Leafs look to adopt defensive state of mind

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wonder if Randy Carlyle survives this year, again Nonis inherited him from Burke even though Nonis has history with Randy it doesn't mean he was his choice. Eakins is free to get a coaching gig after this year. If Burke lands elsewhere, you have to wonder if Eakins will be his choice. Or should Nonis who has been basically GM of the Marlies tab Eakins next season.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Wonder if Randy Carlyle survives this year, again Nonis inherited him from Burke even though Nonis has history with Randy it doesn't mean he was his choice. Eakins is free to get a coaching gig after this year. If Burke lands elsewhere, you have to wonder if Eakins will be his choice. Or should Nonis who has been basically GM of the Marlies tab Eakins next season.

Nah, he'll be fired after the first losing streak. Hell, expect an article from Simmons tomorrow claiming we're already looking for a replacement!! You might even be his 'inside source'

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nah, he'll be fired after the first losing streak. Hell, expect an article from Simmons tomorrow claiming we're already looking for a replacement!! You might even be his 'inside source'
It's Toronto man, how can you expect longevity from this team this city? We've had four different team owners, in the same time period New Jersey has had one GM. :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Under Wilson, the Leafs pushed the pace, took risks, scored plenty of goals and often left the goaltenders at the mercy of the opposition. While still demanding aggression, Carlyle will tame down the level of risky behaviour. During a pair of on-ice sessions at Mastercard Centre on Sunday, the Leafs coach put his team through a full course load of defensive zone coverage.

Carlyle is known to be demanding of his players, especially in regards to effort and especially from his top players. Accountability became an issue under Wilson and stands to be a challenge for Carlyle, notably with Phil Kessel, who faltered at points under Claude Julien in Boston, a similar-minded coach to Carlyle.

This is the challenge, how long till Kessel gets frustrated if we are not winning and he is restricted to score, is it Boston all over again or will Phil be mature enough now to handle it now?

Ron Wilson*

You think we're going to take your coaching advice now Ron Wilson? :laugh:

Just joking, nice post. And welcome to the Leafs forum.

Thanks for the welcome. I tried my best. The game changed right before our eyes. Golfing and a few million buckaroos in the bank helps ease the pain.

Looking forward to communing with my fellow Maple Leaf fans.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
People are really short-sighted. I hear complaints that we don't have the "player personnel" or the "goalie" to play a defensive system. So I'll just say go look at Mike Smith in Phoenix. He went from mediocre goalie to Vezina candidate in 1 year, I wonder why? Or how Bryzgalov went from superstar goalie to crap in the same time-frame. Look at NJD, they have a no-name D-core and got to the finals. All it really takes is for the coach to implement a proper defensive system and to get the team to buy into it.

Most of our players have already shown a commitment to improve defensively, it only helps that they now have a coach that wants to do the same thing. Could our roster use improvements, absolutely! I'm not trying to argue that, just that not all is hopeless.

Leafs For Life*

This is the challenge, how long till Kessel gets frustrated if we are not winning and he is restricted to score, is it Boston all over again or will Phil be mature enough now to handle it now?

If you are talking about the contract situation, it was that he wanted his well-deserved money, but Boston had others to pay so they unloaded him, it is not the same as being restricted to score.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
People are really short-sighted. I hear complaints that we don't have the "player personnel" or the "goalie" to play a defensive system. So I'll just say go look at Mike Smith in Phoenix. He went from mediocre goalie to Vezina candidate in 1 year, I wonder why? Or how Bryzgalov went from superstar goalie to crap in the same time-frame. Look at NJD, they have a no-name D-core and got to the finals. All it really takes is for the coach to implement a proper defensive system and to get the team to buy into it.

Most of our players have already shown a commitment to improve defensively, it only helps that they now have a coach that wants to do the same thing. Could our roster use improvements, absolutely! I'm not trying to argue that, just that not all is hopeless.

While what you say is true, it doesn't take away from the fact that Reimer looked pretty bad last season. He struggled with rebound control, his decisions with the puck behind the net were dreadful, as usual, and he continued his tendency to drop to his prayer stance with the patented shoulder shrug before the shot was released. It may have been a sophomore slump, or post-concussion syndromes, or whatever you want to call it, but there were signs of these flaws in his rookie season before the league "figured him out".

A solid defensive system will no doubt help him, but it will essentially be covering up his flaws as much as the team can. Hopefully he shows improvements in his play when the puck drops and Luongo is still far away from the city of Toronto.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
If you are talking about the contract situation, it was that he wanted his well-deserved money, but Boston had others to pay so they unloaded him, it is not the same as being restricted to score.

Indeed. If the Leafs offered him half of what he was worth, I have no doubts he'd want out of Toronto, as well.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Great coaches develop a system to fit their roster. They don't shoe-horn players into a system that doesn't fit them.

I guess we'll see what kind of coach Carlyle is.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Great coaches develop a system to fit their roster. They don't shoe-horn players into a system that doesn't fit them.

I guess we'll see what kind of coach Carlyle is.

The most telling clue was when Beauchamin got traded back to the Ducks, and Carlyle told him that he wouldn't be forced to pinch like he was in TO. He instantly got transformed into a serviceable defenseman.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I wonder what Kessel and Grabo think? Both guys like to lead lone ranger rushes up ice, can't see them dumping the puck in and hanging high, playing trap. Run and gun padding stats system no more.

Here's a question, with Kessel having 2 more years left, if we bomb again this year do you think it would a good idea to maybe see if a team is interested in him at the trade deadline or in the summer? We could probably get a boatload for him. I highly doubt he wants to be here when we are consistently in the basement and like I said he's a free agent in two years and is going to get a raise from the 5.4 million he makes. Although in saying all of this we will have a ton of cap space.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

Of course he'll survive this shortened season! Nonis is not going to can a guy w/3 years left on his deal, do you realize how bad that would look that soon after being signed he's fired? No NHL coach in his right mind would want to come here, really some food for thought. Ok, lets say they do fire him who exactly comes in and coaches? There isn't much out there and I don't know if they bring up Eakins when he's doing such an excellent job with the Marlies.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I love the people who say we will fail. There will be trial and error but at the end of the day this is how it has to be. I have absolute faith that with enough practice we will learn the Carlyle system. Even if we fail what is the worst that could happen? Mackinnon? Jones? Other very good draft pick? I really don't see how we lose here...

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I love the people who say we will fail. There will be trial and error but at the end of the day this is how it has to be. I have absolute faith that with enough practice we will learn the Carlyle system. Even if we fail what is the worst that could happen? Mackinnon? Jones? Other very good draft pick? I really don't see how we lose here...

This is exactly what I've been saying to Canuck fans when they say we HAVE to make the playoffs this year, it is utter non sense. The only thing that would be a disappointment would be finishing 9th or 10th. If we make the playoffs with our young club then great! if we fall hard then we end up with another blue chipper which will only allow us to continue to build. You add in possibly Mackinnon or Jones, Drouin to Rielly, Gardiner,Kadri, and the rest of our prospect pool then we start to see some legit hope.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Of course he'll survive this shortened season! Nonis is not going to can a guy w/3 years left on his deal, do you realize how bad that would look that soon after being signed he's fired? No NHL coach in his right mind would want to come here, really some food for thought. Ok, lets say they do fire him who exactly comes in and coaches? There isn't much out there and I don't know if they bring up Eakins when he's doing such an excellent job with the Marlies.

1. Carlyle will get at least the season, if we have a terrible season and Nonis wants to bring in Eakins, then he can fire Carlyle saying he wants to bring his own guy for the immediate future.

2. If Burke was to hire Carlyle, and then fire him, like now, then I can see some coaches not really wanting to come here. However, since it's a new GM, no one can blame him for bringing in his own guy, after giving the guy he "inherited" a chance, no one can really blame him.

3. Eakins is doing a great job with the Marlies, he may be the best coach in the AHL. Well guess what, those guys don't stay in the AHL too long. Considering some people thought Eakins was gone last off-season before he signed the extension, it's hard to imagine an NHL team doesn't give him a look

Just IMO

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
To win the 1:1 puck battles, you need the players who are willing and capable to do that. Players are going to have to get out of their comfort zone and try to do things they may not do ordinarily. I think that rarely works as you can use all the zebra stripes analogies you want, a player has developed into what he is from a very young age. We could see some shocking moves at the end of the week.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's good to hear...but...

We don't have particularly strong D defensively
We don't have good goaltending
Our top 6 doesn't have many good two-way players. It's not like we have a top 6 line anchored by the likes of Backes, Bergeron, Kesler, M. Richards, M. Koivu, Toews, Datsyuk, etc etc. Grabo is our best "two-way" forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad