Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 2-1 (SO)

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Andersen is horrendous in shootouts as are the forwards. It's a shame that a skills individual competition decides who wins and who loses the game. Pretty f***ing stupid if you ask me.

Rittich is an average goaltender based on his statistics over the last 3-4 years. Leafs made him look like a Vezina trophy candidate.

That's about all that can be said. Good game by the Leafs, shitty OT, shittier shootout.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Well we definitely deserved a point tonight so good on them for figuring out a way to tie it. Rittich was sensational. Reminiscent of that Georgiev performance last year.

Reactions: glue

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Really hated the Tavares assignment to start OT. You're better off with Kerfoot and Engvall or a pair that can actually win a foot race. Just put the Leafs into a defensive posture for 2 minutes.

It's almost like Keefe needs to design game situations for Tavares to be used optimally. Open ice is not his friend.

Reactions: MJK and Dave92

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I thought they gang played 3 really strong periods and, obviously, deserved a better fate. Glad we snagged a point. Heck of a game by Rittich.

Reactions: saffronleaf

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I
Why did Keefe break up our top two lines to promote Johnsson? They were on fire. They got 0 goals at 5v5 so it's safe to say it wasn't a beneficial change
I normally love Keefe but he made a few confusing decisions. In OT I don't like how he started Tavares... We needed speed bad and if Tavares doesn't win the draw he's not getting the puck back in 3v3.

Reactions: EXPECT THE LEAFS

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
That overtime sucked ass, 90% skating in circles killing time to get to the boring shootout. Smart given the situation by Calgary but terrible to watch.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
So is 34 ok? 91 played that last shoft with 16 in OT. Whats with that? He got dumped in the corner right before that. Someone say hes ok.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Matthews not going to sleep well tonight.

This is how good teams lose. Brush it off and onto the next one.

Reactions: glue

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Thought the Leafs played quite well, one of our tighter games defensively. Considering who we're missing on the blueline, that's a big plus.

Unbelievable goaltending in the other net, we win that game in regulation 90% of the time against a human goalie.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Really hated the Tavares assignment to start OT. You're better off with Kerfoot and Engvall or a pair that can actually win a foot race. Just put the Leafs into a defensive posture for 2 minutes.
Keefe should've started Matthews, who was clearly determined to get a goal. Tavares is a good player but he's not exactly suited to overtime

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Calgary had a brick wall. We will take the point in a non divisional opponent.

Hyman penalty was BS when you have Tchachuk make headlines trying to end Kassians Career. DoPS a joke.

We need to make a move in RHD LHD and
G

Dubas you listening?

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I ABSOLUTELY HATE ANDERSEN.

No clutch at all ... I knew 100% they were going to win that shootout ...
he is one of the least clutch goalies in the league. always chokes under pressure or big games. he will again this year in playoffs too, like i always said he is not the type of goalie you go on a cup run with.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its actually astonishing the delusion some posters have built up in their heads. Yes, Andersen hasn't been great in prior games. But, today, he allowed one goal on a tip from 2 feet away, and then 1 goal on 3 shootout attempts. Yes, Rittich played better, anyone trying to put this on Andersen should give their head a shake. I guess when you enter every game with a preconceived notion, its hard to accept reality.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It’s mental with Andersen. He just doesn’t have the killer competitiveness to say “I’m going to be the better goalie”

Before the game tonight, his save percentage was a meager .910%. Those are numbers you'd expect from a backup goaltender. He is just an average goaltender who gets his hot streaks sometimes. He'll never be mistaken for an elite goaltender. Not by me anyway.

Reactions: MJK

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That overtime sucked ass, 90% skating in circles killing time to get to the boring shootout. Smart given the situation by Calgary but terrible to watch.
They need to implement that back court violation rule where you can't take the puck back past centre ice in OT. It's taking away from the excitement of 3v3

Reactions: hockeyes

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keefe should've started Matthews, who was clearly determined to get a goal. Tavares is a good player but he's not exactly suited to overtime

They should have an honest chat with him and suggest that he never play OT again. His foot speed is pretty bad and completely ill suited for a track meet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad