Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Islanders, Oct 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
People need to get a grip! This **** doesn't happen over night.

Pittsburgh for instance;

2002 finished 5th in Atlantic with 69 points...picked 5th got Ryan Whitney
2003 finished 5th in Atlantic with 65 points...picked 1st got Marc Andre Fleury
2004 finished 5th in Atlantic with 58 points

YES 58 POINTS...THEY ARE ACTUALLY TRENDING DOWN HAVING JUST PICKED FIRST OVERALL!??!!!! WTF?!

Anyways picked second overall, scored Malkin.

So now they have Whitney, Fleury and Malkin! How did they do THREE full years into rebuild???

THEY FINISHED DEAD LAST FELLAS!

2005 Finished 5th in the Atlantic again with 58 points!!! Wooo hoooo!!!! Picked first overall and scored Crosby.

We are technically in year 2 of the rebuild.

I think we are progressing along just fine.
I'm pretty sure they didn't win a game in 2005.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
JVR and Bozak shouldn't be on a line together
A black hole defensively

Getting tired of bozak.

I have been for a few years

Dating back to the Kessel days, the Bozak-JVR combo has been a complete disaster in the defensive zone. JVR is nonchalant on the boards and Bozak tends to miss his assignments more often than not. Another issue is that they rely too heavily on rush chances and can rarely get a cycle game going in the offensive zone.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
I'm pretty sure they didn't win a game in 2005.

LOL no **** right.

In fairness though, their entire market depended on their landing Crosby as far as I remember, they were losing money yearly.

I think had Pittsburgh not landed Crosby the team would have been moved/relocated.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I addressed I was posting to the wrong person sorry. One of their greybeards is a first line forward and h.o.f, one of our grey beard is a 7th d man playing as a 5th Dman. our older players a really just empty uniforms is my point.

it was about using a mathematical "average" to determine anything which is the worst for statistical sampling. not to mention what.. our oldest player is 31? which skews the average down further.

A better judgement would be experience weighted by years of playing pro.

As an example.

Marner would have a much younger weighting than Nylander, who's played three years of pro hockey, and also Matthews who's also played in pro hockey. of the three, his was the hardest translation.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
it was about using a mathematical "average" to determine anything which is the worst for statistical sampling. not to mention what.. our oldest player is 31? which skews the average down further.

A better judgement would be experience weighted by years of playing pro.

As an example.

Marner would have a much younger weighting than Nylander, who's played three years of pro hockey, and also Matthews who's also played in pro hockey. of the three, his was the hardest translation.

oh I agree with that. I was just talking about using team x is the youngest team, yet team y core players are younger shows how the average age can't really be used to say a team should/shouldn't use being young as an excuse,

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dating back to the Kessel days, the Bozak-JVR combo has been a complete disaster in the defensive zone. JVR is nonchalant on the boards and Bozak tends to miss his assignments more often than not. Another issue is that they rely too heavily on rush chances and can rarely get a cycle game going in the offensive zone.

He is dreadful. I honestly thought he could be a 3rd line centre going forward but now I'm just hoping we get rid of him by next year.

Its just a bad combination. I don't think JVR will get a free pass anymore on the nights he floats and plays lazy, uninspired hockey. Bozak, I've never been a fan. But at least show some consistent effort out there.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
We're right around where I thought we'd be, around 11th-12th in the conference and likely looking at a puck at around 10th in the draft.
For sure we can get a very good player at that spot, and in a few years he'll be ready to jump in and join our core, which by then will be top 3 in the conference and running some teams out of the building.

It's coming, be patient and enjoy the ride. In Shanny I trust

Mate, we are 27th. :laugh: That's closer to 1st overall than it is 10th.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Since they have no impact they dont matter.

Dead last, last year. We got rid of Phaneuff and Kessel, plus Lupul is more or less gone, but same result. It is now time to let them go, since they no real impact anyway. This has been a little too long coming, me thinks. JVR needs to do up his list. If Kessel can be ridden, who can be sacred? Our dead last vets? Ba~!

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Bozak has been bad. The play dies on his stick. Hopefully they can trade Bozak and Komarov at the TDL while they might still have some value. Although Leo won't if he can't score a freaking goal.

BeLeafer11

Jan 12, 2009
I actually thought the Leafs were playing just fine until that 3rd goal that Enroth caused. Wheels came off at that point.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Big week ahead for the Maple Leafs with Oilers coming to town

Matthews, Marner to play in 10th game ... and your correspondent checks another off his to-do list.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/brea...e-maple-leafs-with-oilers-coming-to-town.html

Big week ahead for the Maple Leafs, who are in the midst of five games in eight nights. Stamina will be an issue, especially for younger players not used to this grind.

Up first is Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers. Happens to be the 10th game of the Leafs season, significant for Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews. Once they play it, they burn a year of their three-year entry level contract. The two will be restricted free agents after the 2018-19 season. Together. Similar contract demands, to be sure. William Nylander will be an RFA following 2017-18, surely to set the contract-demand bar.

For that matter Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, Seth Griffith, Nikita Zaitsev and Frankie Corrado, along with Peter Holland, will be RFAs this summer. Only Corrado and Holland will have arbitration rights.

More significant -- from a team building perspective -- are the veterans who will be unrestricted free agents whose salaries will fall off: Brooks Laich, Milan Michalek, Colin Greening, Matt Hunwick, along with the less expensive Jhonas Enroth and Ben Smith.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
First actual bad team game of the year.

And the worst cuplrits were Bozak, JVR, and Polak.

Nice to see Babcock recognize it and rip the team's performance for the first time this year - and call out Bozak and JVR specifically for awful games.

Hopefully we see more of Kadri and Marner together, and Polak shouldnreally sit for Corrado.

What do you have against Marner. :help:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I actually thought the Leafs were playing just fine until that 3rd goal that Enroth caused. Wheels came off at that point.

They were doing ok.
People are way overreacting to this tired team. following an emotional loss.

They'll be right, if we don't get 3 points this week.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

The wheels just keep coming off at one moment or another. I can relate to this organization. If they were winning all the time, I would stop watching. There would be no need to hope for that big win. Maybe this one or the next one. Sooner or later.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad