Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT - JT gets point 1000 against former team

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Our Leafs were fortunate to get the LOSER POINT last night.

On paper, comparing team rosters player by player, one would think we should beat the NYI without much of a hassle.

Thanks to JT, and his 2 points, our Leafs secured a point. If only our Leafs were better in OT, we could have gotten 2 points. But alas, I think the NYI wanted that game a lot more than our Leafs.

Speaking of JT, I kinda wish he'd have pulled a Lindros and refused to sign a contract with the NYI. That would have really deserved the booing he gets from that fan base. JT did his time with them and wanted to move on to his hometown team. Get the f*** over it NYI fans !!!

Congratulations to JT for reaching the 1000 point club of the NHL. With his lack of speed it's a wonder how he could do it. It's all because of his work in close to the oppositions net. His shot and high hand eye coordination are supreme.

Hopefully, when his current contract expires, JT signs a retirement contract with our Leafs that reflects his desire to remain a Leaf. We need him to accept a much smaller cap hit!

IMHO, if we swapped goalies last night, our Leafs win that game in regulation something like 6-3.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I figured he would be happy watching his son make that incredible pass to the point to get the whole thing started but oh well.....but who gives a crap about Marners dad anyways? I didnt even notice him as I was focused on being so happy for Tavares and his father.
You can know everything about a person from a 1 second clip.
This place can be so stupid.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
By no means am I trying to blame Sammy entirely for this game, but sometimes you need your goalie to make a save he shouldn't in key moments to weather the storm. These saves have just been missing all season long for him. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Sammy's season is so eerily similar to Freddy's last season as a Leaf. Consistently out of position, and failing to track the play well enough. So many pucks get behind him because he is a millisecond behind on his read. It makes the viewer think, "oh well what's he to do on that play" but in reality it's his initial read on the play that pretty well removes all chance at coming up with a save. Or at the very least makes what would be a hard save nearly impossible.

Goal number 1 for example: Puck gets dumped in and we lose the battle in behind the net. Sammy then drops to a RVH, which makes sense when the puck is below the goal line. The puck then gets collected on the wall by Palmeiri on his OFF WING and Sammy is still planted on his post in the same RVH. Like does he think Palmeiri of all people has the ability to rip shortside titty on his backhand there??? for referance this is the look Palmeiri had right as he dished the puck to Nelson in the slot

1702395497690.png

and then below is a screenshot of Brock Nelson at the exact point of release

1702395649294.png

Sammy, deep in the blue paint, stapled to his post in that same RVH he has been in for over 6 seconds...

Again, it is completely unfair of me to blame Sammy entirely on this play. A board battle was lost and the defensive zone coverage thereafter was not great. But little details like this have been missing from Sammy's game all year. This isn't the bang bang play it looked like in real time. Great effort by that Isles line on the forecheck, great pass by Palmeiri, and great finish by Nelson, but its hardly as if Sammy didn't just gift them they entire glove side.

You could almost breakdown every Sammy goal in this fashion. The same way you could have done to Freddy in 2020-21. Realistically, Sammy just doesn't make enough positional saves. Pucks never just seem to hit Sammy, and that's not a coincidence.

That said, I liked the battle to come back in the game and get the single point, and major kudos to JT on 1K. Huge accomplishment.

Overall not too disappointed with that loss. We are trending in the right direction IMO. Credit to the Isles for playing really hard after that first GA. They really won that game in the ensuing 20 mins that followed that opening goal. It ended up being a 50:50 game that ended in their favor, largely from them outworking us early in the game.

Love the battle back, Just need to find a consistent 60 minute effort

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It was an entertaining evenly played match that could have gone either way.

I'm glad the boys fought back until the end to earn a point, and to get JT his 1000th point in front of those bitter fans was just icing on the cake.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
While we hope Sammy can make a save on one of their goals at least, there's equal or more blame to team D. Letting guys take a clean pass in the middle of the slot, or at the dots, is not a recipe for success. At times, the islanders were passing through our team to high enough danger zones. Last year's team and attention to D detail wouldn't have let those passes through as easily.

At the same time, with half an ahl-ish d-core.. I guess we're doing alright.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
By no means am I trying to blame Sammy entirely for this game, but sometimes you need your goalie to make a save he shouldn't in key moments to weather the storm. These saves have just been missing all season long for him. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Sammy's season is so eerily similar to Freddy's last season as a Leaf. Consistently out of position, and failing to track the play well enough. So many pucks get behind him because he is a millisecond behind on his read. It makes the viewer think, "oh well what's he to do on that play" but in reality it's his initial read on the play that pretty well removes all chance at coming up with a save. Or at the very least makes what would be a hard save nearly impossible.

Goal number 1 for example: Puck gets dumped in and we lose the battle in behind the net. Sammy then drops to a RVH, which makes sense when the puck is below the goal line. The puck then gets collected on the wall by Palmeiri on his OFF WING and Sammy is still planted on his post in the same RVH. Like does he think Palmeiri of all people has the ability to rip shortside titty on his backhand there??? for referance this is the look Palmeiri had right as he dished the puck to Nelson in the slot

View attachment 782066

View attachment 782068

Sammy, deep in the blue paint, stapled to his post in that same RVH he has been in for over 6 seconds...

Again, it is completely unfair of me to blame Sammy entirely on this play. A board battle was lost and the defensive zone coverage thereafter was not great. But little details like this have been missing from Sammy's game all year. This isn't the bang bang play it looked like in real time. Great effort by that Isles line on the forecheck, great pass by Palmeiri, and great finish by Nelson, but its hardly as if Sammy didn't just gift them they entire glove side.

You could almost breakdown every Sammy goal in this fashion. The same way you could have done to Freddy in 2020-21. Realistically, Sammy just doesn't make enough positional saves. Pucks never just seem to hit Sammy, and that's not a coincidence.

That said, I liked the battle to come back in the game and get the single point, and major kudos to JT on 1K. Huge accomplishment.

Overall not too disappointed with that loss. We are trending in the right direction IMO. Credit to the Isles for playing really hard after that first GA. They really won that game in the ensuing 20 mins that followed that opening goal. It ended up being a 50:50 game that ended in their favor, largely from them outworking us early in the game.

Love the battle back, Just need to find a consistent 60 minute effort
On that particular goal, JT lost the board battle, forcing Brodie to go after Palmieri, and Mitch just stood there doing nothing. Sammy could have reacted faster, but it was a one-timer.

(Brodie and Rielly played it properly, and Bert had his man tied up.)

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
By no means am I trying to blame Sammy entirely for this game, but sometimes you need your goalie to make a save he shouldn't in key moments to weather the storm. ...

View attachment 782068

Look who is standing beside Sammy and the lack of white jerseys around.

Sammy had to remain deep in the blue paint. If he came out, Nelson would be able to pass to the Islander at the side of the net who would bump it in behind Sammy.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
On that particular goal, JT lost the board battle, forcing Brodie to go after Palmieri, and Mitch just stood there doing nothing. Sammy could have reacted faster, but it was a one-timer.

(Brodie and Rielly played it properly, and Bert had his man tied up.)
That wasn't my point. I mentioned the defensive breakdown. The point was that defensive breakdowns are going to happen even for the best of teams, and when they do you sometimes need your goalie to bail you out. Sammy didn't even put himself in a position to do that because he was still in an RVH and hugging his post. Not to mention he never even kicked off his post to try and make a more positional save, he just try to extend from his already poor position.

Would it have been a hard save if he were to have made a better read on Palmeiri? sure. But all good goalies make hard saves. Sammy is just not making enough of them this year.

I will say, and I may not have been overly clear in my last post. Sammy is not the reason we lost. He gave us a chance. We fell asleep for 20 straight minutes in the 1st and 2nd where we were getting pummeled. You cannot do that at the NHL level and expect to win. Sammy let in 3 goals during that stretch and none of them were his fault. It doesn't mean he couldn't make a save on those plays either.

I guess its just challenging watching teams routinely get bailed out by their tendy's when playing us only to have 50% of our mistakes end up in the back of our net.

Is the benchmark for a good Sammy game going to have to be mistake free hockey in front of him? It's never going to happen with our injuries on the back end.

Of course it's not all on Sammy to carry that extra load, but he certainly has the power and ability to do just that.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Couldn't believe the so called back check on the winning goal, not even 1 simple stride to make it look like he was making an effort. Totally hung MoRielly out to dry:naughty:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
We still haven't seen Jones played a full game yet. If he shits his bed tomorrow then it's time to panic.
Sometimes it's a pretty picture sometimes it's not. Playing in San Jose the last few years has really hurt his game.
Congrats JT, you deserve it

Classless isles fans can suck it
And the classless Leafs fans?
We're playing our backup goalie because of injury and half of our defensive core are out

We got into a hole early but did enough to come back and get a point against a hot team in there barn

I'm going to remain positive and say that's not a bad effort given the circumstances and it's nice we are finding ways to accumulate points this season
I have to agree with this all, sure Sammy was a little too loose on two of those goals and the 1st one he just kind of whiffed. He just needs to get back to where he was last year. All those years I wished Leafs goalies would finish with his numbers last year 2.33 and a .919.
Snazzy?
Keefe has 9 lives
As long as he keeps petting his big cat he does!
There is nothing lamer than fans of one team complaining about fans of another team. God love them for booing. At least they show some emotion. Our fans could take a lesson from the fans of some of these other teams.
Leafs fans have done a pretty good job of booing the B&W at home for years:nod::laugh:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Look who is standing beside Sammy and the lack of white jerseys around.

Sammy had to remain deep in the blue paint. If he came out, Nelson would be able to pass to the Islander at the side of the net who would bump it in behind Sammy.
Again, my point was not meant to deflect away from the lost board battle and defensive breakdown thereafter, my point was that Ilya remaining in an RVH as the puck is collected at the hashmarks by a guy on his off wing eventually put him into a situation were he made a hard save damn near impossible.

If you watch Ilya Sorokin for with the net empty for example, He drops to RVH when Matthews is behind the net collecting the puck. Makes sense. Protect the post in case Auston makes a move towards net, and protect the bottom 1/3rd if he hucks it towards net for a redirect or jam play
1702413559731.png

Fast forward 1.2 seconds and what do we see....

1702413688348.png

Matthews is 3 feet past the goal line and Sorokin is already on his feet reading the play and ready to make a save. You'll also see Jarnkrok wide open in about the exact same spot as where Nelson scored his goal. Ready for that 1T. the puck then went back down to Willy where Sorokin once again dropped to RVH which is to be expected, and eventually centered out front where he was prepared to make a good positional save.

Sammy's use of the RVH looks like a lazy out of shape beer leaguer who wants to limit the amount of times he goes up and down.

there are so many examples of Sammy's poor use of RVH and going down into RVH too early and staying too long. I'm not even a tendy and I see it

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Would they?

Mogilny scored his 1000th point against BUF, and the bench didn't empty, it emptied when Kaberle won the game in OT.

I wasn’t thinking back 20 years, that one escaped me.

It is kind of silly, though.
Huge milestone, so it's not really silly

What is silly is the;

"Superstar who's made 10s or 100s of millions over the course of his career while playing against your home team, going on the 'give me expensive gifts' tour, at his retirement!"

That to me is just greedy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce