Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think you missed the point of my post. I was not drawing a comparable. I actually was specifically saying you can’t. That said, no player had a greater impact than Vasi during those runs. I stand by that.
And I disagree with your final point.

Vasilevsky was not as impactful as leaf fans here are pretending.

He was not more impactful then Rask in 2013+2019

Price in 2021

Bob last year

Quick in 2012 and 2014

Crawford in 2013 and 2015 etc

He was an elite 1G behind a superteam who won similar to Quick, and Crawford. Both those guys are almost always behind the top 2/3 skaters of those teams (Kane, Keith, Toews and Doughty, Kopitar)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I swear they played Boston last night not Tampa

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He was more impactful than your downplaying.
He was the 3rd or 4th best player across those 3 runs (2020 to 2022)

Isolated he was their 4th or 5th reason for winning the cups and final run

1. Elite depth at forward and defense (you win cups with elite depth, top heavy teams rarely win and almost always suffer early exits)
2. Elite superstar production at defense and forward (their superstar skaters destroyed the competition)
3. Easier matchups then they would have had due to some odd playoff formats in 2020 and 2021 (2020 playins messed stuff up and 2021 isolated 4 leagues messed matchups)
4. Elite 1G who didnt fold --> Him
5. Elite Coaching staff across the board with strong systems

The Hawks and Kings had pts 1 and 2 as well, along with their coaches being very strong too

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He was an elite 1G behind a superteam who won similar to Quick, and Crawford

By that same logic:

Kucherov was an elite 1F playing on a superteam who won similar to Kane, Crosby

Hedman was an elite 1D playing on a super team who won similar to Doughty and Keith.

You’re not actually saying anything.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
By that same logic:

Kucherov was an elite 1F playing on a superteam who won similar to Kane, Crosby

Hedman was an elite 1D playing on a super team who won similar to Doughty and Keith.

You’re not actually saying anything.
Of course, I am saying that individual players isolated alone are overrated for their contributions to cups and specifically when trying to say one elite player in particular was key/more a key factor then another elite player

Mcdavid is the 3rd-5th greeatest player to play this sport, Draisaitl is an all time legend in the playoffs so far

They have destroyed teams in the playoffs and only ha e 4 playoff series wins

You need an elite team top to bottom to win. Management, coaching, forwards, defense etc

The best teams need elite depth that is how you win cups in the modern era

Tampa had more depth than other teams in their runs. Guys who were 1st and 2nd liners playing 3rd line matchups and winning their matchups heavily

Vasilevsky wasn't putting up a 2002 Gigure run where he had a poor offe sive team and he stole series with 1-2 goals per game support

Reactions: Daishi

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He was the 3rd or 4th best player across those 3 runs (2020 to 2022)

Isolated he was their 4th or 5th reason for winning the cups and final run

1. Elite depth at forward and defense (you win cups with elite depth, top heavy teams rarely win and almost always suffer early exits)
2. Elite superstar production at defense and forward (their superstar skaters destroyed the competition)
3. Easier matchups then they would have had due to some odd playoff formats in 2020 and 2021 (2020 playins messed stuff up and 2021 isolated 4 leagues messed matchups)
4. Elite 1G who didnt fold --> Him
5. Elite Coaching staff across the board with strong systems

The Hawks and Kings had pts 1 and 2 as well, along with their coaches being very strong too

Ridiculous, let’s just agree to disagree.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Almost 2024 and we still have people claiming the only difference between us and Tampa was that they got lucky and we didn't.

I don’t recall anyone saying that (I know I certainly didn’t)

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Of course, I am saying that individual players isolated alone are overrated for their contributions to cups and specifically when trying to say one elite player in particular was key/more a key factor then another elite player

Mcdavid is the 3rd-5th greeatest player to play this sport
, Draisaitl is an all time legend in the playoffs so far

They have destroyed teams in the playoffs and only ha e 4 playoff series wins

You need an elite team top to bottom to win. Management, coaching, forwards, defense etc

The best teams need elite depth that is how you win cups in the modern era

Tampa had more depth than other teams in their runs. Guys who were 1st and 2nd liners playing 3rd line matchups and winning their matchups heavily

Vasilevsky wasn't putting up a 2002 Gigure run where he had a poor offe sive team and he stole series with 1-2 goals per game support
Top 3-5 talent isn't the same as greatness.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t recall anyone saying that (I know I certainly didn’t)
I've done the Tampa Bay / goaltending argument many times. That ends up being the conclusion every time from the opposing side.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Not necessarily good or bad - I was just correcting and adding context to the post.

In the last five games two players (Mitch and Matty) have four points each, two (Domi and Jarnkrok) have three each, and Willy has two (same as Knies, and JT, and more than Bert).

The team has averaged only 2.4 goals per game, which isn't great, but the suggestion that Willy is suddenly the problem is odd.
Willy isn't a problem in fact he should be considered a pretty major asset.

We can't have Willy and Marner though can we? I'd take Willy over Marner..........I also don't want to pay Willy Marner money...............

I'm not the GM obviously. I wish we had a really good one who could actually exchange both Willy and Marner into other needs.............but that ain't gonna happen.

And that sucks.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Idk if there is another widely known Paul Marner thing but in the one I've seen he was mean to Mitch about how he played and kind of abusive. I'd put my money on him being one of the haters on here in other words.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Idk if there is another widely known Paul Marner thing but in the one I've seen he was mean to Mitch about how he played and kind of abusive. I'd put my money on him being one of the haters on here in other words.
People using that as some type of insult just highlights their idiocy

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
OK so I read the first 9 pages.

Wow! It's just like the main boards. 'People' just trolling or hating on the Leafs, same ones as always. Bothing ever happens to them. Unlike EVERY other teams' boards on this site....

I mean how many teams would be doing as well with 1/2 of their starting D injured? HALF of them!

• Haha
Reactions: bbruins3

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
What is this obsession with Gibson. He’s awful, one of the most overrated players in the league. His stats are always much much worse than his backups. He also gets injured alot. Moreover, nylander alone gets that ducks package. That trade is a top line winger + 1st + backup goaltender for a “starting” goalie + two 4th liners + a #6. Why the hell would be do that.
Then we trade Robertson, another promising forward for two defencemen. That’s now created a bottom six that will score 1 time every 5 games
There's something wrong with that post that you quoted and I'm now responding to.

How do we still have shit goaltending?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
You guys arguing about Tampa players when our very own goofy Captain refuses to backcheck and skates like an obese kid in Bantam. 😂

Reactions: hotpaws

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
oh bullshit - people can go everywhere on hf and post anti-Leaf garbage. Bruins board will ban you at the drop of a hat for posting facts. Why should we have to endure liars posing as Leaf fans, making the most absurd Leaf-hater posts. Real criticism is fine, but liars trashing this site - why should that be tolerated?
Your thin skin is not a asset on these boards, do they still have a ignore button? If so I recommend you start to use it………

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That clip with JT literally stopped skating during that OT goal is discouraging, I don’t care how tired you are, you are the Capt and you can’t give up on plays.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Your thin skin is not a asset on these boards, do they still have a ignore button? If so I recommend you start to use it………

just think trolls shouldn't be allowed to post here. Your cement head version of free speech is tiresome and definitely not needed here please use ignore button or better yet go back to your team's board.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
You guys arguing about Tampa players when our very own goofy Captain refuses to backcheck and skates like an obese kid in Bantam. 😂

The coach is at fault.

Anyone who ices JT for anything other than face off only has no eyes.

Pandering to our 11 AAV bros knows no bounds.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
just think trolls shouldn't be allowed to post here. Your cement head version of free speech is tiresome and definitely not needed here please use ignore button or better yet go back to your team's board.
Why would I use the ignore button? I come here to discuss the Leafs and like to here other’s opinions regardless of how much I might disagree with them. Oh, and I am on my teams board right here, been here for a hell of a lot longer than you……….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad