Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 | BREAK UP MATTHEWS AND MARNER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Here's the Leafs' biggest problem: why aren't Matthews and Marner in the top 10 in NHL scoring despite making all that money?

Matthews got his big money again, now Marner is rubbing his hands together for his next contract.
Cause it is all about the money. Money trumps winning today. Hopefully not before they are no longer Leafs. Hated Willie's game after he signed but this guy and his game have grown leaps and bounds more than 16 and 34 IMO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Break up Matthews and Marner is a No Brainer decision.

Here are the game logs of the Leafs last 7 games.

1701022572708.png

Marner has recorded 3 assists over those last 7 games & -6 +/-

1701022871677.png

Matthews has recorded 1 goal and 2 assists for 3 points in last 7 games & -5 +/-.

Not only are they not producing and just floating around as the highest paid players in the game but they're also defensive liabilities as their +/- shows they get scored against more than they score at ES 5v5.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Cause it is all about the money. Money trumps winning today. Hopefully not before they are no longer Leafs. Hated Willie's game after he signed but this guy and his game have grown leaps and bounds more than 16 and 34 IMO.

Marner peaked and is declining. He is positively slower as well
Matthews declined last season and looks about the same (still generational level goal scorer) but Marner is not helping him much this season
Nylander keeps getting better. This year Nylander even has JT looking pretty damn great and considering JT is declining, that says a lot.

View attachment 773609

View attachment 773612

Matthews has recorded 1 goal and 2 assists for 3 points in last 7 games & -5 +/-.

Not only are they not producing and just floating around as the highest paid players in the game but their also defensive liabilities as their +/- shows they get scored against more than they score at ES 5v5.

Keefe won't do it. That would be rocking the boat and he would be canned. He's a stooge. Keefe is collecting money and hoping the players don't let him down. He can't even fix the too many men problem.,

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The ONLY way to make Shanahan accountable is to FIRE him now !!!

He has FAILED to make this team an unstoppable juggernaut, all the while allowing the core to be well overpaid !!! Marner isn't worth Nylanders current salary never mind being over $10M !!!

Treliving was hired without a proper search for a new, and much better GM. I still think his mission is to make our Leafs just respectable enough to NEVER win a Stanley Cup.

Shanahan likely goes right back to working for the NHL after being fired. He still has NEVER moved his family to Toronto. This speaks volumes to me regarding his TRUE commitment to building our Leafs into a real contender. His versions of our Leafs has NEVER played hockey the way he played to much success !!!

JMHO.

His family was here for a period of time. They moved back recently. I was coaching against the youngest daughter for a little while.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd be surprised if they even win 2 games in the first round of the playoffs this season. Obviously, a long way to go still. Plenty of time to get their shit together.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

He has FAILED to make this team an unstoppable juggernaut, all the while allowing the core to be well overpaid !!! Marner isn't worth Nylanders current salary never mind being over $10M !!!

Treliving was hired without a proper search for a new, and much better GM. I still think his mission is to make our Leafs just respectable enough to NEVER win a Stanley Cup.

Shanahan likely goes right back to working for the NHL after being fired. He still has NEVER moved his family to Toronto. This speaks volumes to me regarding his TRUE commitment to building our Leafs into a real contender. His versions of our Leafs has NEVER played hockey the way he played to much success !!!

JMHO.
wonder what the reaction would be if he walked in the Blue Goose Tavern today???????

myleafs

May 25, 2021
His versions of our Leafs has NEVER played hockey the way he played to much success !!!

JMHO.
The thought of the leafs being made in the image of what kind of player Shanny was had me excited, but its pretty clear he has changed. I was thinking we were getting our version of Cam Neely in charge but instead we got Alexander Semin.

• Haha
Reactions: Al14

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Here's the Leafs' biggest problem: why aren't Matthews and Marner in the top 10 in NHL scoring despite making all that money?

Matthews got his big money again, now Marner is rubbing his hands together for his next contract.
The only “rubbing his hands together” motion that Marner should be doing right now is the Oliver Twist way in begging for more broth and soup. Because there’s no way he’s worth anywhere near 10 million per year.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
His family was here for a period of time. They moved back recently. I was coaching against the youngest daughter for a little while.
Brian told me Brendan comes back in summers only and he takes his whole family and his mom Rose up to his cottage in Muskoka .. he has a condo right next to MLSE offices .. I only see Brendan occasionally at Scotia at some home games .. interesting he moved back from NYC for awhile .. it would be a good idear for him to live here .. i thought he was in NYC for his wife's career .. he married one of his teammates wives who was into acting .. it was why he was moved out of STL

Reactions: Al14

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

View attachment 773609

View attachment 773612

Not only are they not producing and just floating around as the highest paid players in the game but their also defensive liabilities as their +/- shows they get scored against more than they score at ES 5v5.
People made a huge fuss about this when it was a 1.3 million dollar 4th liner but are pretty quiet when it comes to this 20+ mil duo.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

JMHO.
He really isn’t

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Brian told me Brendan comes back in summers only and he takes his whole family and his mom Rose up to his cottage in Muskoka .. he has a condo right next to MLSE offices .. I only see Brendan occasionally at Scotia at some home games .. interesting he moved back from NYC for awhile .. it would be a good idear for him to live here .. i thought he was in NYC for his wife's career .. he married one of his teammates wives who was into acting .. it was why he was moved out of STL

I believe they are back now in the US for the last two years. He was here for a bit when the kids were in school. I think once the older two graduated they moved back.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
To be fair, about 10 days ago they were both in or near the top 10 in scoring. Meanwhile, a month ago literally everyone on this board was fawning over Matthews' greatness. I would put very good money on: (a) both Matthews and Marner being in the top 10 in scoring by the end of the season; and (2) everyone here once again loving Matthews.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Don’t know what it takes to motivate this team but somebody better figure it out soon.
At this point, I think it would take someone of Mark Messier’s stature to go in that dressing room and straighten things out. But Shanahan wouldn’t allow that to happen. It would hurt the two prima donnas’ feelings.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Pretty solid game by both teams. Just couldn't put it past Jarry.

On to the next.
This team is not that good. Both games in Sweden we were the rested team, yet we barely managed to win. In the Wild game, they had just played less than 24 hours before they played us, were down by two in the 3rd period (I think), and came back to tie it and send it to overtime. And these last two games have done nothing to make me feel any different.

Reactions: Cleetus

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Marner peaked and is declining. He is positively slower as well
Matthews declined last season and looks about the same (still generational level goal scorer) but Marner is not helping him much this season
Nylander keeps getting better. This year Nylander even has JT looking pretty damn great and considering JT is declining, that says a lot.

Keefe won't do it. That would be rocking the boat and he would be canned. He's a stooge. Keefe is collecting money and hoping the players don't let him down. He can't even fix the too many men problem.,
Keefe is Shanny’s yes man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad