Sportsnet: Leafs in middle of most unexpected hot streak

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
10-1-1 = 143 point season. no team is that good so of course it's not sustainable.
as for a potential collapse, some points to consider:
-we have a different team with improved depth. some of our collapse last year was due to overplaying our 1st line and having a nonexistent 4th.
-1st line will be less likely to be burned out due to the previous point
-bernier needs to stay healthy
-improved leadership (komarov)
-no olympics which tired out some of our star players (kessel/jvr)

1976-1977

Montreal
Games: 80
Wins: 60
Ties: 8

Not sure there'll be a better season, so unlikely someone goes 143 points, however, there were no 3 point games back then, and there was no opportunity to get the 2nd. point in overtime.

Maybe a 132 points in 1977 is greater than the inflated 143 points suggested?

I'd say the 1st. line hasn't been firing on all cylinders during this streak, really it is probably more due to Santorelli's hot streak than the 1st. line, however the 1st. line doesn't have to cycle to score goals, as 2 of their players are shooting at 17% right now. The 3rd. is shooting at 13%. Obviously, more goals in an equal number of shots.

Eyeball and stats agree, the Leafs are making the most of their opportunities right now.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The final 16 games last year, the Leafs accumulated 5 out of a possible 32 points. It is highly improbable that can happen to this team again.

Probably can't be as bad as that, but this team has clearly shown a habit of starting strong and finishing poorly, ironically the opposite of how their in-game showings go.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The final 16 games last year, the Leafs accumulated 5 out of a possible 32 points. It is highly improbable that can happen to this team again.

Phaneuf has said he wasn't playing well during that streak, perhaps with his reduced workload that won't be a problem this year. If your supposed best defenseman isn't playing well, and your goaltenders aren't stealing games (maybe some correlation there?) bad things might happen.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
A dismissive approach is only taken when no other reasonable rebuttals can be formulated.

Besides, I still immensely enjoy watching and playing hockey. And discussing it. Here.

It's also taken when I just don't care about arguing whether or not the Leafs are a terrible hockey team.

A dismissive approach is often the key to sanity. Serenity now.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011

interesting point. it's hard to compare results between eras. for example, 50 goals nowadays was more commonplace in the 80s and early 90s.

teamwise, not so sure. didn't montreal always get the 1st pick back then?
edit: no they didn't. i was influenced about how montreal got the 1st overall even after winning the cup

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2004
Is it really so bad for Leaf fans to just enjoy the ride?

Why is the media so intent on tearing this team down? Honestly?

1) No one's "intent" on anything. They're reporting facts.
2) Yes you can enjoy the ride. Just don't get too excited, because - as we have all seen before - it just makes the fall even more painful.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs 3 top scorers are on the 1st. line, and that line is continuously torn down around here.

What's the difference between the media spouting off about crappy CORSI and the fans here misusing CORSI for individual players?

The winning streak has reduced a lot of criticism on the players and the team.

Now constructive criticism is focused and contained mainly to advanced stats that identify areas of weakness that could use improvement.

The streak and the advanced stats don't align with expectations, but sometimes you don't look a gift horse in the mouth and simply enjoy the ride.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
1976-1977

Montreal
Games: 80
Wins: 60
Ties: 8

Not sure there'll be a better season,
so unlikely someone goes 143 points, however, there were no 3 point games back then, and there was no opportunity to get the 2nd. point in overtime.

I'd say the 1st. line hasn't been firing on all cylinders during this streak, really it is probably more due to Santorelli's hot streak than the 1st. line, however the 1st. line doesn't have to cycle to score goals, as 2 of their players are shooting at 17% right now. The 3rd. is shooting at 13%. Obviously, more goals in an equal number of shots.

Eyeball and stats agree, the Leafs are making the most of their opportunities right now.

Detroits 95-96 season had 62 wins and 7 ties for 131 points in 82 games. That's as close as any team will probably get.

Last edited:

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
1) No one's "intent" on anything. They're reporting facts.
2) Yes you can enjoy the ride. Just don't get too excited, because - as we have all seen before - it just makes the fall even more painful.

I didn't realise that the facts were always bad with the Leafs. You'd think a team this close to the top of the league would have something positive going for it.

As for the bottom portion, thanks for the warning, bug I think I'll just enjoy the ride and not worry so much about a collapse that May or may not happen.

silentbob37*

10-1-1 = 143 point season. no team is that good so of course it's not sustainable.
as for a potential collapse, some points to consider:
-we have a different team with improved depth. some of our collapse last year was due to overplaying our 1st line and having a nonexistent 4th.
-1st line will be less likely to be burned out due to the previous point
-bernier needs to stay healthy
-improved leadership (komarov)
-no olympics which tired out some of our star players (kessel/jvr)

The Bolded points are nothing but excuses. That line/those players slumped just as hard earlier in the year, so bad that they fell from 2nd in the East out of the playoffs in late Dec and early Jan. So bad that Kessel was int he mid-late 20's in NHL scoring at one point. They didn't get tired (the poor babies), they just aren't consistent players.

I didn't realise that the facts were always bad with the Leafs. You'd think a team this close to the top of the league would have something positive going for it.

As for the bottom portion, thanks for the warning, bug I think I'll just enjoy the ride and not worry so much about a collapse that May or may not happen.

The thing, last year the samething happened. They played very well at times, were one of the top teams in the East on 2 different occasions, and a lot of people ignored the issus and problems the LEafs had, which eventually caught up to them.

Some people have just learned from history and aren't quick to ignore/dismiss the weaknesses of the team because of a 10 team hot streak.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008

Riding the roller coaster of optimism is infinitely more fun than the carousel of pessimism.

Shwaguy*

Yes exactly like last year's hot streak, and the year before... and the year before... before collapse.

Leafs went like 11-2-1 last year before they collapsed in the last quarter of the season, because the team wasn't playing great, they just had stellar goaltending (which isn't sustainable -- you think Bernier is going to maintain a .930+ Sv% like he has in this streak?) and a hot streak in shooting (do you think Leafs are going to continue scoring on almost 15% of their shots? 10-11% is more realistic).

You say they have been playing good hockey, but all analysts, and the coach and the players say no.

Considering those things have both been happening for the last 3 years (2 for Bernier) When healthy, yeah I do think we can maintain that.

We have been for the last 3 years! How's that for your sample size.

Shwaguy*

The Bolded points are nothing but excuses. That line/those players slumped just as hard earlier in the year, so bad that they fell from 2nd in the East out of the playoffs in late Dec and early Jan. So bad that Kessel was int he mid-late 20's in NHL scoring at one point. They didn't get tired (the poor babies), they just aren't consistent players.

The thing, last year the samething happened. They played very well at times, were one of the top teams in the East on 2 different occasions, and a lot of people ignored the issus and problems the LEafs had, which eventually caught up to them.

Some people have just learned from history and aren't quick to ignore/dismiss the weaknesses of the team because of a 10 team hot streak.

You mean that time when Jay freaking Mclement was being played as our #1 Center?

Also you've failed to note our improved Penalty Kill, Which was good the year we made the playoffs, if our penalty kill wasn't dead last last year the story mighta been different.

Ace88*

I too am really enjoying this winning streak! It would be a really nice Christmas gift, if they could win the rest of their games before the holiday break!

Go LEAFS Go.

Lololololol you were one of the loudest "tear it down, get rid of phil, crucify phaneuf" posters on this board not 45 days ago. Hilarious how your tune has changed.

silentbob37*

You mean that time when Jay freaking Mclement was being played as our #1 Center?

Also you've failed to note our improved Penalty Kill, Which was good the year we made the playoffs, if our penalty kill wasn't dead last last year the story mighta been different.

Are Kessel and JVR not good enough to remain productive with a center who isn't as productive? Considering how many people want that top line split up, I think most would disagree with that.

So if the players were better that would have done better? I agree.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Leafs 3 top scorers are on the 1st. line, and that line is continuously torn down around here.

What's the difference between the media spouting off about crappy CORSI and the fans here misusing CORSI for individual players?

What do you mean misusing Corsi? Why did you capitalize it? And forget about Corsi, the top line still has a 5v5 GF% around 45%, so of course they get flak for their even strength play.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Most teams in the NHL will have a hot streak and cold streak throughout the season. In typical Leafs fashion they hit the hot streak before the trade deadline to ensure the team is in the thick of a playoff spot ensuring no one gets traded by the trade deadline.

Once the trade deadline passes and the players know trades will not happen the team will coast to the end of the year getting on the cold streak. It has happened too often with this group, so I wouldn't read anything with this hot streak. Where it counts will be at the end of the season, then we should see if the team has changed.

Tyler Biggs*

I don't think you will see any huge fall for this group. They have filled holes with quality accountable players.

Biggest differences from last year: this team does not let up after they are leading and they can still score even when the first line has an off night.

Tyler Biggs*

Keep things in perspective and keep improving. The Leafs might not be Stanley cup champs, but they're headed in the right direction! Good job team!

Ace88*

It is the medias job to report the facts...

Im hoping really hard you arent this obliviously naive. Reaaaaaally hard. I suppose the toronto media only ever reports facts? Stone cold, never biased, spun or doctored facts?

Leafspoison*

Nonis was a big part of the collapse last year. We were rolling at the trade deadline and he had the chance to add some key pieces and he chose to stand pat. I am not sure if many of you remember that, but there was a herd of us calling for his head because we knew that the team was going to down spiral.

Then, because of the tool he is, he let players walk, that could have been traded for upgrades.

I like our chances this year. (first time I have said that in a long time), but I think Nonis needs to make one key deal for another quality D man around 30 years old. You can have young forwards rolling, but D men don't mature until 27 and up. One experienced shut down guy would be nice. I am not talking about a top 5 D in the league, I am talking a solid D man.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Nonis was a big part of the collapse last year. We were rolling at the trade deadline and he had the chance to add some key pieces and he chose to stand pat. I am not sure if many of you remember that, but there was a herd of us calling for his head because we knew that the team was going to down spiral.

Then, because of the tool he is, he let players walk, that could have been traded for upgrades.

I like our chances this year. (first time I have said that in a long time), but I think Nonis needs to make one key deal for another quality D man around 30 years old. You can have young forwards rolling, but D men don't mature until 27 and up. One experienced shut down guy would be nice. I am not talking about a top 5 D in the league, I am talking a solid D man.

Got to agree with everything here.

Our quality of Dmen after phaneuf are not very good at all. That combined with lack of secondary scoring killed us last year.

This year we have secondary scoring but still need another quality Dman to steady things in the back end. If Nonis fails to deliver, he should be fired. RC is getting the most out of the roster he was given atm.

hockeyfanz*

I am shocked actually at how well the team has played against the best teams in the league. Mind you on at least 2 occassions, I wasn't impressed with the W..Detroit game 1 and Anaheim. I thought the Leafs were outclassed in both games. But I have to give credit where credit is due.

Bernier is great...again..and we all know how goaltending can really make the difference between a mediocre team and a good team. And a good team to a great team. Most refreshing is that they have gone on this streak despite the crappy play of the perceived first line. Its the biggest difference. In the last couple of years with the scoring line doing poorly, the team went on a streak as well.....a losing streak.

It is a very positive sign to see the Leafs getting high caliber goaltending and fantastic secondary scoring with some grit thrown in.

Having said all that....I'm praising them but they haven't accomplished anything. Its not even Christmas. The team cannot let complacency set in and let up. Its not hard to understand the jaded Leafs Nations' skepticism. We have to see these guys take it into April and hopefully May.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad