GDT: Leafs @ Hurricanes Fri 20/11/2015 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
We are really doing it right right now. It's a beautifully thing when it happens like Babcock wants it. He is our reason.

Leafs are doing it big now, moving closer to the playoff spot. First the 10th, then the 9th.. and so one. Komarov is our best player right now. Easily. Babcock knows this too.

Is we going to go with bernier tomorrow and Reimer then against the bruins no?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
We are really doing it right right now. It's a beautifully thing when it happens like Babcock wants it. He is our reason.

Leafs are doing it big now, moving closer to the playoff spot. First the 10th, then the 9th.. and so one. Komarov is our best player right now. Easily. Babcock knows this too.

Is we going to go with bernier tomorrow and Reimer then against the bruins no?

I love the optimism and I agree for the most part - but Komarov isn't the best player on the team. Not even top 3 - though he is exceeding expectations, and I've been thoroughly impressed with how he's come back after a rough year last year (post Ovy).

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Where has it been said Corrado is playing? As far as I can tell Babcock has given no indication that he's playing tomorrow. I've watched his interview today and didn't catch him saying Corrado is in. Can anyone confirm?

Haha I was thinking the same thing. I think the poster was speaking fairy tales

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
LOL @ the majority here saying we are going to lose. Agreed, that our history has been poor vs CAR Cujo had problems with them, as a team we have had problems with them. But those were the Cujo years.

Reimer has a winning record against CAR 4-3-1 GAA 2.42 Sv%. 919

Plus, both Eddie Lack and Cam Ward have been playing poorly.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
TORONTO – Frankie Corrado practised again Thursday morning in his hometown without any hope of playing in a real game this weekend or in the foreseeable future.

“It’s not that we don’t like him … [but] we’re in the winning business so we try to do the best thing to give our team the chance to win. That’s no indication of how he’s played or what he’s done, it’s none of those things. Now what we’ve done is we’ve put him in a bad spot because he hasn’t played in a long time.”

http://www.tsn.ca/babcock-management-divide-leaves-corrado-in-limbo-1.396608

Could have gone in instead of Marincin. Clearly Babcock doesn't want this kid in the lineup.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
A couple of points regarding Corrado.

It sucks for a player to sit - just waiting to get in the games when he has no control over the situation. On the other hand, he's making big money (not that he even thinks about that) and he's got a job he loves, on a team, hopefully, he also loves. He just needs to be patient and keep working and as Lou says, make the most of the opportunity when he does get in. He will get a chance, he will get in, but, this is very very typical (as we are learning) of MB's way.

Marincin is learning and he makes mistakes, as is Harrington, but MB keeps giving guys chances and keeps playing guys who make mistakes as long as they are learning and putting in the effort. So, taking out Marincin or Harrington in order to 'try out' Corrado for one game to see how he does is not MB' MO.

And, people fearing, that if he gets in a game and plays bad, he'll never get back in. ALSO, not MB's MO. If he puts in an effort BUT makes a few big mistakes, he will still be given a fair shake and another chance. We see this within the games with MB as well. Players make mistakes but they aren't punished if it was a mistake but not from lack of 'try'. It's another reason to not just put Corrado in order to see how he does.

There is upside to having Corrado sitting. It is a CONSTANT REMINDER to both of Marinicin and Harrington (and even Rielly and Gardiner - though I don't think it shakes there confidence all that much because they are confident in their games), there is Corrado sitting there waiting to take out jobs. Pressure, yes, but, they know what they CAN control and that is their 'try' and their preparedness. We see them making mistakes, the two young Dmen, but, they look pretty darn prepared each and every game and there is good reason that they are.

Edit: So, I don't think it's MB's style to put in a player for a game, then, if the game is bad, put in another player, and then, do it over. He totally wants to refrain from doing that. Maybe, he thinks about the fragility of both Harrington and Marincin's confidence. As long as they work hard and work the right way, - even if they make mistakes - they keep playing. If, if there is an injury and Corrado is in, then, he'll have that same strategy with Corrado.

Also, is Corrado on the right side? If he is, (i think he is) then, he's on the same side as Phanuef, Rielly, and Pollack. If he replaces Pollack, okay, so, he's with Harrington or Marincin, but it wouldn't make sense to replace Phaneuf or Rielly, so, anyone else, and somebody has to change sides; not easy - Rielly maybe can do it, but it wouldn't be a good situation for young Dman.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
dude. We always struggle against Carolina. ALWAYS.
just like we always struggle against Buffalo

all teams have their buggaboos. those two are ours.

If you want to be successful, these things have to change.

Good time against a team which has been .333 since the beginning of the month. (Boston has been .333 as well)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If you want to be successful, these things have to change.

Good time against a team which has been .333 since the beginning of the month. (Boston has been .333 as well)

well I don't think so. like I mean - every team in the league has that team they just can't beat. regardless of the team, the year, or the history. like. San Jose (beast mode or not) - always struggle vs. Buffalo. Always.

As far back as I can recall - Colorado (and Buffalo) had their way with us. But at the same token - we always had our way vs. Ottawa (well before they had their way with us, then the tide turned).

you can be successful, but have that team that is like a pebble in your shoe. :) that's all i mean.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
What a difference a year makes under the new Shanahan regime. We're approaching the one year anniversary of salute gate.

shanahan625apr11.jpg

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
:leafs at :canes

Fri
20/11/2015
7:00 PM

LIVE ON SNO Radio: Listen Live

This is the biggest test for me so far.
Remember when they'd beat great teams and then lose to terrible teams?
That crap needs to stop otherwise you'll never make headway. These are the teams that you need to grab points from to rise in the standings.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I have a feeling there will be more people in the GDT than there will be in the stands tonight, LOL.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Have they announced the starter yet?

No. To me this is the most important and interesting thing tonight. They should go with Bernier tonight, because tomorrow's game suits Reimer right now better. Bernier can win tonight, but reimer tomorrow would really be solid rock stuff for certainly. Our team that great right now. The Babcock efect + Komarov.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
You got our hopes up :(

Ya I know, I was really looking forward to seeing him too, sorry about that, it seems there is a real conveluted story of why he thought Corrado was in and I won't even try to explain but here's what Babcock is saying.

Leafs practices are short, but not sweet

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/19/leafs-practices-are-short-but-not-sweet

WHERE’S FRANKIE?

When the Leafs claimed Frankie Corrado off waivers two months ago, it was considered a depth move on defence for a team not necessarily that deep.

Circumstances have conspired to keep Corrado out of the lineup, however, and the Toronto native is still waiting to play a game for his hometown team.

“He’s done nothing wrong,” Babcock said of Corrado. “We wanted to give him a chance with the Marlies (on a conditioning stint) and get him playing and then our team started playing good.

“We’re in the winning business so we try to do the best thing to give our team the chance to win. That’s no indication of how he’s played or what he’s done, it’s none of those things.

“I worry about the team then all the other stuff looks after itself.”

Overall, Babcock feels the players in the lineup have made it tough for others to fight their way in.

“I think it’s a competitive group,” Babcock said. “When guys get their opportunity, they do good things with it. It’s a challenge for everyone. To me, there’s a a lot of parity on our team. If you work hard, you get to play.”

QUICK HITS

Joffrey Lupul and Leo Komarov, who missed Wednesday’s practice, were back on the ice Thursday ... That suddenly red-hot Leafs power play could be put to the test against the Hurricanes. Why? Because on Monday, they didn’t take a penalty against the Anaheim Ducks, who also didn’t visit the box. It was the first game in the NHL this year that went penalty-free ... Both the Leafs and Hurricanes begin a three-in-four nights run when they square off Friday in Carolina ... The improving Leafs faceoff efforts also will be put to the test against the ’Canes, who currently rank second in the NHL with a 53.6 win percentage. Jordan Staal leads the way at a 57.9% clip ... Leafs winger Shawn Mattias on keeping up in Babcock practices: “At first everything’s new, but if it’s not getting easier for you, there’s something wrong. We’re almost at Game 20 here. You better hope it’s getting easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad