Leafs look to adopt defensive state of mind

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope he can deliver on his defensive message, unlike Wilson.

(Yes, Wilson also preached defense.)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You do realize that a defense first system involves the entire team committing to taking care of their own end right? I look at this system change over like potty training, there's going to be a lot of stinky accidents along the way as players learn how to play defense but I have no doubt we'll get there as a unit.

Okay, so your saying a defense first coach, like say Hitchcock, could go to some team and make a dramatic impact?

Like that has ever happened.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
12-21-2011, 10:24 AM <=== Note this was before they fell apart.

I see a team that skates well.
I see a a team that can dominate against teams that want to exchange opportunities with them.
I see a team that runs around in their own zone.
I see a team that does not know who to cover in the defensive zone.
I see a team with a defense that gets lost and runs out of position chasing puck carriers with no back up for the spots they abandon.
I see forwards standing in the middle of the ice when under pressure reacting slowly to open men on the point.
I see 2 and sometimes 3 players chasing one puck carrier in their own zone.
I see offensive opportunites not capitalized on with no screen and no fighting for garbage goals.
I see a team that loses the puck constantly at their own blue line because they are trying to make offensive plays with the puck in dangerous areas.
I see a PK that cannot clear the puck even on clean wins off the face-off.
I see a team that isn't aware of players on the ice and often have players behind the defense open for uncontested scoring chances.
I see a team that makes player rotations when the puck isn't in a safe position.

I see a young team, without that youth being full of high end talent.

You can change much without changing players by changing how the players play.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I hope he can deliver on his defensive message, unlike Wilson.

(Yes, Wilson also preached defense.)

Vastly different in communication styles between the two. Apparently RC is much more precise in his attention to detail. On a young team that could make all the difference...amongst other things.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Need a goalie for that

Not really. Some goalies look a lot better behind defensive systems, and suck everywhere else. I'd say you really need a good goalie for a run-and-gun system, where you have lots of turn-overs, and the guy is exposed a lot. But when your team is cutting down the angles and keeping the front of the net clear, a lot of ****** goalies can put up respectable numbers.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not really. Some goalies look a lot better behind defensive systems, and suck everywhere else. I'd say you really need a good goalie for a run-and-gun system, where you have lots of turn-overs, and the guy is exposed a lot. But when your team is cutting down the angles and keeping the front of the net clear, a lot of ****** goalies can put up respectable numbers.

Hard to blame a goalie when his own teammates pass empty net tap-ins to the opposition.

Okay, that didn't happen all the time, but as a keeper it has to mess with your mind not knowing what your defense is going to do, or needing binoculars to find the forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad