Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-3

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Before anyone blames Hutch for the L, he has played very well so far this season. He is allowed a bad game since he hasn’t played in a while and the team as a whole were not helping him out and even Freddie with the sub par D. They left the goalies out to dry tonight. I don’t even blame Andersen
Seriously? That's a load of BS. I'm glad you aren't the coach.

These are professional hockey players getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. If you can't be ready for a game, then you shouldn't be playing, or go play beer league hockey.

Did you see that 2nd goal? My 95-year old Nonna could have stopped that.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When the refs took over the game and somehow disallowed a goal for goalie interference where nobody touched the goalie, I knew we'd bring it to within one but lose.

Getting really tired of having to beat multiple teams in the same game.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Remember when Alex Kerfoot was someone we were all looking forward to watching? That feels like ages ago. Unless he’s playing with Tavares-Nylander, I’m having trouble finding a spot in this lineup where Kerfoot makes sense. He’s a shifty little puck handler, but it hasn’t been enough to drive Toronto’s third line alongside Mikheyev-Engvall.
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021...-the-break-with-lacklustre-showing-in-ottawa/

At 3.5 he has to go

I want to see him and Hyman on the 3rd line at the same time. Our 22 and 18 million dollar combos should be able to make something work with someone out of Soup/Engvall/Thornton/Vesey/Barabanov.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I want to see him and Hyman on the 3rd line at the same time. Our 22 and 18 million dollar combos should be able to make something work with someone out of Soup/Engvall/Thornton/Vesey/Barabanov.

Maybe Simmonds goes up there.

Engvall down to the 4th line with Spezza and Vesey again. Kerfoot with Mikheyev and Hyman.

Then just double shift Kerfoot/Hyman when Thornton needs a break.

Reactions: 4thline

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
When the refs took over the game and somehow disallowed a goal for goalie interference where nobody touched the goalie, I knew we'd bring it to within one but lose.

Getting really tired of having to beat multiple teams in the same game.

Lol you can't push a defense man into the net who ends up blocking his own goalie. That was clearly no goal.

Reactions: Ciao and Cypruss

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Man, I hate this team.

Just be good, you have the talent. Don't play like idiots, get decent goaltending and win against brutal teams like Ottawa.
Odd how Ottawa manages to beat the Leafs despite not being a great team. Things just work in strange ways sometimes.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Until they change the goalie, this team is still a pretender. And given the way they played last night, are probably still pretenders even after that. Everybody was garbage except Hyman and Nylander

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
2 games in a row where other team was slightly better squad ... also 2 games in a row we should have got 1 point minimum in each with solid tending ...

against Jets 3rd goal with an athletic golaer like Soupy it gets saved most of time but with freddy no chance his hand eye just not good enough and positioning alone does not make that save ... and then of course BS reffing which likely does not get called in a tie 2-2 game ... both calls were complete dog sh*t calls made by house league refs ... not only should those guys be reported they should lose their pay for those calls ... hockey is a contact game and slight contact and exaggerated falling over only gets called by house leaguers ...

last night what can you say the 1st and 4th goals were house league level tending where original weak shots should have been easy saves with no rebounds ... 2nd one was a slight bit better play but keep your stick on ice and it gets saved ... bottom line it was a 1-1 tie game and maybe we win with late push as team was tired

But likely we could have got 3 points with solid tending even though we were slightly outplayed in both games as I think with our offense we get at least 1 of games won in OT ...

Anywho i am not really worried because when Soupy comes back we should be fine in net ...

my real worry is Jumbo wow as games have picked up in pace quite frankly he is like an anchor on either line ... i love Jumbo but common man you have to keep up to play ... he is bringing down both of top 2 lines as they play shorthanded when he is on ice .. it is kinda like Bracco situation where you have to be able to skate at NHL level up/down ice ... yes he is ok when someone else gets puck and gives it to him in offensive end but we need a lot more than that folks ... we need another big strong forechecking winger who can be strong on wall and in front of net ....

with a new guy, Zack and Wayner we should be ok in playoffs with 3 guys who play playoff hockey ... right now outside of Zach team is playing too much on perimeter and teams are keeping our speed to outside

Reactions: LeafsRus

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lol you can't push a defense man into the net who ends up blocking his own goalie. That was clearly no goal.

That whole play was a train wreck, but the main goalie interference was called because Engvall not only threw a player into the net that didn't have the puck, but he stood in the blue paint thereafter preventing the Sens goalie Joey Daccord from having a chance to make a save and move across his crease unobstructed.

Had Engvall backed out of the crease after the dwarf tossing indecent :wg:, the goal likely would have been allowed, as they would have ruled Engvall is allowed to go hard to the net.

As it stood though, there was no way that play was going to be allowed to stand, and by Leafs own reaction they knew and objected very little to the call being turned over. Matthews smirked and objected a little but that was the extent of that.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
it's a 1 hour flight. It's not like they were going to the west coast. Excuses.

Factoring in the rigamarole with flying, it's a lot more than that. And I've been saying for years that flying seems to tire you out more than can be explained by time alone.

Sounds like the players weren't happy with the decision to travel the same day of the game. Does seem very unusual.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Until they change the goalie, this team is still a pretender. And given the way they played last night, are probably still pretenders even after that. Everybody was garbage except Hyman and Nylander

Yeah I didn't watch last night but I just watched the extended highlights. Andersen was great, as far as I can tell. Nobody saves that first one on the PP and the 2nd one was a bit flukey and right in the top corner. He stopped 26 of 28, which is .929. If he keeps that up everything will be fine.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
I think the Leafs desperately need this week's rest. Seems all the injuries are catching up to them now. Add to this other teams are adapting.

Reactions: Ciao

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is what bothers me.
At the end of last season Shanahan with Dubas said this team needs to adopt a championship mentality. Starting in the regular season, nit the playoffs.

So you already had a Nylander benching earlier this season, Marner going through stints where he’d rather chew his mouthguard, Tavares in coma mode and Rielly lost at times.

It’s 56 games. 56 not 82. That’s even less acceptable. In a never going get a better division than this one. No Boston, no Tampa.

Bottom 6 players change for many championship teams when the core is strong.

What’s going to happen is a Sutter renaissance Calgary is going to take you by surprise come playoff time while the core is trying to smell their greatness.

They need to get it together and have a focused return of getting into the habit of doing all the things right every night leading to the playoffs.

I don't disagree. I just want to add that much of this falls on Shanny. He is going to live or die on a decision to have a rookie GM and a rookie Head Coach run this team. It will all come to a head in the playoffs this year. I like TOR, but I don't really like our coach vs the competition. I hope Keefe proves me wrong though. Last year vs CBJ didn't do much to inspire confidence though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad