News Article: Leafs land Bernier, but Flyers reportedly offered Matt Read

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Or he could be packed for another 1st

Meh. Is an extra first really better than Bernier? Bernier is already NHL ready and we have seen at the very least that he has the ability to compete in this league. It has yet to be seen whether or not he will be this top-level starter some think he can, but we know that he can at least play in the NHL and hang around. The draft pick, unless it was a pretty high one, would seem to be just as big a gamble, if not a bigger gamble than going with Bernier.

I guess my question is, if you would trade Read for a first, why would you not trade him for Bernier?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think the Leafs got Bernier because of their ability to send a back up as well as 500K in cap relief. We have the cap space to give them a bit of relief...and that might be all they need to re-sign Scuderi.

IIRC, Lombardi said he wanted Frattin 2 years ago when he came out of college...so he has had his eyes on him for a while.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Apparently Frattin and a late 2nd is more Valuable than Read. If that's the case, I really hope they dont trade Read this offseason.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Apparently Frattin and a late 2nd is more Valuable than Read. If that's the case, I really hope they dont trade Read this offseason.

That is according to the Kings though. Every team is different. Someone just posted that DL was interested in Frattin since his NCAA days. It is not unthinkable that someone has a difference of opinion on two players who have played in under 150 games each.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
That is according to the Kings though. Every team is different. Someone just posted that DL was interested in Frattin since his NCAA days. It is not unthinkable that someone has a difference of opinion on two players who have played in under 150 games each.

It's cool. We all know how good Read is. I would rather keep him anyway.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Meh. Is an extra first really better than Bernier? Bernier is already NHL ready and we have seen at the very least that he has the ability to compete in this league. It has yet to be seen whether or not he will be this top-level starter some think he can, but we know that he can at least play in the NHL and hang around. The draft pick, unless it was a pretty high one, would seem to be just as big a gamble, if not a bigger gamble than going with Bernier.

I guess my question is, if you would trade Read for a first, why would you not trade him for Bernier?

I would, just not Read plus 2013 2nd. I said package Read for a 1st but I never said what package. I wouldn't want to include the 2013 2nd either unless it's draft day and someone good was still hanging around. Furthermore I'm not convinced Bernier will ever be more then what he is now considering he is 25. I know goalies are different/take a little longer and he's been blocked in LA so I'll just say it's a feeling.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Overall happy we didn't trade a lot for bernier but can anyone tell me how what Toronto paid compared to read? I'm not familiar with fratin.

People here in Toronto LOVE Frattin. It's not just that Frattin and Scrivens went to LA, it's the 2nd and also the $500k the leafs are taking back. That cap space may be enough to re-sign Scuderi. They will be up tight against the cap but that money can make or break the signing.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
The fact they offered him makes me think they are just gonna unload him before the season starts, hopefully thats not the case. Really like Matt Read and hope he is a part of the team going forward.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would, just not Read plus 2013 2nd. I said package Read for a 1st but I never said what package. I wouldn't want to include the 2013 2nd either unless it's draft day and someone good was still hanging around. Furthermore I'm not convinced Bernier will ever be more then what he is now considering he is 25. I know goalies are different/take a little longer and he's been blocked in LA so I'll just say it's a feeling.

Fair enough.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Backup goalies like Scrivens are a dime and dozen. Most Toronto fans hated Scrivens.

Although I agree Scrivens is your run-of-the-mill backup, he certainly was not hated over here. He was a good team player, and even solid at times, but definitely not a starter.

He'll do fine playing 7-10 games behind Quick, for sure. If there is anything I won't miss from "Scrivy" is his handling of the puck - he's just as brutal as Quick, and now they may have the worst stick handling tandem in the league (if not the history of the NHL) next year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Backup goalies like Scrivens are a dime and dozen. Most Toronto fans hated Scrivens.

Scrivens is better than any backup we've had as of late. He's 26 and has been solid in his short NHL career. I'd love to have Scrivens as a backup (if we had a legit starter, that is).

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The fact they offered him makes me think they are just gonna unload him before the season starts, hopefully thats not the case. Really like Matt Read and hope he is a part of the team going forward.

Matt Read has a few things that most of the others players on the team dont bring. He can play ANYWHERE (well except defense and goalie ;) ) and not look out of place. He looked good when on Giroux's wing and even on Couturiers. He can play the PP, PK, center, RW, LW, anything really and NOT look bad doing it. Read might not be flashy but when he is out there you dont get worries he is gonna suck because honestly, he is pretty consistent out there inregards to not making boneheaded mistakes. He is smart in that sense.

From the beginning when he was signed and I saw him play in the AHL people here were laughing when the 3-4 of us said he would make the team. He just looked and played right in Lavy's system. Guess thats one of the reasons why I think Raffl has a good shot. I didnt see him play like Read but most accounts are he plays very similar (Raffl is faster but not "overall good" like Read). If Raffl made the team I think I might be the only one that guessed it haha.

That being said though, if an offer came by, I'd be up for it if its good enough. If someone is offering the 15th or so I'd probably jump on that because I do believe that there might be atleast ONE young guy (from the likes of McGinn, Akeson, Noebels, Flanagan, Straka, Raffl, etc) that could step in and play well in a #9 roll. Not up to Read's standards but maybe good enough.

Baring some extreme luck and offseason moves, I think the team will make the playoffs, but I dont think they will win it.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Could be a blessing in disguise. Some people do not realize how much this teams needs versatile two-way forwards like Matt Read to succeed.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Could be a blessing in disguise. Some people do not realize how much this teams needs versatile two-way forwards like Matt Read to succeed.
To succeed in not winning a stanley cup before he departs as a UFA?

I hope we can re-sign him to be part of something in 3 years.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
The Reimer proposals make me want to shoot myself.

Honestly starting to hate the Leafs based off of the Reimer/Gardiner valuations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad