Proposal: Leafs- Isles

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
That's not going to happen.

The JVR ship has sailed now that we have Ladd.

I guess my idea was that if Isles get JVR in that trade, they can then use Lee and Nelson in a package to get a RW if they dont use De Haan in the trade, or if they do use De Haan, use a LW to get another dman. Just really enticed by a top 6 of Ladd-JT-PAP JVR - Strome - ???

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This thread should be more about Halak to TOR than anything.

If they didnt want to spend that money on Bernier, why would they spend more money on Halak? Anderson is their starter, Berube would be a perfect backup for them because he also is young and has future potential, while being cheap.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
if Toronto is trading jvr im guessing its going to be for a upgrade on defense. They have a surplus of forwards and a lack of quality defensemen

I'd actually rather hold on to JVR.

The packages aren't really attractive and he's still young, productive, and adds a net presence on the PP. He can still be a piece in our rebuild.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So you have no interest in De Haan, a first round pick or Michael Dal Colle?

No.

Our left side is currently looking good with Rielly and Gardiner.

I'd rather have a legit 30/30 guy in JVR on a sweetheart contract then a mystery box or a prospect who has struggled since being drafted. Plus we have tons of wingers.

We'd basically be looking to find a guy just like JVR the moment we trade him, if he's used in a package to grab a top 2-4 right handed defenseman then there is interest.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I might have exaggerated, but anyone thinking Dal Colle will be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL is kidding themselves

In 2015/2016 the NHL had 28 - 30 goal scorers with 10 just hitting 30 on the nose.
In 2014/2015 the NHL had 15 - 30 goal scorers.
You make 30 seem like everyone does it or at least it is very achievable.

30 is the new 40 .

When you say dal colle will be a 30 goal scorer do you mean consistently or that he will never hit that mark even one time? You know , like your 30 goal man JVR , who has done it exactly one time .
Keep your player. He will help the leafs. You can't trade all the vets. When you realize that all the kids are not NHL ready so quickly you will need JVR.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
So you have no interest in De Haan, a first round pick or Michael Dal Colle?

Not a bad offer, but I'd still politely decline.

1. JVR plays LW - a position we aren't necessarily deep in high end talent.
2. JVR is really solid in front of the net on the PP.
3. He's also young enough to still factor in on our rebuild.

I'd be interested in Pulock because he's a RHD. He's also a Leafs fan, especially because his late brother really wanted him to play for us. Would be a very sweet story, and he's a solid player to boot.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Not a bad offer, but I'd still politely decline.

1. JVR plays LW - a position we aren't necessarily deep in high end talent.
2. JVR is really solid in front of the net on the PP.
3. He's also young enough to still factor in on our rebuild.

I'd be interested in Pulock because he's a RHD. He's also a Leafs fan, especially because his late brother really wanted him to play for us. Would be a very sweet story, and he's a solid player to boot.

Well then why give up assets for him? Clearly he's going to sign in Toronto first chance he gets :sarcasm:

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Which I don't understand considering his monster finish after he was traded to Kingston.

Finishing the season with a 1.83 ppg with Kingston isn't exactly a "monster finish", especially as a draft +2 aged player, going up against the other teams' second pairings (Crouse took the tough matchups on the first line). Oshawa was counting on him to step it up and lead the team after their older players graduated, and he failed to deliver. The Islanders fan saying his value is still a top 10 draft pick is quite frankly out to lunch.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Finishing the season with a 1.83 ppg with Kingston isn't exactly a "monster finish", especially as a draft +2 aged player, going up against the other teams' second pairings (Crouse took the tough matchups on the first line). Oshawa was counting on him to step it up and lead the team after their older players graduated, and he failed to deliver. The Islanders fan saying his value is still a top 10 draft pick is quite frankly out to lunch.

Uhhh, 1.83 is pretty incredible, even in a +2 season. Don't want to have to spend the time digging through stats to find examples, but as one comparable that was better than Domi put up in his +2 season for London last year (1.78).

Only 5 players had > 1.83 PPG in the OHL this season, and 3 of them were on the same line (Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk; other 2 were Strome and Kevin Lablanc).

If you wanna point to his struggles in the first half, fine. But he was without a doubt one of the very top players in the league for Kingston.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Uhhh, 1.83 is pretty incredible, even in a +2 season. Don't want to have to spend the time digging through stats to find examples, but as one comparable that was better than Domi put up in his +2 season for London last year (1.78).

Only 5 players had > 1.83 PPG in the OHL this season, and 3 of them were on the same line (Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk; other 2 were Strome and Kevin Lablanc).

If you wanna point to his struggles in the first half, fine. But he was without a doubt one of the very top players in the league for Kingston.

Dal Colles ppg for last year was 1.28. Could probably find quite a few more players at 1.83 if you only use 30 game sample sizes.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Do the Leafs even want a good backup at this point?

The only goal with their next backup should be as low a salary cap hit as possible.

Trading JVR for a backup-centred package is mind boggling to me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bad start to the year, then elite production after being traded.

His value has dropped to the keyboard warriors that look at total points, but to the GMs actually paying attention he's likely still valued in the top-ten draft pick range.
I think people are overly harsh on his stock, but even most Isles fans around these parts seem to be higher on Barzal, who would be a fringe top 10 pick in a re-draft. While this was around the time of his slump and being cut, Button had him at 49, THN at 46 and Pronman at 45. Just looking at the 2014 draft, I don't see how he could be valued as a top 10 pick. You'd think the guys drafted ahead of him stay ahead of him, and you'd think Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin, Fabbri and Pastrnak have clearly passed him, while Virtanen, Ritchie, Fiala, Vrana, Sanheim and Honka, probably go ahead. Then he's in a group with guys like Kapenan, Milano, Fluery, McCann etc.

I'd also had, while he bounced back from a very rough stretch, the way Kingston got knocked out and him not looking great in the AHL took away some of the positivity people saw with Kingston. If Leafs are trading JVR, they probably want a package built around Pulock or Barzal.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
backup goalie, cap dump, and 20ish pick for JVR.

terrible.

MDC + and the leafs think about it

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If they didnt want to spend that money on Bernier, why would they spend more money on Halak? Anderson is their starter, Berube would be a perfect backup for them because he also is young and has future potential, while being cheap.

yes, and thats worth maybe a 5th or 6th, not JVR.
bailey is negaive value. a pick in the 20 range isnt close

I know the isles dont wanna do barzal, so dal colle + a decent piece may work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad