Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 | BREAK UP MATTHEWS AND MARNER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
His family was here for a period of time. They moved back recently. I was coaching against the youngest daughter for a little while.
Great, thanks for the update.

However, I don't understand why he has been commuting back and forth to New Jersey so often and for so long?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What do you mean it’s on Tre?
Sounds like he is ignoring the fact that Tre was brought in after Shanahan assured the guys they would not be traded. So he is just in s position where he has to navigate this with NMCs in effect. He got Matthews signed though.

Reactions: francis246

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
The reactionary stuff is wild why? We got cost 2 points cause our brand new 13.5 highest paid player in the league and soon-to-be highest paid winger in the league just straight up decide it's not a game worth showing to. This has been a recording for most of this season.
It's wild because you could look at most teams and do the same thing. I agree AM has been off and Marner looks off but getting angry about it in a short sample size isn't going to help anything. If Matthews scores 2 next game and Marner goes 3 points what does that change? It's a long season. If you watch the game and get angry when they don't win or players don't perform every game that makes for a longggggg year. Trust me, I've been there in the past. All good either way, I understand your concern. It's a piss off, bigtime. Let's hope we get the top line production in the next few games.

Not to mention 5 regulation wins in 19 games over a primarily soft schedule.

Before the season many predicted the Leafs would run away with the division and possibly win the President's Trophy.

Now they're telling others not to overreact. :laugh:
haha I was never the one to say they would run away with the division. It's just wild how people get mad game after game on the whole about things. We are allowed to have some positivity lol.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sounds like he is ignoring the fact that Tre was brought in after Shanahan assured the guys they would not be traded. So he is just in s position where he has to navigate this with NMCs in effect. He got Matthews signed though.

THANK YOU! I don’t get why people are ignoring this fact. Shanahan is the problem. He completely handcuffed Tre and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the main point of contention between Shanahan and Kyle. I honestly believe Kyle was finally ready to trade one of these guys. Shanahan said no, so Kyle tried to go to the board and explain why and that’s why he wanted more power.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Okay, I thought he was saying that what is currently going on is Tre's fault.

Great, thanks for the update.

However, I don't understand why he has been commuting back and forth to New Jersey so often and for so long?
Wouldn't it be awesome if he left and signed with New Jersey?! That would make my day!

Reactions: Al14

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
THANK YOU! I don’t get why people are ignoring this fact. Shanahan is the problem. He completely handcuffed Tre and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the main point of contention between Shanahan and Kyle. I honestly believe Kyle was finally ready to trade one of these guys. Shanahan said no, so Kyle tried to go to the board and explain why and that’s why he wanted more power.
I 100% agree with you. I never cared much for Dubas, but now it seems crystal clear that Shanahan has been the one behind keeping this core intact. Shanahan is quite the politician, he makes all the final decisions and yet keeps himself out of the spotlight. He can't be gone soon enough for me!!!

I’ve been hearing that since the seventies, here’s a tip, don’t hold your breathe………
I totally agree with you!!! Good one!!!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe try Mitch with Domi and Robertson and move Jankrok up with Matty and Knies .. I would NOT change up our only line which is consistently producing .. it should provide more balance in our lineup and keep our guys more well rested during a long season .. Keefer always says he wants 3 producing lines so lets give it a shot Keefer

Reactions: francis246

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Seems like some of you guys forgot that the struggles with Matthews and Marner go back to last year. Swapping Nylander and Marner was the solution that brought us on winning streaks multiple times last year. However 1 bad game or period and we go right back to M&M

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Maybe try Mitch with Domi and Robertson and move Jankrok up with Matty and Knies .. I would NOT change up our only line which is consistently producing .. it should provide more balance in our lineup and keep our guys more well rested during a long season .. Keefer always says he wants 3 producing lines so lets give it a shot Keefer

That would be my suggestion as well.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

What are your thoughts, on what appears to be a lack of heart, and drive from some of these guys?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I agree just hate to blow up that line since it’s rolling
i don't think he's suggesting breaking them up, so much as acknowledging the fact that the Bert-JT-Willy line is the de facto #1 line.

I'd like to see:

Bert-JT-Willy
Knies-Matty-Jarn
Robbie-Domi-Mitch

However, I suspect Keefe will swap Mitch and Willy rather than Mitch and Jarnkrok.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Marner should have been with JT from the start, he makes JT better and covers up the defensive side.
Knies is not a 1st line winger (yet) he holds onto the puck too much, and makes too many bad passes in the offensive zone.
I'd like to see Domi on Matthews left, with Nylander. Domi is a great passer, and the defense cant just shadow Matthews with Nylander also on the ice.
Jarnkrok was a C, let him have a chance at the #3C spot

Domi - Matthews - Nylander
Bert - JT - Marner
Knies - Jarnkrok - Robertson

we also need to get rid of Kampf if he cant win faceoffs any more. ...i dont know what happened with this team in the Dot, but Kampf has been a disaster, and he's Keefe's goto guy in the defensive zone faceoff dot.
it's just poor coaching when you keep doing the same thing and it keeps failing.

Keefe needs to go too.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
What's the cause behind the lack of production in Marner's eyes?

"Just not getting the puck with a whole lot of speed and myself moving," he said on Monday. "Not really trusting my abilities out there, so it's something that needs to change and you've just got to trust it."

And how does he get through a stretch like this?

"Breathing, relaxing, realizing [the offense] will come. If you force stuff, that's when you'll get more frustrated, more mad. Just gotta trust your instincts, trust your game, and I've been in the spots before multiple times in my career, so it's just making sure I'm relaxed, calm and steady out there, and just doing what I love."

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

"Just not getting the puck with a whole lot of speed and myself moving," he said on Monday. "Not really trusting my abilities out there, so it's something that needs to change and you've just got to trust it."

"Breathing, relaxing, realizing [the offense] will come. If you force stuff, that's when you'll get more frustrated, more mad. Just gotta trust your instincts, trust your game, and I've been in the spots before multiple times in my career, so it's just making sure I'm relaxed, calm and steady out there, and just doing what I love."

I'm not a big fan of players that admit to all of this. Oddly it seems he and McDavid are in similar mindsets.

Enough psychoanalysis already is all I would say. That and if you keep playing like this, you are never leaving Edmonton McDavid. Marner if you keep playing like this you are going to be playing for Edmonton.

Should do it.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

He just needs to get rid of the shambles in his brain. Lol

Reactions: BallardEra

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What are your thoughts, on what appears to be a lack of heart, and drive from some of these guys?
Looks to me like a vet team where 1 guy got married and did not do any training this summer .. but JT actually lost weight and looks much faster .. Willy is progressing every year what can you say but bravo .. Matty came into camp in shape but he clearly does not get up for every game .. i am not really worried about this team up front or in net .. by worries are almost entirely focused on its D core .. and it needs vast improvements for playoff type hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce