Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The ones where the attacking player tips it to where the goalie already is.

All deflections are created equally don't you know.
Few really good examples of a goalie making strong reactionary saves from a good position last night.

That save on the Tavares tip is a good reaction where Markstroms racing to the post and not overplaying. There's a few other tips where he's setup strong to the puck to make a tip save.

Fred being off his angle leaves some gaping holes and makes for more difficult reactions

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Go ahead, let's name them. Which difficult saves did Andy make last night?

Here's the best ones I saw, a Monohan save in the first. Can't recall another truthfully and that Monohan chance is a telegraphed pass he has to settle and shoots into Fred's chest.

Want to do the same with Markstrom, who we both agree was off?
First period: Tavares tip, Matthews tip, Marner slot chance (imagine the breakdown to turn the puck over to Matthews and Marner directly between the hashmarks). Do we count the rebound here? Nah, let's stick with just 1 chance there.

So we're a period in with 2 tips (these are unstoppable right?) And a point blank shot chance better than anything CGY got. We haven't talked about the Simmonds tip or Matthews onetimer in the third or the defensive breakdowns we simply didn't convert on.

You know what we haven't even talked about either? The fact Fred's best clean 3 more times this game where they didn't convert. Literally any chance they got, and some thar weren't chances, ended up with Fred looking behind him. While we allowed 18 shots and dominated by every statistical measure

Yes to all of this.

Reactions: Auston 316

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
why are other goalies able to position themselves properly and take most of the net away, but not Andersen?

I think the difference is that other goalies are more athletic and use skill along with positioning, Freddy seems to just rely on positioning and his size to make saves

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Fred's terrible positionally? Constantly off his angle and too deep in the net and over the last year or two he's really started to fall behind on his puck tracking

yea, i posted a little while ago he seems to be struggling anticipating and reading the play in one of these threads

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Markstorm didn't even have a good night or anything. Our guy was even worse.

That’s the worst part about last night. All Andersen had to do was be better than “bad” and he couldn’t even accomplish that. Markstrom let in two poor goals and when the Flames re-took the lead he stood tall and made the big saves.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
AM has that shot again and he scores 8 out of 10 times, Markstrom was just lucky, he caught the puck with his back arm. Anyone that says that was a controlled, purposeful save, they are full of poo.

Andy made a number of difficult saves last night too. Fact is the Flames played better in front of Markstrom than the Leafs did in front of Freddy and both teams played poorly TBH. Just because it popular to hate on Freddy right now does not mean he is ALWAYS the problem, which is the standard Leafs go to move, pick out the sacrificial lamb and beat on it till its mush. it's pitiful how athletes are treated in Toronto. The Leafs clean up their defensive zone coverage and we win 3-1. easily.

This is such bullshit

If the flames played better in front of their goalie, why did the Leafs have 10 more shots, almost double the shot attempts, 85% of the high danger chances and dominate possession?

He faced 18 shots and let in 4 goals. That is garbage. He is not a good goalie and his supporters have resorted to delusion in order to defend him. It’s just sad.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I know freddy is the talk right now but we have issues with the way this team gives up the puck. Check for your self. It’s not pretty and Morgan Rielly is a scourge at it. We have more players with 20 or more on the season than all of the North division. Just f**** sayin.
Check for yourself https://morehockeystats.com/teams/givetake

I'd rather see Reilly go first than Andersen, Andersen isnt to blame for all those goals Reilly, well Jesus I mean after watching Reilly attempt his 1st slap shot since WHL and striking out late in the 3rd, could you not hear the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme? and when they dropped it back to him at the blueline with the extra attacker, Calgary barely had anyone on him like " we know you cant shoot, so just pass it off like we know its coming"

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
So did Andy but mob mentality dictates that you put away honest assessments and just sharpen your pitchforks. I hope he signs with another team in the off season and has a monster year next year.

The guy posted a .936 save % last playoffs and that still wasn't enough for most of the posters around here rofl

Its clear that many leaf fans are just to emotional and are incapable of separating their feelings from facts. Its a shame.

But hey blaming the goalie is the easy way out so its no surprise these posters are chosing this route.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
What’s the plan for next year regarding goaltending? Extend Freddie? Go with Campbell? Sign/trade for another goalie? Still seems like Freddie is the best option considering not many goalie trades happen and FA goalie market this year is nothing special....so what’s the plan?!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Why are we blaming the coach? The coach has 2 goalies...his number 1 goalie is playing like crap. His number 2 goalie has been injured. Please no one bring up Hutchinson!
This weekend is a back to back so both goalies have to play.
Keefe has to let Andersen play...he's supposed to be our number 1...either shake it off or move over. When Andersen loses his job and Campbell takes over no one will question the coach.
If Campbell is not good enough then the spotlight goes to Dubas.

Fred should have been pulled last night

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fred's terrible positionally? Constantly off his angle and too deep in the net and over the last year or two he's really started to fall behind on his puck tracking
Maybe he needs glasses? Worked for the GM.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Fred should have been pulled last night

I'd say there was a good argument for that. My guess is that Keefe didn't want to go to Campbell with him just returning from injury and because he was going to be getting the start tonight.

Reactions: ACC1224

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'd say there was a good argument for that. My guess is that Keefe didn't want to go to Campbell with him just returning from injury and because he was going to be getting the start tonight.
try your best to save the game infront of you,,when it was very very doable

worry about Sat night on Saturday,,

,hell,,, could have put Fred in Sat night since he would have only played 8 minutes

Reactions: Buds17 and egd27

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I thought Holl has been playing with more of an edge the last few games which is good to see.
He’s going to have to pay for that hit on Johnny hockey, Lucic will be looking for revenge if not tonight going forward, say what you want about the decline of Lucic’s game, he’s still a scary guy to go up against in a fight, I wouldn’t want to be in Holl’s skates anytime soon.........

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
try your best to save the game infront of you,,when it was very very doable

worry about Sat night on Saturday,,

,hell,,, could have put Fred in Sat night since he would have only played 8 minutes

Your viewpoint is why I mentioned there was a good argument. I can agree with that. Keefe arguably even did that after pulling Hutchinson early in the previous game against Ottawa. I just think Campbell not having played for that stretch of time due to the injury could have been the difference between the two games.

Reactions: Gallagbi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad