Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-3

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The goalie, specifically his blocker, hit Engvall before the puck was in the crease. Correct call.
That's not true. His blocker does not hit Engvall before the puck is in, if at all. Engvall did not do anything, and his presence did not prevent the save, and thus, it was not goaltender interference. Incorrect call.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I counted four giveaways by Tavares in the last minute or so of the game.

He can win faceoffs, and he can score, but otherwise he is worse than useless.

But of course, some people will blame the refs.

Can we all please report this guy and get him off our boards, salty Isles fan shows up in all of our threads after a loss trying to shit on JT. Dudes not a leafs fan, not in the slightest. Die hard islanders fan still salty Tavares left so he tries to shit on him and the team, followed up by "and i'm a leafs fan" no you're not, you're pathetic stop.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
standings.jpg

Reactions: 10Ducky10

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
My biggest concern is all the unforced turnovers they make as a result of poor decision making. Reilly's attempt to clear the puck when he was under no immediate pressure that was intercepted by Brady Tkachuk and resulted in a goal. They make far too many of those errors in a game.

part of the story, but not the story

The puck was cleared up to Travis Boy, Boyd for whatever reason, hesitated or panicked whichever, but the puck rolled off his stick and Tkachuk pounced on it, took a couple of of strides and threw a wrister at the net, more I think in hopes of Hutchinson freezing the play so the Senators could get off, however Hutch was having a little sleepy time time and the rubber went by him with the velocity of my bantam wrist shot.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Odd how Ottawa manages to beat the Leafs despite not being a great team. Things just work in strange ways sometimes.
Not that strange, it's the NHL and not crazy uncommon for a bad team to beat a good one, just frustrating to see it at this point in this scenario.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's ok to have these stretches as long as they don't turn to 2 wins in 10 or 3 wins in 15 or something. IMO, they have to get back on the winning track after this break.
I said after last game that it needed to be our low point, basically we need to start building for the stretch now. We won't be perfect, but best Winnipeg and build back up a bit divisional lead.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Can Garry Galley be the #1 colour commentator now for Sportsnet, he is so much better than Simpson.
The combo of Cuthbert and Galley last night was great.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I want the hot streak to happen near the end of the season.

I can live with a bit of a slide.

A Presidents Trophy and no playoff wins?

No thanks.

TOR just needs to be their best near the end.

Question: is Toronto at the point where they can play. 500 until the end of the season?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That's not true. His blocker does not hit Engvall before the puck is in, if at all. Engvall did not do anything, and his presence did not prevent the save, and thus, it was not goaltender interference. Incorrect call.
If you want to pretend that it didn't happen, that's fine.

Thank you for playing.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Except Engvall did absolutely nothing to prevent Daccord from physically getting to that puck, which is exactly why it was the incorrect call. Daccord was even able to get to the puck, but it went off his blocker and in the net.

It is even worse when they initially called it a good goal and decided that was "enough" to call it back. It was enough to overturn a 'no-goal' call, so it certainly was not enough to call back what was 100% a good goal.
I'm all for being on the player's side on these goalie interference calls to a degree. If it isn't clear that he restricted the goalie from making a save he could have made, then it's a good goal. If he got in the way he got in the way but if it's questionable you give the player the benefit of the doubt, otherwise you get back to that crap going on a year or so ago, where owners got together over an allstar break to come up with a conclusion to the grey-area problem, only to say that the new rule on it is for the refs to "do what's best in their heart".

I haven't taken that close a look at it, but my initial thought was it's a close call, maybe he got in the way, but I really don't think so. In that case, benefit of the doubt is on the player & the initial call on the ice isn't overturned: good goal.

What's the ruling though on Engvall's position, he very clearly had two feet in the paint.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm all for being on the player's side on these goalie interference calls to a degree. If it isn't clear that he restricted the goalie from making a save he could have made, then it's a good goal. If he got in the way he got in the way but if it's questionable you give the player the benefit of the doubt, otherwise you get back to that crap going on a year or so ago, where owners got together over an allstar break to come up with a conclusion to the grey-area problem, only to say that the new rule on it is for the refs to "do what's best in their heart".

I haven't taken that close a look at it, but my initial thought was it's a close call, maybe he got in the way, but I really don't think so. In that case, benefit of the doubt is on the player & the initial call on the ice isn't overturned: good goal.

What's the ruling though on Engvall's position, he very clearly had two feet in the paint.

You can be in the paint as a player. The only consideration is whether he made contact with the goalie and prevented him from making the save, which absolutely did not happen. They can't even make the argument about saying that if he extended all the way (which he already did) he would have hit Engvall, because he would have to actually hit Engvall for it to matter.

All in all, it was another botched call by the refs and in this case, it was enough to cost us at least one point. Who cares about whether we deserved it or not (and based on the second half, we did), the refs took it away from us.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
You can be in the paint as a player. The only consideration is whether he made contact with the goalie and prevented him from making the save, which absolutely did not happen. They can't even make the argument about saying that if he extended all the way (which he already did) he would have hit Engvall, because he would have to actually hit Engvall for it to matter.

All in all, it was another botched call by the refs and in this case, it was enough to cost us at least one point. Who cares about whether we deserved it or not (and based on the second half, we did), the refs took it away from us.
I actually think he made some contact (he and or sens player) but an insignificant amount, don't think he stops him from making a save or took away space which the goalie would have realistically taken as you mentioned with the goalie's already extended body.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I'm still shocked Robertson didnt get to play last night to rest Thornton or Spezza. It would have been a great chance to get a look at him.

I also excepted Bogosian to get the odd not night off for Liljegren to play a few. I'm not sure if he'd have to clear waivers though to return to the Marlies or not.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
looked to me that the puck went in before any contact? thought the refs got it wrong...

the commentators were saying that the puck touched his glove before it went in so they called goalie interference because he ws not able to get across with engvall occupying the blue paint

Reactions: rubous

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm still shocked Robertson didnt get to play last night to rest Thornton or Spezza. It would have been a great chance to get a look at him.

I also excepted Bogosian to get the odd not night off for Liljegren to play a few. I'm not sure if he'd have to clear waivers though to return to the Marlies or not.

Keefe apparently can't do anything with the Taxi Squad so I expect he's just going to run our main guys into the ground. Hope they'll have stamina for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad