Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So change the goalie if that makes everyone feel better.
Something new to blame.
Blame the coach, we changed it.
The assistant coaches, done.
Lou for Dubas, changed.
Defense. Changed that too.
Bottom 6 people didn’t like. Changed. Out goes Kapanen,Kadri,Johnsson,etc.
Then people didn’t like Vesey. He’s out.
The refs, sorry can’t help there.

Not everything is going to be perfect on the way to the Cup. At some point the core of Matthews/Marner/JT/Nylander/Rielly and maybe even now Brodie are going to have to compensate for shortcomings due to cap, or the fact that every position can’t be superstars. The sum of the parts above are going to have to prove as well that they can rise over skids, slumps, bumps, etc and stop a slide, win a series, win the 7th game etc.

So again if the problem is all goalie change it. Change it or I have to question the GM for not seeing the same things people are. Then there should be no reason the core can’t get it done.
Accountability, what a novel idea..........

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s going to have to pay for that hit on Johnny hockey, Lucic will be looking for revenge if not tonight going forward, say what you want about the decline of Lucic’s game, he’s still a scary guy to go up against in a fight, I wouldn’t want to be in Holl’s skates anytime soon.........

I doubt Lucic does anything to him

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
What’s the plan for next year regarding goaltending? Extend Freddie? Go with Campbell? Sign/trade for another goalie? Still seems like Freddie is the best option considering not many goalie trades happen and FA goalie market this year is nothing special....so what’s the plan?!
Sign a proven tandem goalie in the 3-3.5 range and give said goalie and Campbell a season to prove if either can run with it. Use the savings to pay Hyman.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
AM has that shot again and he scores 8 out of 10 times, Markstrom was just lucky, he caught the puck with his back arm. Anyone that says that was a controlled, purposeful save, they are full of poo.

Andy made a number of difficult saves last night too. Fact is the Flames played better in front of Markstrom than the Leafs did in front of Freddy and both teams played poorly TBH. Just because it popular to hate on Freddy right now does not mean he is ALWAYS the problem, which is the standard Leafs go to move, pick out the sacrificial lamb and beat on it till its mush. it's pitiful how athletes are treated in Toronto. The Leafs clean up their defensive zone coverage and we win 3-1. easily.

He let in 4 goals on the first 14, shots against last night. Even the eye test showed that it's not like he was facing the hardest or most dangerous chances against during those 14.

Again, if every goalie let in every difficult chance against there would be 25 goals scored every NHL game. But normally that doesnt happen beacuse goalies are capable of making most of those saves.

I think the idea that only a Vezina caliber goalie could have prevented a goal against every 3.5 shots to not be very believable

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
zero chance of Lucic going after Holl, Lucic is very selective on who he fights and wont destroy a non fighter type like Holl

Tchachuk dealt with it last night. Lucic, from my perspective, is a bit of a throw back player. Not the offensive guy he used to be in Boston but not a mindless zombie either.

He picks his spots and doesn't look to hurt guys even during fights (once it's clearly over). I'd be very surprised if he went after Holl or anyone on the Leafs team barring something really dirty.

Reactions: Mr Hockey

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He’s going to have to pay for that hit on Johnny hockey, Lucic will be looking for revenge if not tonight going forward, say what you want about the decline of Lucic’s game, he’s still a scary guy to go up against in a fight, I wouldn’t want to be in Holl’s skates anytime soon.........
It was addressed last night, it’s history

Reactions: Menzinger

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He let in 4 goals on the first 14, shots against last night. Even the eye test showed that it's not like he was facing the hardest or most dangerous chances against during those 14.

Again, if every goalie let in every difficult chance against there would be 25 goals scored every NHL game. But normally that doesnt happen beacuse goalies are capable of making most of those saves.

I think the idea that only a Vezina caliber goalie could have prevented a goal against every 3.5 shots to not be very believable

The first one went off Dermott, not a dangerous shot? Right.
The second one, Anderson took the shooter which is what goalies are taught to do, the puck went cross crease into the slot to an open Flame for a one timer. The skaters are responsible to not allow easy looks like that, blown defensive positioning. Not a dangerous shot? Right.
The 3rd goal - he should have had.
The fourth goal - through a screen. Not a dangerous shot. Right.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The guy posted a .936 save % last playoffs and that still wasn't enough for most of the posters around here rofl

Its clear that many leaf fans are just to emotional and are incapable of separating their feelings from facts. Its a shame.

But hey blaming the goalie is the easy way out so its no surprise these posters are chosing this route.

Blaming the goalie is 75% of the time an uneducated person making a comment thinking they know something. Andy usually lets in one stinker a game, the last few games, but to blame him for not stopping tips or seeing pucks through screens is idiocy. There is a reason why players try to tip pucks, it's highly effective. There is a reason why you put a guy the size of a barn in front of the goalie. It works. There is a reason why you set up one timers. They work. There is a reason why you try to keep shots to the outside. It works. Hockey is not a hard game to understand.

Reactions: Garthinater

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Go ahead, let's name them. Which difficult saves did Andy make last night?

Here's the best ones I saw, a Monohan save in the first. Can't recall another truthfully and that Monohan chance is a telegraphed pass he has to settle and shoots into Fred's chest.

Want to do the same with Markstrom, who we both agree was off?
First period: Tavares tip, Matthews tip, Marner slot chance (imagine the breakdown to turn the puck over to Matthews and Marner directly between the hashmarks). Do we count the rebound here? Nah, let's stick with just 1 chance there.

So we're a period in with 2 tips (these are unstoppable right?) And a point blank shot chance better than anything CGY got. We haven't talked about the Simmonds tip or Matthews onetimer in the third or the defensive breakdowns we simply didn't convert on.

You know what we haven't even talked about either? The fact Fred's best clean 3 more times this game where they didn't convert. Literally any chance they got, and some thar weren't chances, ended up with Fred looking behind him. While we allowed 18 shots and dominated by every statistical measure

Dominated by every stasticial measure? Why deceive to make a point, my experience its because you don't have a point to be made. What you posted is simply not true.

Blocked shots: Calgary 29 Toronto 7
Hits: Calgary 33 Toronto 31
FO% : Calgary 49% Toronto 51%
Giveaways: Calgary 17 Toronto 15

Calgary Flames - Toronto Maple Leafs - March 19th, 2021

Yep pure domination in those key stats. FFS

This team is built to outscore the other team, why don't we put the goat horns on the shooters, lots of glorious chances. Choke job? Perhaps.

Reactions: Garthinater

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Dominated by every stasticial measure? Why deceive to make a point, my experience its because you don't have a point to be made. What you posted is simply not true.

This team is built to outscore the other team, why don't we put the goat horns on the shooters, lots of glorious chances. Choke job? Perhaps.
You get that blocked shots and hits are an indication of how heavily Toronto carried the play right? The fact the giveaways were that close given the slants in puck possession is also telling.

Noticed you didn't name those big Andersen saves, maybe you missed that on the opening line.

Probably best not to claim deception when you purposely avoided the key point of the post to nitpick faceoff% as a key indicators for success last night.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012

Lmao obviously Calgary is gonna have more blocks Torontos shot attempts were way more. We definitely dominated the game, Andersen got outplayed. That being said some of the goals were tough and through traffic but the other goalie had tough shots too. We completely dominated the 3rd and slightly dominated periods 1 and 2.

Faceoff and Hits have nothing to do with who dominated the game. Giveaways isnt super indicative of possesion or offensive zone time either. We were in their zone way more then they were in ours.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yikes dude. :huh:

Reactions: leafsfan5

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The first one went off Dermott, not a dangerous shot? Right.
The second one, Anderson took the shooter which is what goalies are taught to do, the puck went cross crease into the slot to an open Flame for a one timer. The skaters are responsible to not allow easy looks like that, blown defensive positioning. Not a dangerous shot? Right.
The 3rd goal - he should have had.
The fourth goal - through a screen. Not a dangerous shot. Right.

There's a difference though between dangerous/difficult and impossible to stop.

Starters need to make hard saves sometimes.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Edmonton would kill to have Andersen over their goalies.

EDM has emerged as the top candidate for moving Andersen if they find a place to dump Koskinen. Unfortunately Koskinen has a 15 team no trade clause so I doubt there is a team that is not on there that would take on Koskinen.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You get that blocked shots and hits are an indication of how heavily Toronto carried the play right? The fact the giveaways were that close given the slants in puck possession is also telling.

Noticed you didn't name those big Andersen saves, maybe you missed that on the opening line.

Probably best not to claim deception when you purposely avoided the key point of the post to nitpick faceoff% as a key indicators for success last night.

But ... but ... but you said and I quote:

While we allowed 18 shots and dominated by every statistical measure
EVERY not some or most but EVERY statistical measure, that statement kind of backs you into that "This guy is more hyperbolic than honest" corner.

Admit what you said was a lie and I will quote you at least 3 difficult saves by Andy. I got the times of game and video loaded ready to post. Admit your dishonesty and we can move on your next false statement.

Considering two goals were scored off lost face offs, probably makes that an important stat, don't you think? It's like you never watched the game? You did watch the game didn't you?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
EDM has emerged as the top candidate for moving Andersen if they find a place to dump Koskinen. Unfortunately Koskinen has a 15 team no trade clause so I doubt there is a team that is not on there that would take on Koskinen.

Dubas wont make that kind of trade with the Oilers, maybe a minor deal, we may play them in the playoffs :laugh:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
But ... but ... but you said and I quote:

EVERY not some or most but EVERY statistical measure, that statement kind of backs you into that "This guy is more hyperbolic than honest" corner.

Admit what you said was a lie and I will quote you at least 3 difficult saves by Andy. I got the times of game and video loaded ready to post. Admit your dishonesty and we can move on your next false statement.

Considering two goals were scored off lost face offs, probably makes that an important stat, don't you think? It's like you never watched the game? You did watch the game didn't you?
What I said was definitely hyperbole, we didn't dominate in shot blocks. Apologies for thinking that generating more
- High danger chances
- Scoring chances
- shots
- shot attempts/possession
(Statically) was the point I was making and understood.

Now I'm looking forward to these 3+ stellar saves Fred made. Let's have them, not sure why you've held out for so long.

Edit* I should probably add xGF, CF% too, but I don't have those off hand

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad