Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT - JT gets point 1000 against former team

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, the Leafs have been trash, and the Islanders are on par with them... therefore they are trash.

Not a hard concept...
The poster I was responding to has been pumping up the Leafs all season so I'm pretty sure he doesn't regard the Leafs as trash. Does that help?
They’re equal at the quarter pole.

There are too many teams with too many players that shouldn’t be in the NHL. Get rid of teams like Seattle, one of Edmonton or Calgary, Arizona, and Winnipeg and distribute those players.
That's another subject entirely. I wouldn't mind something like a 20 team league and a 60 game season where 8 teams make the playoffs, it'll never happen though.
I don't think I have ever used the word "trash". I'm a bit old to use a word like that.
I thought you did but my apologies if I confused you with someone else.

Reactions: Nineteen67

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Happy for JT. Losing that game sucks but at least they crawled back to get a loser point.

Samsonov is just not it, way too many holes in his game right now... literally. Timmins also had a very rough one last night with awful turnovers, not sure Keefe will have the patience if he doesn't turn a corner soon.

Reactions: Al14

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
At some point it will be a 40 team league.
I shudder at the thought. You're probably right though, it seems inevitable. It'll take time though, not sure if I should feel consoled or not by the fact that there's a good chance I won't live long enough to see it happen. ;)

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Glad we stole a point as we were thoroughly outplayed for most of the game.

Gonna be a rough few weeks with the team defense looking like this and the goaltending we have right now.

Congrats to JT on hitting 1000, awesome it was against NYI in front of their home crowd.

do we really watched the same game

1st period leafs played a trash period and islanders outplaued... last 40 minutes Toronto was easily the best team on the ice and its not even close... outside of palmieri goal who past into Samsonov body ( who was not enough compact and kind of save Sorokin in the other way did)

so get outplayed 20 of 60 minutes, its not mu definition of most of the game...

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If Tavares had any guts whatsoever, he'd have gone to center ice and put his hand to his ear to listen to the boos. He gets booed all night, every night in that barn and then when he makes the boo birds eat their crow, he raises his stick to them.

Sometimes being classy is just being soft. There's no passion there.

And that the team managed to lose 45 seconds into OT is just more of what plagues us. They got the tie and JT's 1000th point, it was mission accomplished and then 45 seconds of lazy BS later, the game ended in defeat. They only care about individual accomplishments, once they've got the milestones they pack it up and lose their focus and drive.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Nice to get at least a point out of it. Exciting play to tie it up with seconds left, and Tavares notching his 1,000th point in front of his old team.

Gotta admit, that Horvat OT goal was impressive. Where he ended up from the pass from Barzal, the angle he was on. That shot was a thing of beauty. I thought he didn't have enough room to get that over Samsonov's shoulder.

Reactions: ToneDog and ACC1224

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
They’re equal at the quarter pole.

There are too many teams with too many players that shouldn’t be in the NHL. Get rid of teams like Seattle, one of Edmonton or Calgary, Arizona, and Winnipeg and distribute those players.
Or, get rid of no Canadian teams and stop expanding into the US

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This team simply can't win regularly playing 5v5 on regulation time.

The rely too often on PP and goalie out odd man advantages or they end up in gimmick time 3v3 OT or the skills competition of the SO to decide games.

12 of their 25 games have gone into OT or beyond.

Hard to access your teams Cup competitiveness when 1/2 their regulation games have been decided via tie breaking gimmicks designed to entertain fans but not applicable come playoff time.

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Marner's old man is f***ing pathetic.

Didn't even crack a smile. Couldn't bother to feel happy for anyone else's accomplishments because it means another dollar in Tavares' pocket and one less in the Marner piggy bank. I'm actually embarassed for the both of them right now.

I doubt they feel the same way.

Reactions: Arzak

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
With his goal and assist to give him 1000 points, future HOFer Tavares now ranks tied for 39th on the era adjusted goals list (tied with Ron Francis). The only non active/eligible players not in the Hall of fame who are still above him are Bondra and Tkatchuk. For the era adjusted points list, he ranks 57th (just ahead of Trottier) with the only non active/eligible players not in the Hall of fame who are still above him being Damphousse, Brind'Amour and Roenick. He will likely far surpass all of the other names on this post.

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sammy's fault IMO. You can't expect Mitch to be money when he can't count on the goalie to make a clutch save.

JK. Mitch is always "money". ;)
Sammy intentionally lets in goals only when Mitch is on the ice (even when Woll is in net)? Impressive.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Didn't even crack a smile. Couldn't bother to feel happy for anyone else's accomplishments because it means another dollar in Tavares' pocket and one less in the Marner piggy bank. I'm actually embarassed for the both of them right now.

I figured he would be happy watching his son make that incredible pass to the point to get the whole thing started but oh well.....but who gives a crap about Marners dad anyways? I didnt even notice him as I was focused on being so happy for Tavares and his father.

Reactions: Arzak and ACC1224

horner

May 22, 2007
Nice to get at least a point out of it. Exciting play to tie it up with seconds left, and Tavares notching his 1,000th point in front of his old team.

Gotta admit, that Horvat OT goal was impressive. Where he ended up from the pass from Barzal, the angle he was on. That shot was a thing of beauty. I thought he didn't have enough room to get that over Samsonov's shoulder.
Some people are saying that Sammy should have stopped that shot .
To me he had no chance .

Reactions: andora and bax

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I figured he would be happy watching his son make that incredible pass to the point to get the whole thing started but oh well.....but who gives a crap about Marners dad anyways? I didnt even notice him as I was focused on being so happy for Tavares and his father.

Matthew, Tavares, Marner.

One of these things is not like the others.

Marner's old man was probably upset because Marner didn't get an assist on the play. He probably also blames Tavares for Marner not having 1000 points himself already. I'm always happy whenever I can see a milestone game like this one.

Especially when it's a Leafs player hitting the mark.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Talk about pathetic, check the mirror.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Marner’s dad was upset saying it should have been his son getting 1000 points and not JT according to Dregs.
Getting rid of Marner's Dad is one of my TOP reasons for trading Marner. He is poison when it comes to team building because HIS SON is the best and is underpaid at any salary.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Paul makes Bonnie and Clyde Lindros look like saints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad