Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT, Samsonov terrible game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I lived through the Ballard era and what you just said was bullshit. The leafs had a season where they only had 48 points ffs. 48! 20 wins out of 80 games.

The level of not care and incompetence back then was off the charts!
I lived through the Ballard era as well.

Even the most terrible Leaf teams had players that were far more likeable than any of our core 4. I always felt a greater sense of hope for those 'bad' teams than I do feel with our current Leafs with a core of well overpaid 'star' players. For me, their penchant for constant failures trumps any feelings of hope.

Reactions: rumman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The correct answer is none of them. Draft or acquire hard working centers. Decent players. I'm not paying Nylander 11. He's not an 11 mil player.

He's not Pastarnak.

He's never hit 100 points. He's never scored 50.
He doesn't lead by example. Play 200 feet or kill penalties.

He had a 17 point streak. That's it. The rest is good. But not excellent. He is not a 11m winger.

Matthews would be an 11m center based on what he can do. But I would prefer an Eichel at 10m any day of the week. Eichel at 10m is more valuable then McDavid at 12m.

I want value versus cap hit in the games that matter. None of our stars have good value. They are all overpaid. We could probably sign another two decent pieces out of the inflated cost they put on the team because of ego and this f***ing market.
Maybe you just don't acknowledge facts.

How many second line wingers scored 50 goals? In the last ten seasons, only four wingers have 50 goals, and unless you consider Pastrnak, Rantanen, Ovechkin, and Kreider as second liners, that criterion makes no sense.

Why do you continue to say he doesn't play 200 feet or PK, when it's obvious he does?

I'm glad you have no say in the team.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
I’ll try to find it. It’s from the radio post game interview.
It didn’t sound as harsh (he didn’t say “sulk”. Something along the lines of it takes them a moment to collect themselves (their thoughts?) … trying to remember.
It was in convo about Dickinson bagging the hattie.
But this is what we all know. They play well against lazy teams during the lazy parts of the schedule. All fun. But Not good otherwise ( playoffs , start of season) or when bad teams play them hard. This is what the team is and it ain't changing.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Even the most terrible Leaf teams had players that were far more likeable than any of our core 4. I always felt a greater sense of hope for those 'bad' teams than I do feel with our current Leafs with a core of well overpaid 'star' players. For me, their penchant for constant failures trumps any feelings of hope.
I think that was more a product of how the game was played back then. Players/teams legit hated each other and as such had a much more sense of family or team chemistry on a nightly basis.

But as far as incompetence and lack of commitment? The bad teams (us) would go out drinking the night before games or miss practices or the like.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe you just don't acknowledge facts.

How many second line wingers scored 50 goals? In the last ten seasons, only four wingers have 50 goals, and unless you consider Pastrnak, Rantanen, Ovechkin, and Kreider as second liners, that criterion makes no sense.

Why do you continue to say he doesn't play 200 feet or PK, when it's obvious he does?

I'm glad you have no say in the team.
Oh sweet! A "fan" who thinks we should continue the path of overpaying superstars after 7 years of playoff failure and not even remotely looking like a Stanley Cup contender in the postseason, you (lol) think it would be the smart play to over pay Nylander to retain him so he can play his limited/offensive style game?

Being put on the ice at the tail end of a penalty kill is NOT killing penalties. That's what Marners been doing the past few seasons. I do watch Nylander's game. He's not the one to body a player off the puck. He's not going to throw hits, and his back checking is rather lack luster.

When I think Nylander I think fast hands/skates, great zone entries and a decent shot. I don't think defense. At all. I see his drive by stick checks and shying away from the corners.

Reactions: myleafs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Then you bench or healthy scratch Marner untill he BEGS for a trade !!!

One of the $11M players have to go !!! Marner is the weakest link IMHO. He's too 'cute' for the NHL and not strong enough on the puck. He has a mediocre shot and does not have break away speed.

His penalty killing and ability to block shots in the D zone does NOT warrant an $11M salary. I also think the rest of the NHL has figured out his weaknesses and are able to neutralize his 'cuteness.'

JMHO.
Zero chance that happens

Reactions: Drytoast

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Then you bench or healthy scratch Marner untill he BEGS for a trade !!!

One of the $11M players have to go !!! Marner is the weakest link IMHO. He's too 'cute' for the NHL and not strong enough on the puck. He has a mediocre shot and does not have break away speed.

His penalty killing and ability to block shots in the D zone does NOT warrant an $11M salary. I also think the rest of the NHL has figured out his weaknesses and are able to neutralize his 'cuteness.'

JMHO.
LOL so let me get this straight. You want to trade one of your main assets during a period where he's benched, lowering his trade value?

K.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Zero chance that happens
I agree with the management we have.

If a deal were to be had that favored our Leafs, I would hope that everything would be done by management to force the deal through.

Shanahan only played hardball as a player on the ice. He's super softer than Charmon as our president. Dr. Hayley Wickenheiser is likely more badass and more ruthless than Shanahan !!!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
LOL so let me get this straight. You want to trade one of your main assets during a period where he's benched, lowering his trade value?

K.
Nope, if a trade was available, and he refused to waive, then you do everything you can to get him to accept that his services are no longer wanted !!!

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Lived thru the Ballard days and this team definitely sucks way more. At least those teams had players who cared, regardless of what idiocy the owner did, they came to play, these Leafs not so much……..

So they definetely cared back then and this group doesnt? Is that a opinion or a fact?

If they cared so much back then......wouldnt we have a Stanley cup? I mean I was told that the players dont care now because they cant win a playoff series. Is that the standard?

Or is the opinion all based on the brain washing Don Cherry did to alot of fans. If they arent missing teeth or laying out big body checks .....or even have a growl on their face like Tucker and Gilmour then they must not care.

A team that has broken alot of regular season records over the past several years is a team full
of players who dont care.

We might as all give up watching then. I mean ....I could come out and say ....if the players cared we would have a Stanley cup by now. All those other Leaf icons must of not cared too. Maybe Max Domi cared more about his investments and his old mans money ....Maybe Wendle cared more about scoring 40 then playing any defense. Tucker was a clown on the ice and fans loved him because of his antics......won nothing......must of not cared.

And to say the Ballard teams cared more is laughable ....really .....

Social media and the TO mediots have ruined fans. Then you have the Don Cherry lovers who think if you dont fight or check ....you dont care. What did Don Cherry win again? Didnt he try to coach in other places and failed misserbly .....guess his players didnt care.

Keep on believing the mediots jibberish like its gospel. They do it to create a stir.....nothing more. Their opinions isnt any better or informative then Die hard leafs fans like my self who rarely ever misses a game.

JMHO :)

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I lived through the Ballard era and what you just said was bullshit. The leafs had a season where they only had 48 points ffs. 48! 20 wins out of 80 games.

The level of not care and incompetence back then was off the charts!

Fans always think the grass was greener back then .....They are stuck in the 70's hockey where you can go into the stands and fight fans. Those players really cared....or were they just maniacs with sticks? Who knows

Its too funny saying players that train all year...dont care.

I guess Kessel didnt care till he went to Pitt and won two cups and could of won MVP both times.......its weird he changed so much ....must of been him not eating the Young street hotdogs :) that made him care.....or was it all the additives in those dogs

Last edited:
Reactions: Drytoast

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022

We had constant failure since 67

I still have hope tho....if I didnt ....I rather watch something else JMHO

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Oh sweet! A "fan" who thinks we should continue the path of overpaying superstars after 7 years of playoff failure and not even remotely looking like a Stanley Cup contender in the postseason, you (lol) think it would be the smart play to over pay Nylander to retain him so he can play his limited/offensive style game?

Being put on the ice at the tail end of a penalty kill is NOT killing penalties. That's what Marners been doing the past few seasons. I do watch Nylander's game. He's not the one to body a player off the puck. He's not going to throw hits, and his back checking is rather lack luster.

When I think Nylander I think fast hands/skates, great zone entries and a decent shot. I don't think defense. At all. I see his drive by stick checks and shying away from the corners.
Switching stories again, but ok.

I don't agree with overpaying players. That's why I keep saying the Tavares and Marner, and to a lesser extent Matthews, have been overpaid for years. But that doesn't justify dumping the one who hasn't been overpaid and is actually outperforming them.

Of course Nylander isn't the player to run around hitting - he'd much rather just steal the puck, which he is very good at. If you've been watching this season, I don't know how you can say he's not on the PK, and doesn't backcheck.

He was third among forwards in PK time against Pittsburgh and second against Chicago. Did you miss those games?

I guess you see what you want to see.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So they definetely cared back then and this group doesnt? Is that a opinion or a fact?

If they cared so much back then......wouldnt we have a Stanley cup? I mean I was told that the players dont care now because they cant win a playoff series. Is that the standard?

Or is the opinion all based on the brain washing Don Cherry did to alot of fans. If they arent missing teeth or laying out big body checks .....or even have a growl on their face like Tucker and Gilmour then they must not care.

A team that has broken alot of regular season records over the past several years is a team full
of players who dont care.

We might as all give up watching then. I mean ....I could come out and say ....if the players cared we would have a Stanley cup by now. All those other Leaf icons must of not cared too. Maybe Max Domi cared more about his investments and his old mans money ....Maybe Wendle cared more about scoring 40 then playing any defense. Tucker was a clown on the ice and fans loved him because of his antics......won nothing......must of not cared.

And to say the Ballard teams cared more is laughable ....really .....

Social media and the TO mediots have ruined fans. Then you have the Don Cherry lovers who think if you dont fight or check ....you dont care. What did Don Cherry win again? Didnt he try to coach in other places and failed misserbly .....guess his players didnt care.

Keep on believing the mediots jibberish like its gospel. They do it to create a stir.....nothing more. Their opinions isnt any better or informative then Die hard leafs fans like my self who rarely ever misses a game.

JMHO :)
It’s a hockey forum, of course it’s my opinion, every post you state is your opinion. I doubt your old enough to know what I was talking about as to the Ballard era, in fact you probably weren’t even born, but your opinion holds more weight than mine? Interesting, that says all I need to know about you……….

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Switching stories again, but ok.

I don't agree with overpaying players. That's why I keep saying the Tavares and Marner, and to a lesser extent Matthews, have been overpaid for years. But that doesn't justify dumping the one who hasn't been overpaid and is actually outperforming them.

Of course Nylander isn't the player to run around hitting - he'd much rather just steal the puck, which he is very good at. If you've been watching this season, I don't know how you can say he's not on the PK, and doesn't backcheck.

He was third among forwards in PK time against Pittsburgh and second against Chicago. Did you miss those games?

I guess you see what you want to see.

If will wants to come in at 9 or less by all means pay him. if he wants 11...see ya! Same with Marner on his next contract. That bitch better be single digits.

And Matthews? Matthews for what he brings to the table is an 11M player at best.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
It’s a hockey forum, of course it’s my opinion, every post you state is your opinion. I doubt your old enough to know what I was talking about as to the Ballard era, in fact you probably weren’t even born, but your opinion holds more weight than mine? Interesting, that says all I need to know about you……….

I actually remember our last Stanley cup my friend….been watching them since then. So i’ve seen it all.

And your opinion on players not caring compared to the laughable Ballard years where they needed a second job and smoked on the bench is just plain wrong.

Stop looking at what they get paid and all the other fictitious stuff Don Cherry has brainwashed you with.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I actually remember our last Stanley cup my friend….been watching them since then. So i’ve seen it all.

And your opinion on players not caring compared to the laughable Ballard years where they needed a second job and smoked on the bench is just plain wrong.

Stop looking at what they get paid and all the other fictitious stuff Don Cherry has brainwashed you with.
Quick, what year were you born in………hahahahahahahahahaha

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
If will wants to come in at 9 or less by all means pay him. if he wants 11...see ya! Same with Marner on his next contract. That bitch better be single digits.

And Matthews? Matthews for what he brings to the table is an 11M player at best.
I think Willy is looking for $10.5 million per at the very least.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

The 70s teams were generally likeable because they had a GM in Jim Gregory who turned the meagre resources Ballard gave him into decent teams, but the 80s teams were all mediocre to terrible. It only felt better because 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs, and the Norris division was usually so bad that the Leafs only had to beat out another bad team for a playoff spot. They still missed out four times, and made it one year finishing 20th overall.

Rick Vaive scoring 50 three straight years and Wendel-mania made some people forget how bad those teams really were.

Reactions: Al14 and BallardEra

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
The 70s teams were generally likeable because they had a GM in Jim Gregory who turned the meagre resources Ballard gave him into decent teams, but the 80s teams were all mediocre to terrible. It only felt better because 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs, and the Norris division was usually so bad that the Leafs only had to beat out another bad team for a playoff spot. They still missed out four times, and made it one year finishing 20th overall.

Rick Vaive scoring 50 three straight years and Wendel-mania made some people forget how bad those teams really were.
Those 70s teams also had likeable players with skill and personality along with a "bad guy" everyone hated that made us like them even more. There's no Ballard to focus our anger on today. Just a front office that has made mistakes, but not one openly sabotaging the team. It's hard to hate a faceless ownership group.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
There's no Ballard to focus our anger on today. Just a front office that has made mistakes, but not one openly sabotaging the team. It's hard to hate a faceless ownership group.

No it's not.

This is Rogers and Bell were talking about. It's easy to hate those two companies. But if you need a face to express your concerns towards may I suggest Tanenbaum?

His team, his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad