Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-3; team defense lets down AGAIN

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Just have to put things into perspective.
We have played really bad team hockey most of the season.
Anderson has played really bad for alot of the season.
After all that we're 8-6 and currently sit in a playoff spot.
Things could be ALOT worse even tho I agree I'm seeing things I dont like.
14 games is an extremely small sample size.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I'd like to see Marner play with a legit top tier C. I feel like he has gotten the short end of that stick as compared to Willy.
I would like to see them ease Willy in at C on a line with Marleau, so they can split the duties and bump Marner up with Matthews to give that combo a legitimate try. If it doesn't work switch back, but I think you at least have to give Matthews and Marner a few games together at some point to at least see if there is chemistry.

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
there people go blaming the D core again, they only gave up 28 shots that isn't an unreasonable amount how about the guys paid to make saves, actually make a few, how bout that? Andersen looks to be getting on track but Mctrash is still mctrash

I don't know how you could watch that game and think our defense shouldn't get blame.

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
I would like to see them ease Willy in at C on a line with Marleau, so they can split the duties and bump Marner up with Matthews to give that combo a legitimate try. If it doesn't work switch back, but I think you at least have to give Matthews and Marner a few games together at some point to at least see if there is chemistry.

Why do you have to do that?

Doshy

Oct 7, 2007
I'm not too worried. Yeah, the first period was a tire fire but the way they (almost) came back in the game and played after the fist period was pretty good aside from the dumb penalties Polak and Borgman took. If they play that way all the time they'll be fine.

They're hurting themselves. They're not getting dominated. They're literally giving other teams freebies on most nights. Gotta clean that up and they're fine. We had a TON of good chances on Quick. It's a 180 from the SJ game.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I have to say, I have watched them some, enough to say their D play is just down right bad. The gaffs that Zaitsev has made are just bad. People talk about their 5 and 6 d-men but let's be honest here, they have all played bad and that is just unacceptable.

The other thing is this new site just bogs down web browsers-frustrating.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have to say, I have watched them some, enough to say their D play is just down right bad. The gaffs that Zaitsev has made are just bad. People talk about their 5 and 6 d-men but let's be honest here, they have all played bad and that is just unacceptable.

The other thing is this new site just bogs down web browsers-frustrating.
I switched to Firefox just for this site, works much better.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Mathews has the skill set that he can play with anyone. I' like to see marner and nylander together. See if marner can get nylanders goal scoring up. I'e liked marleau at center. Looks like a significant upgrade to bozak.

Bozak needs to go imo he just looks lost out there and jvr looks lazy. His defensive game has gotten worse every year. And won' backcheck. Trade them both now before their lazy behaviour rubs off on the rest.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
how did Kapanen look?....for anyone that stayed up
I liked him quite a bit. He was very competitive in our zone and showed lots of hustle in both ends. He had his moments where he threatened offensively as well. His speed is honestly incredible. I'm curious to see what he'd look like in a scoring role with us.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Why do you have to do that?

Did I not explain in my post why I would do that?
Why wouldn't they try it? Are we winning a boatload of games right now? It is fine and dandy if the Matthews line is playing well, but you need more than one line firing on all cylinders. There is a good possibility that Willy centering his own line driving play on it could ignite a 2nd line, and Marner could be just as adequate a partner for Matthews on his line as Willy is.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did I not explain in my post why I would do that?
Why wouldn't they try it? Are we winning a boatload of games right now? It is fine and dandy if the Matthews line is playing well, but you need more than one line firing on all cylinders. There is a good possibility that Willy centering his own line driving play on it could ignite a 2nd line, and Marner could be just as adequate a partner for Matthews on his line as Willy is.
This makes the most sense to me.
Hyman Matthews Marner
Marleau Nylander Brown

Reactions: AppsSyl

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I agree with AppsSyl. Have you guys seen our teams stats with Matthews and Willy on the ice and without? We’re like two different teams. We need more than one line going

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Mathews has the skill set that he can play with anyone. I' like to see marner and nylander together. See if marner can get nylanders goal scoring up. I'e liked marleau at center. Looks like a significant upgrade to bozak.

Bozak needs to go imo he just looks lost out there and jvr looks lazy. His defensive game has gotten worse every year. And won' backcheck. Trade them both now before their lazy behaviour rubs off on the rest.

It hurts to say this but AM is an effing treat to watch, he is so good he can set himself up.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
This makes the most sense to me.
Hyman Matthews Marner
Marleau Nylander Brown

I like those lines. Kapanen is a guy who could look good on the right wing of the Nylander line with Marleau as well.

rmyk

Jun 6, 2015
Colorado
I was really looking forward to finally getting to see a good Leafs team visiting Cali being such a die hard Leafs fan myself. Must say I was a bit disappointed. They are a young team and can play so much better though. May be Babcock can play a safer system to limit turnovers as that is killing the team most nights.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I agree with AppsSyl. Have you guys seen our teams stats with Matthews and Willy on the ice and without? We’re like two different teams. We need more than one line going

Yes we need more than one line going but I am not going to feel bad for ourselves because we have a generational talent like Matthews.

Kadri line is good too, don't know why people think his line has been bad. On most nights they are even or better going against tough match ups. Matthews line just kills any competition they face though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'd go with
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kapanen - Kadri - Marner
Jvr - Marleau - Brown
Komarov - Bozak - Leivo
Or something. And Carrick in for Polak

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I was really looking forward to finally getting to see a good Leafs team visiting Cali being such a die hard Leafs fan myself. Must say I was a bit disappointed. They are a young team and can play so much better though. May be Babcock can play a safer system to limit turnovers as that is killing the team most nights.

It's been a rough start.
Either we've played terrible defensively, had our goalie play like trash or not even show up.
The way this team is structured (speed and depth), they need to have everyone skating and working hard. When that happens we swarm the puck in all 3 zones, can turn the puck the other way and create offense. When we dont move our feet we become a team thats pretty soft and will lose more battles for the puck than win. The good thing is its only 14 games into the season and the lineup hasnt even been set in stone and many players that can play much better (Anderson and Gardiner the main two). Still believe this is a good team but theres definitely teams out there that can cause us matchup problems especially if we dont skate and work.

Reactions: rmyk

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You got it only one answer. Needs a line and to be a C. Give him more ice.

Bozak with his 4.2M is hogging the center position.

Wouldn't mind

JVR-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Nylander-Kappy
Komarov-Kadri-Leivo
Hyman-Bozak-Marner

Martin can chill!

but of course will never happen - becasue Babcock!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad