Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose in Boston. This is a recording.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Randomly ranting here but it seems to me like it’s overwhelmingly Leafs fans who think it was dirty. Not really seeing much elsewhere where Marchand is getting called out for the play. So, in a nutshell, the players probably saw it that way as well. It’s a bit extreme to think of sending Reaves to go pound on Marchand in a situation like that. It maybe called for Rielly or Gio to do something about it but then they get filled in by Marchand and it’s pretty much pointless. It was a sketchy play but not nearly a classic Marchand slewfoot.
I hear what your saying but the leafs players default is to look down or skate away or go limp or smirk whenever anything happens to any of our guys. Marchand needed a little xtra attention regardless whether you think it was an accident or not. Its not like this is an isolated incident. This is our team and it looks more and more like the lack of fortitude or balls is by design. Love it or hate it.....I hate it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People act like this is some isolated incident.

Marchand has literally been doing this shit to the Leafs and he's never had to answer for it once. Yet you still have Leafs fans of all people wanting to excuse him because his latest edition of scumbaggery could have possibly been accidental?

I cannot understand this fanbase at all. I don't know if these are just younger fans who haven't been around for that long or if they really are just that naive.

I don’t even understand how the athletes who have played for the Leafs over the last 15 years never looked at 5’8” little POS like Marchand didn’t think to themselves all the lifetime free meals they’d get in this town if they tagged him with an open ice hit or spontaneously beat him like Stamkos on Matthews.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Further discussion with you on this subject is obviously pointless. Several people have tried to explain to you what's what and if you still don't understand, then you probably never will. I can only assume you have never played team sports and that's fine.

If liljegren is not injured and step up in his feet after thid impact, do you talk about it? Youre know the answer is no... so you comcern about the injury and not the contact... end of the story

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If liljegren is not injured and step up in his feet after thid impact, do you talk about it? Youre know the answer is no... so you comcern about the injury and not the contact... end of the story
We've gone over this before, it you don't get it that's fine but stop wasting everyone's time by repeating the same nonsense over and over again.

My concern is that after he was injured and was laying helplessly on the ice, there was zero response from the rest of the gutless pukes that wear the Leaf jersey.

Like I said, I can only assume that you've never played team sports and that's why you don't get it.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
We've gone over this before, it you don't get it that's fine but stop wasting everyone's time by repeating the same nonsense over and over again.

My concern is that after he was injured and was laying helplessly on the ice, there was zero response from the rest of the gutless pukes that wear the Leaf jersey.

Like I said, I can only assume that you've never played team sports and that's why you don't get it.

This Leafs team ain't going anywhere because they are not a team...they don't care about each other...each man for himself...for years, I thought these guys were afraid of Chara when playing against the Bruins...now, it's clear they are afraid of their own shadows.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Personally i needed the replay to really know whats happenning ( probably same with you) both ref didn't saw the tripping

But for you, player who saw it at full speed should consider it was a dirty contact and not just a bad luck and taking a penalty on marchand to react to liljegren injury even if they even know whats really happening?

I would be 100% agree with any kind of dirty hit...it was just not the case here. It was not a hit from behind, he was not a charging, boarding, hit to the head or dangerous hit 2 feet of the board...just a 1v1 battle where liljegren felt pretty badly on the board, thats where im not agree

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
We tried it a million times and failed... they change immediately if they get possession in OT, and Matthews has some terrible D zone coverage in only OT.

I don't mind the Kampf/Brodie/Marner thing assuming as soon as we get possession get Rielly and Matthews on.

Matthews always seems to lose his man in OT.

I'd be fine with Tavares, but don't want Matthews starting because he seems to skip coverage too often in OT.
That's what sucks about 3 on 3 when your core isn't the fastest group. Players will always try and cheat to get a breakaway the other way. Looking at our players average max speed on the year and it's kind of surprising to see who our top 4 is. Gregor, Domi, Tavares and Rielly are the only players who average over 22 mph and 3 of them don't see much OT ice time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Personally i needed the replay to really know whats happenning ( probably same with you) both ref didn't saw the tripping

But for you, player who saw it at full speed should consider it was a dirty contact and not just a bad luck and taking a penalty on marchand to react to liljegren injury even if they even know whats really happening?

I would be 100% agree with any kind of dirty hit...it was just not the case here. It was not a hit from behind, he was not a charging, boarding, hit to the head or dangerous hit 2 feet of the board...just a 1v1 battle where liljegren felt pretty badly on the board, thats where im not agree
I'll just copy paste what I said before.

It doesn't matter if Marchand did it on purpose or if it was "just an unfortunate hockey play", when a guy who's known to be a dirty POS goes into the boards with one of your teammates who gets badly hurt as a result, you do something about immediately, if not sooner.

Which part of this are you having trouble with?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There’s that, yes. I don’t think you can do too much to the weasel in that game. Would have liked to see someone finish a big hit or something on him. How many more times do we play them this season?

Beauty game that aside.

You absolutely can

You can just jump him at the time, you don't even need to be tough to sort him out like that

You can also go after McAvoy or Lindholm if you want to send a serious message

Instead they ***** out, do nothing and behave like frightened little boys

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
But Kampf is a better skater than Tavares is and better defensively. In terms of strategy it makes more sense to use Kampf and save Matthews and Tavares energy for when they have the puck.
i understand the rational, but it's a bit of a loser mentality. Coach should believe our best are better than their best and act accordingly.

"we don't want the (soon to be) highest paid player in the league to start a 3 on 3 battle because we can't trust him to win a draw"

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I have stayed back.. but i have to comment on the injury

- marchand
- reaves
- post game reactions

It is pathetic - nothing will change..

How domi or reaves did nothing, it is pathetic

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I have stayed back.. but i have to comment on the injury

- marchand
- reaves
- post game reactions

It is pathetic - nothing will change..

How domi or reaves did nothing, it is pathetic
the whole team did nothing, not a thing, watch when Rielly hit Sergachev in the playoffs last year, the first one in to defend his teammate was Kucherov, and the rest of the lightning players were pissed off, and went after the leafs on the ice, last night the players that were on the ice did nothing

Reactions: andora

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Maybe in playoff with all emotionnal thing coming with but no i dont think thry would react to a teammate who lost his footing in a 1v1 battle...it was not a dangerous hit from behind or to the head, it was just a 1v1 battle who wasn't finish pretty well.

And like i said earlier, i dont even know what its the difference between that play or knies against nashville i think who lost his footing too in a 1v1 battle and hit the board really hard... except than liljegren had been seriously injured and not knies...

So i asking you the same question, why should be worst against liljegren than knies. The gravity of injury dont make the play worst or not, its the same exact play just with a different result

1v1 physical battle marchand lost control of his stick who goes between liljegren leg and make liljegren losing his footing... so yes its 100% a 1v1 battle where a teammate losing his footing. If liljegren is not injured, ABSOLUTLY NOBODY would talk about it... but the result dont make this hockey play worst, sorry

Tampa jumped some dude in the PRE SEASON for a bad hit.

Marchand taking out Lily's feet with a can opener is a clean 1v1 battle? Yikes, I don't even want to think of what you actually think constitutes a dirty play then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad