Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT, Samsonov terrible game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Luke Richardson said postgame that top 6’s usually match up but with the injuries he went with the Dickinson line vs AM & MM. and told them pregame that both often sulk getting back into coverage when they lose the puck. Play transition with speed and you should get opportunities.
He was spot on.

Also said he told the team to be more physical than they have been. That Toronto doesn’t handle physicality well.
Hard to believe an opposing coach would say this publicly. We all know that they do not handle the rough stuff well but "sulking" when they lose the puck is beyond belief.

• Wow
Reactions: Jmo89

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When Matthews was drafted he was billed by Babcock as an “elite drive train” player. Since his Hart Trophy season I feel like he’s gone the way of younger Nylander in terms of pick and choose engagement level. Yeah, I get the wrist thing. But it’s also an effort thing.

Sometimes it’s all there in a shift. Sometimes he plays with power and straight lines, goes to the net. Other times it’s like an all-star game level of engagement, toy around with the opposition and not too worried about it. I’m worried it’s like the Fedorov curve where after he hit his peak in 1994 and 1996 he just wasn’t always into it.
Sadly, I believe your assessment is spot on…….

Hard to believe an opposing coach would say this publicly. We all know that they do not handle the rough stuff well but "sulking" when they lose the puck is beyond belief.
Little to no honey badger in this teams character…….

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
How many times have we made it past the 1st round in the last decade?

iu

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I’ll try to find it. It’s from the radio post game interview.
It didn’t sound as harsh (he didn’t say “sulk”. Something along the lines of it takes them a moment to collect themselves (their thoughts?) … trying to remember.
It was in convo about Dickinson bagging the hattie.

Reactions: ToneDog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It means if you wanna get paid 11 mil, you are doing real damage to the make up of your team which means you are not allowed to hit posts.
So a complete miss on the sarcasm.

By the way, it wasn't any of the three $11M players who hit the posts - none of them even got close!

Reactions: Al14 and 1specter

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
So a complete miss on the sarcasm.

By the way, it wasn't any of the three $11M players who hit the posts - none of them even got close!
I know! And the answer to this conundrum isn't MOAR 11M players!

myleafs

May 25, 2021
That loss was all about sh*tty tending .. everyone has a bad game here and there and that one was all on Sammy .. but that was 1st game this season where I feel he lost us a point .. our D needs improvement and that pass by Matty was really really bad but still it was a game lost by tender
really? the first half of the game yes but after about the 14min mark of the 2nd it was mostly the hawks outhustling, outhitting and outplaying the leafs.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It wasn't good enough last season, and it sure the hell IS NOT good enough this season.

There needs to be positive growth every year and we're not really seeing any at all.

7 seasons of constant failure in the playoffs without a substantial increase of regular season competitiveness. Winning in round 1 last season was immediately negated by the total collapse in the 2nd round against the Panthers.

Our Leafs have peaked, and are unlikely to get any better the longer the management sticks with this OVERPAID core.

I'd try to trade Marner to Calgary for Kadri, Hanifin, and whatever else I could get.
I dont disagree, however......There is ZERO chance marner goes along with this or any other trade for that matter. He holds ALL the cards.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I dont disagree, however......There is ZERO chance marner goes along with this or any other trade for that matter. He holds ALL the cards.
I’d let him walk then and be hated by Leafs nation for the remainder of his career. Wait for the next Pietrangelo type to hit the market. This team needs a shake up really bad and I think most believe it should be Marner.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
shanahan has to go. o reilly knew the culture here was too woke- they will never win anything- marner has to go, get 2 solid d men, need a decent goalie. am needs to earn his paycheck. soft forwards as well- what a mess. all the guys they got at the deadline they shoulve kept- traded mm for a #1 dman or a #2 dman and good goalie.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
How many times have we made it past the 1st round in the last decade?

So 20 games in season and we’re not serious and now the goal post move and it’s success in playoffs?

So I assume that any team that doesn’t win lord stanley is not serious?

My God….for whatever reason winning a round or two is success and players are serious?

Arm chair fans kill me. We have had one of the better teams in the league and now the players are not serious

Spoiled

Wish you all could of gone thru the ballard days

Guess clark and all the other supposed icons the leafs have had were never serious because they couldn’t win a cup

Guess if mathew’s and marner dropped the gloves they would be more serious?

Is that the standard?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
So 20 games in season and we’re not serious and now the goal post move and it’s success in playoffs?

My God….for whatever reason winning a round or two is success and players are serious?

Arm chair fans kill me. We have had one of the better teams in the league and now the players are not serious

Spoiled

Guess clark and all the other supposed icons the leafs have had were never serious because they couldn’t win a cup

Is that the standard?

7 years in we are not serious team... 7 years of I dont give a shit hockey is a large enough sample size to determine this is not a serious team...

We have the skill where we should be a dominate team, we have the effort level and consistency that makes us a "not serious team".

I did go through the Ballard years, equivocating that era to this era, is not making the point you think it is.

You're all over the place, Ballard, AM/MM fighting, Clark, Arm chair fans... which ALL has nothing to do with being a serious team. Clearly you dont understand the point you are debating, for reference Boston is a serious team, Tampa was a serious team, Colorado is a serious team, Las Vegas is a serious team... you on the other hand can be taken seriously with your scattered logic.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
7 years in we are not serious team... 7 years of I dont give a shit hockey is a large enough sample size to determine this is not a serious team...

We have the skill where we should be a dominate team, we have the effort level and consistency that makes us a "not serious team".

I did go through the Ballard years, equivocating that era to this era, is not making the point you think it is.

You're all over the place, Ballard, AM/MM fighting, Clark, Arm chair fans... which ALL has nothing to do with being a serious team. Clearly you dont understand the point you are debating, for reference Boston is a serious team, Tampa was a serious team, Colorado is a serious team, Las Vegas is a serious team... you on the other hand can be taken seriously with your scattered logic.
Keep on moving the goal posts

Team isn’t serious but the past leafs teams were? Because Hayes and some fans sitting on the couch say so?

So what 95 percent of teams are not serious? Or if Mathew’s and marner showed a growl like the fan icon Tucker on the ice then they are serious?

Keep on whining and imho I have no idea why you watch a team that isn’t serious or you think isn’t serious.

Hard to get 100 pts in a season not being serious but hey your standard is a playoff win or two

Thank God I know what it feels like to see my team win Lord Stanley

I recommend you stop watching if you think the leafs are just playing patty cake

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Keep on moving the goal posts

Team isn’t serious but the past leafs teams were? Because Hayes and some fans sitting on the couch say so?

So what 95 percent of teams are not serious? Or if Mathew’s and marner showed a growl like the fan icon Tucker on the ice then they are serious?

Keep on whining and imho I have no idea why you watch a team that isn’t serious or you think isn’t serious.

Hard to get 100 pts in a season not being serious but hey your standard is a playoff win or two

Thank God I know what it feels like to see my team win Lord Stanley

I recommend you stop watching if you think the leafs are just playing patty cake

You need a remedial class on English comprehension ... YOU set the goal posts assuming YOU understood the topic.. that failure is on you Sparky...

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
You need a remedial class on English comprehension ... YOU set the goal posts assuming YOU understood the topic.. that failure is on you Sparky...
That fact you don’t think the team is serious 20 games in the season and believe Hayes is on you. Thats the topic

Then you move the goal post to playoff wins when I mentioned 100 pt seasons

That’s on you again

Then you proclaim that it’s because they can’t get past a round or two

Somehow that’s a standard to be serious….again that’s on you

So like I said…most professional teams that have regular season success…breaking records means nothing and they are not serious

But a team that wins a playoff series or two is?

Enjoy the game Ralph ….its easy

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That fact you don’t think the team is serious 20 games in the season and believe Hayes is on you. Thats the topic

Then you move the goal post to playoff wins when I mentioned 100 pt seasons

That’s on you again

Then you proclaim that it’s because they can’t get past a round or two

Somehow that’s a standard to be serious….again that’s on you

So like I said…most professional teams that have regular season success…breaking records means nothing and they are not serious

But a team that wins a playoff series or two is?

Enjoy the game Ralph ….its easy

sigh ... you dont get it... they say dont argue with an idiot because people cant tell who is who... with that said.. have a good day...

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I feel like this subject has been beaten up pretty good already. I don't think he is nearly as good a coach as his record suggests. Having a successful team with a bunch of stars is not the same as getting the best out of a lesser lineup. However every loss is not on him. Sammy has easily sucked away 3 wins by himself and M and M not producing is mostly on them and the weak D is on the GM. A few things to fix,

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
You mean Samsonov blows it again, the team had nothing to do with that.

The first 2 goals aren't the teams fault
Yes sammy lost it again but what i ment no lead is great enough our coach should have removed him from the game and put in woll and called up jones how many games does he have to lose before he makes the changes he is not fit to be behind the bench

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
sigh ... you dont get it... they say dont argue with an idiot because people cant tell who is who... with that said.. have a good day...
I don’t argue it’s a discussion.

I get it….you don’t

Sitting in your lazy boy complaining about professional athletes that train all year that they don’t take their profession seriously is a joke

only fools believe that and then they jump into a discussion about Hayes opinion and add playoff faikures

Guess Kessel didn’t take it serious either as you probably believed all the hotdog rumours and then he wins two cups

If they don’t take it seriously you should watch another team that does. You know…the ones you mentioned before

Be better….dont act like a trump supporter

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Spoiled

Is that the standard?
Lived thru the Ballard days and this team definitely sucks way more. At least those teams had players who cared, regardless of what idiocy the owner did, they came to play, these Leafs not so much……..

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Correct - the answer is getting rid of the two who aren't earning it, not the one earning it without being paid it.
The correct answer is none of them. Draft or acquire hard working centers. Decent players. I'm not paying Nylander 11. He's not an 11 mil player.

He's not Pastarnak.

He's never hit 100 points. He's never scored 50.
He doesn't lead by example. Play 200 feet or kill penalties.

He had a 17 point streak. That's it. The rest is good. But not excellent. He is not a 11m winger.

Matthews would be an 11m center based on what he can do. But I would prefer an Eichel at 10m any day of the week. Eichel at 10m is more valuable then McDavid at 12m.

I want value versus cap hit in the games that matter. None of our stars have good value. They are all overpaid. We could probably sign another two decent pieces out of the inflated cost they put on the team because of ego and this f***ing market.

Reactions: Al14

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Lived thru the Ballard days and this team definitely sucks way more. At least those teams had players who cared, regardless of what idiocy the owner did, they came to play, these Leafs not so much……..
I lived through the Ballard era and what you just said was bullshit. The leafs had a season where they only had 48 points ffs. 48! 20 wins out of 80 games.

The level of not care and incompetence back then was off the charts!

Reactions: Da Mash

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Then you bench or healthy scratch Marner untill he BEGS for a trade !!!

One of the $11M players have to go !!! Marner is the weakest link IMHO. He's too 'cute' for the NHL and not strong enough on the puck. He has a mediocre shot and does not have break away speed.

His penalty killing and ability to block shots in the D zone does NOT warrant an $11M salary. I also think the rest of the NHL has figured out his weaknesses and are able to neutralize his 'cuteness.'

JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad