Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose. 6-4

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Well, I think Bettmanomics turns fan-player relationships into a bit of a zero sum game, so it’s a easy to scapegoat a player who cost your team some depth and help here or there when your ticket prices could actually support paying Matthews twice as much…

That said Matthews is still young and hasn’t put together the heart and soul legacy yet.

It’s very true. The salary cap has skewed our view of players.

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
How didn't we get the 1st OV pick that year?? We got Naz at 7 in 09, correct? That's shocking.
Yup.

I wanted Brayden Schenn and after that, MPS or Cowen. Was livid after the Kadri pick.

Not my finest scouting moment.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How didn't we get the 1st OV pick that year?? We got Naz at 7 in 09, correct? That's shocking.

I think Boyd Devereaux got a game 82 hat trick and dropped Toronto to 7th in the draft. Otherwise would have been a top 5 pick (forget the lottery implications).

The other missed opportunity was not doing the Kadri pick and Schenn for the Victor Hedman pick. Burkie wanted Tavares.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
IMO, Salming and Sundin will always be remembered more fondly than Matthews in my eyes. Matthews doesn’t have a particularly likeable personality, again IMO. I am too young to have watched Salming, but from what I have seen of him when he was around always seemed like a likeable person. And I can’t talk enough about how much I liked Sundin. Matthews is just not the same. I guess it has nothing to do with him being the greatest or not, but I just would never view him the same as those guys. I don't care how many goals he scores.
For me it was Gilmour who I can really remember putting me over the top as a Leaf fan.

I remember the late stages of Salming and loved when Clark joined the Leafs, but that 93 run was when I became a lifer by choice, not just because my dad was watching the games

Reactions: CelticDruid

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I guess whoever posted that didn't see what happened. Near the end of a 52 second shift (not 'mid shift') he knocked down a high pass (?) which negated an icing, but would have resulted in a faceoff in our end if he touched it again. Instead he chased the D back and went for a line change.

I'm not sure it was his fault that the two Leafs defencemen gave up a breakaway.

Skate hard to and from the bench. It’s a simple habit that leads to winning. Just another example of why this team didn’t win when we should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad