51 minutes of icetime...he's a liablity out there. If it's true that he isn't allowed to fight, or play to his limited strength, then you've proven my point that he shouldn't be in the lineup.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Marner is that Selke level defender now isn't he? Is that not good enough? Play Brodie at the start if you have to and have him fly off for Rielly if we win the faceoff. The point is Kampf is our worst faceoff man this season so this having him take the draw is useless. If he's having one of those games where he's like 10-1 on the draw then be my guest and use him because he's feeling it that night. Tavares is like 64% in the dot this season compared to Kampfs like 43%. I would like to think a coach couldn't be that dumb but I think those numbers speak for themselves, yet he keeps playing the guy who is 20% worse in the dot to try and get possession for us in OT. He's doing a better job getting the other team possession.
But Kampf is a better skater than Tavares is and better defensively. In terms of strategy it makes more sense to use Kampf and save Matthews and Tavares energy for when they have the puck.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Its not because marchand had been stupid by the past than every thing hes doing on the ice is trying to injure

He tried to lift stick liljegren stick to win his position like everybody doing in a 1v1 battle. Kind of battle you see like 50 time everygame

Yes its suck it was an uncalled tripping penalty for sur and liljegren fall really hard on the board and seriously injured, but at the end it was just a 1v1 battle with a player losing his footing. It was not a dangerous play where you need to protect your teammate, it was just an unfortunate hockey play for liljegren.
You have the opinion it was accidental, that's fine.

Shitheads like Marchand are just that good at their craft that they can make that look accidental. Kucherov is cut from a similar cloth too. They have been pulling this shit for years against the Leafs for years now and never once have they had to pay the price. I seriously question anyone who defends their actions, especially Leafs fans .

But Kampf is a better skater than Tavares is and better defensively. In terms of strategy it makes more sense to use Kampf and save Matthews and Tavares energy for when they have the puck.

Omg I just can't anymore :laugh:

We literally saw in real time how starting a defensive C for 3 on 3 OT is an absolutely horrible decision with no reward to the risk and you still have people defending it.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

It’s 3-on-3 hockey. I don’t think how good one is defensively really matters anymore in that type of situation.

Play your best players. It’s not that hard to grasp unless you’re Keefe.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It’s 3-on-3 hockey. I don’t think how good one is defensively really matters anymore in that type of situation.

Wait wait woah, you're gonna tell me that the opposing team isn't going to treat Kampf with the same respect as they do Matthews (or anyone who knows how to score a goal for that matter)?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

You just don't get it. It doesn't matter if Marchand did it on purpose or if it was "just an unfortunate hockey play", when a guy who's known to be a dirty POS goes into the boards with one of your teammates who gets badly hurt as a result, you do something about immediately, if not sooner.

That's only if you're part of a team of course. If you're just a bunch of individuals, then you don't do anything. Instead, you wait until the game is over and watch the replay from 186 different angles hoping to find one you can point and say see, I'm not a gutless puke, it was an accident.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I also don’t understand what’s wrong with Matthews and why Keefe can’t trust him to win a faceoff anytime, let alone in OT. Something wrong with his wrist or something?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You just don't get it. It doesn't matter if Marchand did it on purpose or if it was "just an unfortunate hockey play", when a guy who's known to be a dirty POS goes into the boards with one of your teammates who gets badly hurt as a result, you do something about immediately, if not sooner.

That's only if you're part of a team of course. If you're just a bunch of individuals, then you don't do anything. Instead, you wait until the game is over and watch the replay from 186 different angles hoping to find one you can point and say see, I'm not a gutless puke, it was an accident.
People act like this is some isolated incident.

Marchand has literally been doing this shit to the Leafs and he's never had to answer for it once. Yet you still have Leafs fans of all people wanting to excuse him because his latest edition of scumbaggery could have possibly been accidental?

I cannot understand this fanbase at all. I don't know if these are just younger fans who haven't been around for that long or if they really are just that naive.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Wait wait woah, you're gonna tell me that the opposing team isn't going to treat Kampf with the same respect as they do Matthews (or anyone who knows how to score a goal for that matter)?

I also don’t understand what’s wrong with Matthews and why Keefe can’t trust him to win a faceoff anytime, let alone in OT. Something wrong with his wrist or something?

Keefe is just trying to show his tactical “genius” I guess. There is no reasonable explanation for having the best goal scorer since he entered the league and highest paid player sitting to start a 3 on 3 OT.

It really doesn’t make any sense but I’m sure opposing teams love it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They do this because Matthews and Marner were getting caved in

Reactions: BertCorbeau

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You have the opinion it was accidental, that's fine.

Shitheads like Marchand are just that good at their craft that they can make that look accidental. Kucherov is cut from a similar cloth too. They have been pulling this shit for years against the Leafs for years now and never once have they had to pay the price. I seriously question anyone who defends their actions, especially Leafs fans .

Omg I just can't anymore :laugh:

We literally saw in real time how starting a defensive C for 3 on 3 OT is an absolutely horrible decision with no reward to the risk and you still have people defending it.
Marchand is the player i hate the most in NHL. But...If you put any name outside of Marchand, everybody would be 100% agree it was just accidental but because its marchand, we should considerate every 1v1 battle of everything hes doing on the ice as an intent to hurt?!?!?!

I know its hard to accept from marchand but this play is not worst because it was marchand who was one that 1v1 battle. This play happen because marchand is working hard on forecheck thats it. Maybe at real time if someone tought it was an intent to injury, it would be okay to have a reaction... but with video replay... sorry leafs had no reason to revenge liljegren and it would just be stupid taking a penalty for an accidental play

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Yeah, the idea of playing to any kind of defensive strategy in a 3-3 overtime seems out of place. It's pure pond hockey. Often, whoever gets the puck first wins. Is David Kampf going to have a significantly better chance of creating a turnover than Austin Matthews? Maybe the numbers show that to be the case, but I'd still rather have the best goal scorer in the league (versus literally one of the worst) on the ice as much as possible.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He always starts Kampf in OT though.
...because of whay i said.

Im fine if they switch it up, but they couldnt win an OT to save their life until he made that switch last year. Matthews and Marner usually lost a faceoff or possession soon after and were puck ragged from there on out

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Getting caved in at 5 on 5 =/= Kampf being a better option for 3 on 3 OT where there's literally no defensive structure at all.

What is it going to take to get you to accept that the coach just makes stupid decisions? This is Mike Babcock all over again and people defended his moronic coaching decisions too.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

People forget that stretch last year where Matthews/Marner were losing OT games on the first shift because they either don't possession or make a risky play that ended up going the other way.

So to counter that Keefe tried Kampf to just get possession and be there defensively if the draw was lost. It worked quite well so I can see why he'd go back to it.

But at the end of the day Matthews' is excellent at defending and his ability to use his stick to take the puck away or knock it down is well beyond Kampf.

I go back to Matthews' starting but get them to cut the cute BS out and attack the net more.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Yeah yeah... every time one of our guys gets injured on a dirty play its just a coincidence or a just a hockey play gone wrong. Give me a f***ing break. I coach a youth soccer team with more grit than these highly paid prima donnas. Those boys stick up for each other and I am proud of them when they do. There is a difference between being tough and dirty, but sometimes a harsh message needs to be sent.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
...because of whay i said.

Im fine if they switch it up, but they couldnt win an OT to save their life until he made that switch last year. Matthews and Marner usually lost a faceoff or possession soon after and were puck ragged from there on out

Unless Kampf wins the draw, there is no tangible difference. We get ragged regardless of who loses the draw/possession.

It’s hilarious we can’t trust our so called Selke winger or two way franchise center to start.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
In what f***ing universe are we living in where we cannot use a center that we just made the highest paid player in the NHL at 3 on 3 OT?

This place is so dumb nowadays I swear to god.

People forget that stretch last year where Matthews/Marner were losing OT games on the first shift because they either don't possession or make a risky play that ended up going the other way.

So to counter that Keefe tried Kampf to just get possession and be there defensively if the draw was lost. It worked quite well so I can see why he'd go back to it.

But at the end of the day Matthews' is excellent at defending and his ability to use his stick to take the puck away or knock it down is well beyond Kampf.

I go back to Matthews' starting but get them to cut the cute BS out and attack the net more.
Bert, you can't see the forest for the trees.

Keefe's lack of coaching ability is why Matthews/Marner did that dumb crap that lost of a bunch of OT's last year. He couldn't properly coach them to do things better in 3 on 3 OT.

He hasn't rectified the error yet, so his solution is to now take Matthews off the ice entirely and put a defensive center in a situation where there's no defensive structure at all.

You really can't see what's going on here?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Unless Kampf wins the draw, there is no tangible difference. We get ragged regardless of who loses the draw/possession.

It’s hilarious we can’t trust our so called Selke winger or two way franchise center to start.
If he loses the draw you have your top PK pair on the ice with a fresh Matthews available next. They do it for that exact reason

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
People act like this is some isolated incident.

Marchand has literally been doing this shit to the Leafs and he's never had to answer for it once. Yet you still have Leafs fans of all people wanting to excuse him because his latest edition of scumbaggery could have possibly been accidental?

I cannot understand this fanbase at all. I don't know if these are just younger fans who haven't been around for that long or if they really are just that naive.
It's not just Marchand, the word is out and every team in the league knows that when you play the Leafs, you can do whatever you want because this team is nothing but a bunch of gutless pukes and therefore, there will never ever be any consequences/pushback.

I know its hard to accept from marchand but this play is not worst because it was marchand who was one that 1v1 battle. This play happen because marchand is working hard on forecheck thats it. Maybe at real time if someone tought it was an intent to injury, it would be okay to have a reaction... but with video replay... sorry leafs had no reason to revenge liljegren and it would just be stupid taking a penalty for an accidental play
You just don't get it. Taking a penalty if that's the cost of sending a message is fine and would help, not hurt our chances of winning a cup. Turning the other cheek maybe, just maybe gets us another irrelevant point or two in the standings after 82 games but is also a big part of why we get dummied year after year after year in the playoffs.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad