3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would have liked to have gotten Bernier, but I didn't want to pay the price. I also didn't want to go into the season with two unprovens.

This is one of the many things that fall into the category of "indifferent" for me that has been talked about this offseason. I would have given up a similar package to get Bernier (which would have included giving up Read), but I am not disappointed that we missed out on him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would have tried to get the deal done for Bernier mainly because I don't want to lose Read for nothing after the season. Hopefully we re-sign him to a fair contract that makes everyone happy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Calgary and Columbus have 1sts to spare, but I don't really want to trade with CBJ now they're in the division.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The only way I see Read signing at a reasonable number is extending him for say 5 years. We can back load the contract or front load it somewhat.

5 year deal for 19 million. Gives him more guaranteed over the tenure while protecting himself fro injuries. Pretty much what every agent and player have to discuss when signing short term or long term deals. That deal would give him a 3.8 average on the cap. I could see us being able to fit that under our cap. Especially after this year when we can hopefully put some ELC contracts on defense and/or offense.

Also I have said before, if you look to get a 1st for Read, look no further than Calgary. They love him and were trying to sign him with us.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Dissapointed they didnt land Bernier but glad Holmgren didnt overpay. im guessing Read and the 11th OV would of likely got it done. Oh well, time to move on. Not crazy about paying that price for Halak either.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Dissapointed they didnt land Bernier but glad Holmgren didnt overpay. im guessing Read and the 11th OV would of likely got it done. Oh well, time to move on. Not crazy about paying that price for Halak either.

Halak won't cost much at all. I honestly see them trading Elliot to Phoenix actually. I have come to realize there is two fan bases that are tough to deal with here(not named Toronto). Those two are Anaheim and St Louis. Halak wasn't even their starter in the playoffs, but they want good value back for him? He had a problem with Hitch also. They literally might just trade him to get him out of the organization.

Hiller would also be another option, but again he is on a tough fanbase to have talks with. Hiller for Mez+conditional 3nd in 2014(conditional only if Mez plays 65-70 games). I would target Hiller first above all, but then the door is wide open.

Also thank god only GM's have to make deals and not fan bases on here, because it is extremely funny how people over rate their own players and especially prospects. This is not excluding our fan base either. Best case example of this is Zucker in Minny.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

There would have been a riot if he traded Read and the 11th.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Halak won't cost much at all. I honestly see them trading Elliot to Phoenix actually. I have come to realize there is two fan bases that are tough to deal with here(not named Toronto). Those two are Anaheim and St Louis. Halak wasn't even their starter in the playoffs, but they want good value back for him? He had a problem with Hitch also. They literally might just trade him to get him out of the organization.

Hiller would also be another option, but again he is on a tough fanbase to have talks with. Hiller for Mez+conditional 3nd in 2014(conditional only if Mez plays 65-70 games). I would target Hiller first above all, but then the door is wide open.

Also thank god only GM's have to make deals and not fan bases on here, because it is extremely funny how people over rate their own players and especially prospects. This is not excluding our fan base either. Best case example of this is Zucker in Minny.

He may not, but I am not sure if I want Halak just to rid ourselves of Bryzgalov. While I do want Bryz to be shown the door I would rather get a more stable option in goal. Getting Halak would mean we could be looking for 2 goaltenders if Mason doesnt work out and Halak decides to bolt next summer.

There would have been a riot if he traded Read and the 11th.

I would of done Read and the 41st actually. I am guessing LA wanted the forward back they could have some control over. Frattin will be a RFA next summer, Read a UFA.
I still feel they should deal Read as I am not confident they can get him resigned next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad