Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT - JT gets point 1000 against former team

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I feel like at the 25 point mark I can officially say I'm disappointed with Bertuzzi. I thought being.in our top 6 you could put up 15 points in your sleep and a guy with his caliber he'd be a top producer for us.
He literally looks out of gas 25 seconds into his shifts, I just don't get what's going on with him?

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
The Isles broadcast has one of the best play-by-play guys in the business (Brendan Burke) paired with arguably the worst colour guy (Butch Goring)

Clear evidence in this clip.

The only time Gutch Boring should open his mouth is during those old 80's interviews, and even then.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That wasn't my point. I mentioned the defensive breakdown. The point was that defensive breakdowns are going to happen even for the best of teams, and when they do you sometimes need your goalie to bail you out. Sammy didn't even put himself in a position to do that because he was still in an RVH and hugging his post. Not to mention he never even kicked off his post to try and make a more positional save, he just try to extend from his already poor position.

Would it have been a hard save if he were to have made a better read on Palmeiri? sure. But all good goalies make hard saves. Sammy is just not making enough of them this year.

I will say, and I may not have been overly clear in my last post. Sammy is not the reason we lost. He gave us a chance. We fell asleep for 20 straight minutes in the 1st and 2nd where we were getting pummeled. You cannot do that at the NHL level and expect to win. Sammy let in 3 goals during that stretch and none of them were his fault. It doesn't mean he couldn't make a save on those plays either.

I guess its just challenging watching teams routinely get bailed out by their tendy's when playing us only to have 50% of our mistakes end up in the back of our net.

Is the benchmark for a good Sammy game going to have to be mistake free hockey in front of him? It's never going to happen with our injuries on the back end.

Of course it's not all on Sammy to carry that extra load, but he certainly has the power and ability to do just that.
Oops. Mea culpa. I was actually responding to the poster who was blaming it on our terrible D.

To be fair to Sammy, it was a one-timer by a player who came from behind the net, completely unchecked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad