Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose (again) 4-0 vs. Pittsburgh.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Keeping "the kids" up would have been a bad move IMO. I don't think this is the environment for development, and I certainly don't think we'd be competitive with a couple of kids added to this lineup. Rebuilding does not mean rushing prospects.

On the one hand you're correct but on the other hand the sheer amount of PP minutes that they could have enjoyed plus the fact that Babcock would play the kids to their strengths could be quite beneficial. The tank is not a 100% sure thing either now that the lottery has been revamped. My thinking was that unlike the Detroit prospects that are allowed to overripen and who are picked in the latter rounds, Toronto prospects are picked much higher up. The model is useful but it should be used for the prospects it's relevant for.... Guys like Leivo have been in the minors for quite some time and would be better up playing NHL minutes than freaking Clune. Guys like Nylander shouldn't have to wait the same amount of time in the minors as Leivo have had to due to what they've shown so far and also because of their draft pedigree. At the end of the day, AHL development can only be so useful and nothing beats NHL experience.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
On the one hand you're correct but on the other hand the sheer amount of PP minutes that they could have enjoyed plus the fact that Babcock would play the kids to their strengths could be quite beneficial. The tank is not a 100% sure thing either now that the lottery has been revamped. My thinking was that unlike the Detroit prospects that are allowed to overripen and who are picked in the latter rounds, Toronto prospects are picked much higher up. The model is useful but it should be used for the prospects it's relevant for.... Guys like Leivo have been in the minors for quite some time and would be better up playing NHL minutes than freaking Clune. Guys like Nylander shouldn't have to wait the same amount of time in the minors as Leivo have had to due to what they've shown so far and also because of their draft pedigree. At the end of the day, AHL development can only be so useful and nothing beats NHL experience.

Not only that, I believe Percy has been more than ready. I really think he doesn't need to spend time down there. Should just get rid of Marincin and Polak and call up these Corrado and Percy.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He also had better goaltending than Babcock has had so far. Franson and Santorelli aren't here either, and they contributed to a few wins last year.

Yeah. Carlyle got better goaltending than almost every other team in the league, while Babcock right now has worse goaltending than anyone else. And that's despite actually making their jobs easier with his system.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He also had better goaltending than Babcock has had so far. Franson and Santorelli aren't here either, and they contributed to a few wins last year.

Franson and Santirelli may not be here, but they are replaced by Matt Hunwick and Shawn Matthias, which is pretty much a wash IMO.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Franson and Santirelli may not be here, but they are replaced by Matt Hunwick and Shawn Matthias, which is pretty much a wash IMO.

Santo was significantly better than Matthias has been. Hunwick has been good, but a much different player than Franson.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Franson seemed like a good guy but why would we want him back now? It would just be another case of the Leafs spinning their wheels in quicksand. Just keep moving on

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Franson seemed like a good guy but why would we want him back now? It would just be another case of the Leafs spinning their wheels in quicksand. Just keep moving on

I don't want Franson back at all. I was just pointing out how this team is weaker than the ones Carlyle had to work with.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Santorelli put up 29 points in 57 games as a Leaf, which is on pace for about 40 points. He played very little on either PP or PK.

And Matthias is on pace for under 20 points. Like I said, Santo was much better.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
****ing right yeah? I want us to benefit from this crappy compensation system as much as we've suffered for it. Someone sign Carlyle before they amend the rule.

We gave up two 3rds to hire an active coach and active team president, which I think is totally fair. The teams that are suffering are the ones giving up picks to hire fired staff.

Tyler Biggs*

Gotta say that I'm happier with this years team than any for quite a while. They're sticking to their plans for the future and in a few years we will have a good overall team. On the right track. Awesome coach!

YOYOTCROSTER*

No chance to win when you give up a stinker in the 1st in an even steven game. Team loses momentum and it is over before it starts. And then a softie to cap it off. Also no scoring capability up front. It adds up to the 1st overall pick and Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad